Story story COMPLETE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
An England cricket squad will be travelling to Australia for the famous Ashes test series against "the old enemy" and a following one day international competition that includes New Zealand.

England's chairman of selectors, David Graveney, has announced the squad that will go on the tour. It is shown below:

Michael Vaughan (captain)
James Anderson
Ian Bell
Paul Collingwood
Alastair Cook
Andrew Flintoff
Steve Harmison
Matthew Hoggard
Simon Jones
Sajid Mahmood
Monty Panesar
Kevin Pietersen
Liam Plunkett
Matt Prior (wicketkeeper)
Chris Read (wicketkeeper)
Owais Shah
Ryan Sidebottom
Andrew Strauss

Injury plagued Michael Vaughan and Simon Jones are selected, Matt Prior is selected instead of Geraint Jones as wicketkeeper and Owais Shah and Ryan Sidebottom get the chance to go on tour with their country.

The schedule for the tour will be announced shortly.

World famous radio cricket show, BBC Test Match Special, would like as much opinion from the public as possible throughout England's tour of Australia. Comments are welcome, as well as participation in the regular "Poll of the Day". Today's poll question is: "Was Matt Prior a good choice for the England squad?". To have your say, please vote in the poll at the top of the page.

Last edited:

Jaztheman

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I voted yes in the poll by the way.

Team loks good enough for you to even and try to win the ashes but i think the weak link may be the injuries, any how good luck with the story.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
I hope you've got Henry Blofeld on your commentary team!!!

I probably won't be typing match reports in a commentary style.

I voted yes in the poll by the way.

Team loks good enough for you to even and try to win the ashes but i think the weak link may be the injuries, any how good luck with the story.

Yeah, it is difficult enough to beat Australia with a fully fit squad!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Injuries have savaged the England squad since they arrived in Australia.

Captain Michael Vaughan will not be able to play cricket for at least another 12 weeks with a reoccurence of his long term knee injury and fast bowler Simon Jones has been ruled out for another 10 weeks with a similar problem. Wicketkeeper Matt Prior had a broken finger but has since recovered and he is fit to play.

The schedule for the tour has been announced, and can be seen below:

17th November 2006: 3 day game v New South Wales at Brisbane, Match Drawn
23rd November 2006: 1st test at TBC
1st December 2006: 2nd test at TBC
9th December 2006: 3 day game v Victoria at TBC
14th December 2006: 3rd test at TBC
26th December 2006: 4th test at TBC
2nd January 2007: 5th test at TBC
9th January 2007: Twenty20 International at TBC

The schedule for the Commonwealth Bank Series, the one day international competition involving Australia, England and New Zealand, will be announced closer to the end of the Ashes test series.

Last edited:

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Good start mate,im looking forward to this!:)

Thanks, I will try my best to keep it interesting.

England's first match on their tour of Australia, a three day match against New South Wales, has begun at Brisbane. That is the England team:

England

1. Andrew Strauss (captain)
2. Alastair Cook
3. Owais Shah
4. Ian Bell
5. Kevin Pietersen
6. Paul Collingwood
7. Matt Prior (wicketkeeper)
8. Liam Plunkett
9. Matthew Hoggard
10. Steve Harmison
11. Monty Panesar

Andrew Strauss acts as captain in place of the injured Michael Vaughan and Owais Shah and Matt Prior are included under observation.

The weather is expected to be dry for all three days of the match, with most sunshine expected in the evenings. The pitch will aid batsmen, there will be very little help for either fast bowlers or spin bowlers.

Andrew Strauss called heads at the coin toss, but called incorrectly and his team were told to bowl first, not what he would have wanted.

The New South Wales team includes Michael Clarke, Simon Katich, Brett Lee, Nathan Bracken, Stuart Clark and Glenn McGrath, all players that have played against England in recent years or could play against them during this tour.

Match Update

Matt Prior happily took a catch behind off the bowling of Matthew Hoggard to remove Greg Mail for just 6 runs off 12 balls, then Hoggard dealt a huge blow by getting out Michael Clarke, caught by Alastair Cook at slip for just 1. Cook himself was in the action soon afterwards, taking a stunning catch to dismiss Stephen Phillips, again to Hoggard as England began to make inroads.

The Yorkshireman was bowling beautifully, a welcome sight for England fans. His fourth wicket was that of Ed Cowan for a 13 ball duck. His companion Steve Harmison made his own breakthrough, taking the wicket of Simon Katich for just 6 and reducing the New South Welshmen to an astonishing 23-5. Matthew Phelps was Hoggard's 5th victim, another catch for wicketkeeper Prior.

Harmison was replaced by Monty Panesar shortly afterwards, but Hoggard was feeling no strains! He picked up his sixth with the wicket of Brad Haddin. Monty Panesar got in the act later on, bowling some magic deliveries and taking a wicket. Hoggard's eventual replacement Liam Plunkett mopped up the tail as New South Wales were bowled out for just 44.

Those are the innings statistics:

newsouthwales1stinningsth5.jpg

Match Summary

New South Wales 1st innings: 44 all out (Hoggard 6/13)

kookaburra69

International Coach
Wow thats an awesome display of bowling from the English,Hoggard was amazing with 6 wickets for only 13 runs.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Wow thats an awesome display of bowling from the English,Hoggard was amazing with 6 wickets for only 13 runs.

I was surprised at how poor New South Wales were, to say the conditions suited them!

Match Update

England batted through until lunch and then came back out to lose their first wicket with the score on 14. Andrew Strauss was well caught off the bowling of Glenn McGrath for 13. Alastair Cook faced 71 balls before being out off the bowling of Stuart Clark for 16, which brought Ian Bell to the crease with Owais Shah.

Shah was dismissed by Nathan Bracken, bowled from around the wicket for 10. This brought fan's favourite Kevin Pietersen to the crease but he didn't last long, caught at slip for only 3. After Ian Bell's unfortunate run out, new wicketkeeper Matt Prior came to the wicket, fresh after recovering from a broken finger and taking some good catches earlier on in the match. His day got even better, he batted past tea to score a reasonably quick fire 65 only to be caught in the deep by Glenn McGrath.

mattpriorep0.jpg

Matt Prior was England's top scorer with 65 impressing the coach

Collingwood was sadly out before he could make his half century, as England ended the first day of their tour on 183-8, a lead of 139. The tail managed to squeeze through to 201 before the final wicket fell.

england1stinningsstatiszg5.jpg

New South Wales began their second innings 157 runs behind and the in form Matthew Hoggard took the wicket of Greg Mail in the first over to add to their tension. They batted through until lunch, then began to build a partnership that was eventually broken by Monty Panesar.

Wickets continued to tumble and by tea the home team were still 10 runs behind with only 4 wickets in hand. However, a post team comeback saw them finish the day on 267-7. No rain is predicted, so the final day should be a cracker.

Match Summary

New South Wales 1st innings: 44 all out (Hoggard 6/13)
England 1st innings: 201 all out (Prior 65)
New South Wales 2nd innings: 267/7

kookaburra69

International Coach
Prior batted well and NSW have made a way better start to their second innings.

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Prior batted well and NSW have made a way better start to their second innings.

Yeah, it was a shame about the rest of the team though!

Monty Panesar took bowling figures of 5-84 but the New South Wales tail frustrated England on the final day of their three day warm up match at Brisbane.

matthewphelpsfb2.jpg

Matthew Phelps celebrates his century on the final day against England

Matthew Phelps finished on 101 not out to boost his team's score to 340 all out, setting England a target of 184 runs to win with almost two full sessions remaining.

newsouthwales2ndinningstk0.jpg

Alastair Cook was out for a sixth ball duck though, getting England's chase off to a bad start. Owais Shah and Ian Bell also perished before tea, leaving the tourists on 66-3 with one session remaining.

englandfanxw8.jpg

An English fan is disappointed not to see the team win

Despite the best efforts of Andrew Strauss, who made 75, and Kevin Pietersen, who made 55, the match ended in a disappointing draw. Phelps was named man of the match for his match saving century in the second innings.

england2ndinningsstatisoy0.jpg

PhilD123

International Coach
Unlucky England, KP and Strauss were a bit too slow in chasing that target to be honest. Still, a good performance against a bowling attack which could very much pass for a test attack.

Nice start Lee.

Karachi Xpress

Chairman of Selectors
To be honest I dont like the presentation...U cud make it better by using coloured fonts! Thats my opinion though!

Good start for Lee and I hope that England beat Australia!

Skater

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Unlucky England, KP and Strauss were a bit too slow in chasing that target to be honest. Still, a good performance against a bowling attack which could very much pass for a test attack.

Nice start Lee.
Thanks, I hope they play as well in the Ashes.
To be honest I dont like the presentation...U cud make it better by using coloured fonts! Thats my opinion though!

Good start for Lee and I hope that England beat Australia!
I will use colour on fonts from now on.
Nice pres Skateboarder!

Thanks very much.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hogging the limelight

Yorkshire and England bowler Matthew Hoggard took match figures of 10-140 in the three day warm up match against New South Wales at Brisbane, and is looking forward to the battle for the Ashes.

"People said my style of bowling would do nothing in Australia. It certainly did something against New South Wales," he said.

"They certainly weren't useless, most of those batsmen will end up in the Australian team," he added.

With more of a confidence in his own ability than a big headedness, Hoggard looks in fine form ahead of the first Ashes test at Brisbane.

69961kd8.jpg

Hoggard: a winter to remember?

Fast bowler Simon Jones will not be fit for the series despite being selected. Hopes are that he will recover in time for the Commonwealth Bank Series that includes New Zealand.

Captain Michael Vaughan will miss the majority of the tour. Andrew Strauss is favourite to replace him.

My target is the summer

England captain Michael Vaughan says his target to return for serious knee injury is the summer's home series - NOT the Ashes.

"There's no chance of me playing in the Ashes," Vaughan said.

65041.jpg

Vaughan: more crocket than cricket

"I'm out for another 12 weeks, and that's well past the Ashes," he groaned.

What do Test Match Special listeners feel about recent happenings on tour? Voice your opinions now!

Last edited:

Dalek

Club Cricketer
great figures for hoggard, great work once again SkateBoarder :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread