Draft: The All-Time One-Day Draft

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
PlanetCricket Award Winner
But he could give you 8-1-5-20 on a good day. (That's 8 overs 1 maiden 5 wickets for 20 runs. )
Oh he absolutely could!

Sadly these good days were a rarity during his international career.
His Test career was a non-starter, but his white-ball career was far better than people give him credit for. 62 wickets at 23 apiece and a wicket every 4.3 overs is a huge weapon in an ODI team

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
@Aislabie i hope you find time to finish the analysis someday. Was really looking forward to my team's analysis after such a challenging and enjoyable draft.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
@Aislabie i hope you find time to finish the analysis someday. Was really looking forward to my team's analysis after such a challenging and enjoyable draft.
I'm sorry I completely forgot. Still not found anywhere to live, but things have settled down in terms of sheer stress so I shall start doing them again in the next day or so

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@Mittal2002
1. :aus: :bat: David Warner
2. :sri: :ar: Tillakaratne Dilshan
3. :aus: :bat: Greg Chappell
4. :zim: :wk: Andy Flower :redo:
5. :pak: :bat: Misbah ul-Haq
6. :aus: :bat: Michael Bevan
7. :ind: :ar: Kapil Dev
8. :ind: :bwl: Ajit Agarkar
9. :eng: :bwl: Hedley Verity :slvo:
10. :wi: :bwl: Tony Gray
11. :saf: :bwl: Allan Donald
12th man - :hkg: Mark Chapman :redo:

So let's get this re-analysis started.

While I think Warner and Dilshan are decent enough top-order hitters, I'll agree with @Aislabie in that the middle is a bit weak in terms of scoring quick runs. They are excellent players, top class...but the middle will only keep things ticking along. It's probably only until Kapil and Ajit (hit out or get out) that you'll really find some acceleration in the scoring rate. This is an excellent chasing team, but not so much a first innings team. If a captain won the toss and put them in first innings, I can see them getting rolled over. If they're chasing though, well...no score is too big. They know that they have cameos in the back end to overhaul a score. But the run rate will approach 10, 12 an over. That's scary.

I'd probably push Donald up the order. Just me. He's a better batsman than people give him credit for.

(Will give other thoughts later on. Aim is to do every team.)

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@qpeedore

1. :aus: :bat: Matthew Hayden
2. :hkg: :arwk: Anshuman Rath :redo:
3. :sri: :wk: Kumar Sangakkara
4. :wi: :bat: Everton Weekes :slvo:
5. :wi: :ar: Viv Richards
6. :ire: :ar: Kevin O'Brien :redo:
7. :pak: :ar: Shahid Afridi
8. :ind: :bwl: Ravichandran Ashwin
9. :wi: :bwl: Andy Roberts
10. :usa: :bwl: Ali Khan :redo:
11. :wi: :bwl: Colin Croft
12th man - :wi: Denesh Ramdin

Well, this is my team. As much as I really do like Rath, I'm not sure he really fits into the squad, to be honest. And as I said earlier in the thread, I think Weekes and Viv are going to have a bit of a fight for that middle order scoring spot. I honestly think I've got too many hitters in my team and not enough actual scorers. In my team it's a bunch of big players and until Ashwin it's boundaries or out. Viv could play a damn good defensive game when he was ready, but that was not natural to him. My bowlers are good but never great, except maybe Roberts. I have pretty much an all-round team, but not great at one or the other. This is a batting first team, in my opinion. Set a target and defend the hell out of it.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@ahmedleo414

1. :eng: :bat: Graham Gooch
2. :aus: :wk: Adam Gilchrist
3. :aus: :bat: Ricky Ponting
4. :pak: :bat: Mohammad Yousuf
5. :ire: :bat: Ed Joyce :redo:
6. :sri: :ar: Arjuna Ranatunga
7. :eng: :ar: Ian Botham
8. :zim: :ar: Heath Streak
9. :ind: :bwl: Anil Kumble
10. :saf: :bwl: Makhaya Ntini
11. :wi: :bwl: Courtney Walsh
12th man - :ken: Thomas Odoyo :redo:

I love Goochy, I really do. At the top with a guy like Gilly, you might think you've got the perfect facilitator/scorer partnership. But with Ponting, Yousuf, Joyce to come, Ranatunga is probably only going to have about 8 overs to hit out. This is an excellent team for the late 90's/early 00's where you'd get the par of 250-ish batting first. With Streak, Ntini, and Walsh leading the bowling though, this is probably a bowling first sort of team and then push Ranas, Botham and even Kumble up the order to get quick runs so that guys like Ponting and Yousuf can guide the team home.

qpeedore

SOTM Winner - July 2014
@AsadRM:

1. :nzf: :wk: Brendon McCullum
2. :pak: :bat: Saeed Anwar
3. :aus: :bat: Steve Smith
4. :pak: :bat: Inzamam-ul-Haq
5. :eng: :ar: Ben Stokes
6. :aus: :bat: David Hussey
7. :saf: :bat: David Miller
8. :pak: :ar: Wasim Akram
9. :eng: :bwl: Adil Rashid
10. :pak: :bwl: Waqar Younis
11. :den: :bwl: Ole Mortensen :redo:

12th man - :nam: Ray van Schoor :redo:

I think @Aislabie got it totally correct with this one. McCullum and Anwar leading to Smith and Inzy. Even if you lose early wickets, the batsmen are going to hold up. But then you've got the rescuers aka "firefighters" in Hussey and Miller. Akram can hold his bat too. Unsure where you're going with the bowling once Waqar and Wasim are done though. While Rashid is handy, he isn't what you'd consider a strike spinner, no matter what people say. Goes at almost 5.4 an over and takes a wicket every 6 overs. Then who? Stokes is a decent option. Fifth bowler? Great batting, but unless Wasim and Waqar demolish the team early on, you're in trouble. Batting first sort of team, set a huge total and then unleash the swing kings on an older pitch.

EDIT: Small mistake. Batsmen ARE going to hold up, not AREN'T going to hold up.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread