Story The Natwest Pentangular 2005 -- Begins April 24th

Who will win the Natwest Pentangular?

• Total voters

aditya123

National Board President
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox One
The BCCI have confirmed India`s participation in the upcoming Natwest Pentangular in England also involving the hosts England , World champions Australia , arch rivals Pakistan and the ICC Champions trophy champions West Indies .
Sky Sports will be the official broadcasters for UK,Carribean and Australian viewers while ESPN STAR SPORTS will be the official Broadcasters for the Subcontinent viewers .
With the seies being played in April which is summer vacation time in India and Pakistan , the fans hope for a fantastic contset on the cricket field between five of the most attractive teams in ODI cricket
Can India repeat the magic of Natwest 2002 to shrug off the indifferent form against Pakistan ?? Wait and Watch .

Here is what the Captains had to say about the series :

Rahul Dravid (India) : " The series promises to be a thriller . Australia are definitely the favorites but India, Pakistan, West Indies and England are all very dangerous ODI outfits . As far as we are concerned , we have not played to our full potential since the World Cup in 2003 and hope to get back the consistency which made us a very good side in the Natwest Series 2002 and the period leading up to th world cup . The boys are up for the series especially because it is being played in England and all of them have experienced some great moments in England . "

Michael Vaugan : " I agree with what Rahul had to say and share the same sentiments as him . Australia are outright favorites . The other teams can compete as well and we will see a great contest . We have been doing superbly in th test format but have been quite disappointing in the ODIs except for a few good prformances last season . All the five teams are exciting ODI teams . The team which plays well on a consistent basis will win since this is a long tournament . The tournament is also important for us since it will set the tone for The Ashes to follow . The first game at Lord`s against India is very crucial . We have never done well against them at Lords and hope to reverse th trnd this time around ."

Ricky Ponting : " A great tournament in prospect . I do not believe that any team can wear a favorites tag in ODI cricket though we do look the most well balanced outfit. India, Pakistan, the Windies, England are all superb ODI teams and we will have to play hard to win this series . The boys are in superb form , Brett and Glen are is outstanding bowling form while Gilly, Hayden and Martyn and myself had a good time with the bat in New Zealand . It will be interesting to see which team is ahead after
the first round of games since each team plays the others twice . We still have some time before our first game against Pakistan and it would be interesting to see how the tournament kicks off. "

Inzamam : " Ya , the boys are doing well . We won the series in India but that was all in the past . Inshallah, We will do well in the coming series also . Our bowlers especially Rana and Sami are in form and the pitches will suit them . It will be a tough series for sure "

Brian Lara : "The last time we landed in England to play an ODI tournamen , we won . I hope we repeat it this time though we will have to play out of our skins to win this one . All the teams are capable of beating each other and that is what makes this series very interesting . "

Attachments

• nat.jpg
    nat.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 177
  • itn.JPG
    itn.JPG
    60.3 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

aditya123

National Board President
Game 1 : India Vs England at Lords ,London

Taking Guard :
Harsha Bhogle : Welcome to Taking guard on what promises to be a super Sunday . The Natwest Pentangular 2005 kicks off today with the hom team taking on India . Myself and the whole ESPN STAR team , a few good men as we call ourselves will be with you throughout this fascinating tournament . With me are Sunil Gavaskar and Geoff Boycott . Good morning Sunny and Goeff .

Sunil Gavaskar : Good morning to all of you . A very important day this , for all Indian cricket fans because it is imperative to get off to a good start today in order to get back to form after the loss in th ODI series against Pakistan . I noticed that the Indians were unable to perform as a unit even though all the players looked to be in good touch . They have to really pull up their socks and recreate the magic of the Natwest Series 2002 and what better team to do that agaist , -- Geoffry`s very own England . Hello Geoff .

Geoffery : Miracles do not happen all the time sunny . In 2002 India were right up there as one the best teams in the world but now in 2005 ,they are really on the downward slide and England are on the ascendancy . Moreover India might be low on confidence after the series loss to Pakistan who were without a full squad . I said it the last time India were here for the Natwest challenge in 2003 and I say it again , `England are the favorite today` . As far as the whole series is concerned , the aussies look firm favorites . We have four teams in this tournament which are very similar and predictably unpredictable . So my money stays in my pocket .

Harsha : There You have the thoughts of Mr.Boycott and Sunny . After a break we`ll have the toss and the Pitch report with Ravi Shastri .
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

aditya123

National Board President
Pitch Report and the first 30 overs ! Live

Pitch Report With Ravi Shastri :
The pitch for this big game looks to be a superb one . It has a nice wheatish look to it and must have an even bounce . It should be a good strip for batting as Lord`s always has been. A score of 270 should be a par score and as as always the new ball will play some tricks in English conditions . The team which bowls better will have the upper hand . I feel the captain who wins the toss will elect to bat first .

Toss with Bob Willis :
Bob : I hav the two captains with me with Match Ref. Clive Lloyd . R.Dravid to toss the coin .
Heads is the call from the England captain and heads it is. Michael , what have you decided to do ?

Vaughan : We`ll have a bat .Looks a good pitch to bat on . We would ideally like to score around 275 and put India under pressure .

Bob : Any changes from the SA series ?

Vaughan : No, We have stuck with the same side .

Bob : Rahul , dissapointed at losing the toss ?

Dravid: It should not matter actually. The wicket should stay the same in the second innings or may even get better for batting . AS we all know , we chased 326 in the 2002 finals. As I have said earlier , it will be important for us to win the first game to get into the groove . Our batsmen have been in good touch but we did not click as a unit in the last series against Pakistan . Hope to get it right today !

Bob : There You have it , England have won the toss and decided to bat first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE (ANALYSIS) OF THE FIRST 30 OVERS ---

Harsha Bhogle : 159/2 after 30, a good start for England Ravi ! Marcus Trescothick , he loves th Indian bowling attack !

Ravi Shastri : A very good start . Trescothick played outstandingly well . He played straight and made the mediocre bowling performance by India pay . He was lucky to survive the first five overs of swing bowling by Bajaji . Nehra was disappointing to say the least . Balaji bowled a fiery spell to Geraint Jones and finally got his wicket . Vaughan and Strauss made sure that the good start was not wasted . If India do not get his wicket immediately, they are in some trouble with th beefy Flintoff to still come in for the slog overs.

Harsha Bhogle : Yes , looking dangerous indeed . Michael vaughan looks to be in prime form . Sometimes , I wonder why such a classy batsman has never been his ownself in ODIs . It might just be his day , who knows ! Flintoff still to come and England will be aiming for 300+ target , Ravi .

Ravi Shastri : Even if they score 300 , India must stay positive and I feel they have the batting to chase it . If Sehwag and Sachin Fire , they might even win but first try and get this pair of Strauss and Vaughan seperated
------------------------END OF ENGLAND INNINGS UPDATE-----------------
Harsha Bhogle : At the end of their 50 overs, England scored 282/5 but they must be dissapointed on not reaching 300 inspite of good contributions form Strauss,Flintoff and Vaughan . Your thoughts on that , Ravi !

Ravi : 282 is a big target and will take some getting .I thought Flintoff was outstanding in his innings and I don`t think it was a brave move by Dravid to bowl himself inspite of having Z.Khan`s quota of overs left . In the end it proved to be a tactical error and Zaheer bowled just 6 ovrs . He was the pick of the bowlers in my opinion . Patan was disappointing . An year ago , he was the emerging superstar of Indian cricket but now , all that sems to be a thing of the past . The swing which we associate with pathan seems missing . I hope he gets it back . Vaughan was outstanding in the anchorman role .The only criticim I feel one could make is that he batted just a bit too slowly in the slog overs
India have a target to chase and Sehwag and Sachin will havbe to fire together which has not hppened for quit some time now . If they fire , we have a match on our hands . I would prefer kaif batting at No.3 and Dhoi at No.7 if a wicket falls early .

Attachments

• Pack1shot.JPG
    Pack1shot.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 166
  • PAck2.JPG
    PAck2.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 167
  • pack3.JPG
    pack3.JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

Ramz

International Coach
awsome match so far man, i think it will be too close to comfort, but i think England will jus win, unless Sehwag,Dravid and Dhoni all fire. should be a great game, defo will keep up to date with it :)

Users who are viewing this thread