The VB Series 2006

VB Series Winner

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Go Katich and Gilly. Great win for the Aussies.

Katich finally shuts up his critics

Katich should be put at 4, his strike rate is more suited down there. I still want to see what Jaques and Gilly can do as an opening partnership.

to everyone who doubted katich, everyone who said jaques was the man, well, i spit on you, tonight has by far been one of the top nights of my short life.

thankyou, simon

I fully expect to see an average Aussie cricketer at the Sri Lankan annual awards telling Jayasaria he dropped the VB series :p

Great counter attack from Gilly though, gets dropped, sees the heads drop a bit and then preceeds to ram it home and fully demoralise the Lankans.

Nah, if Katich plays it's to open. Him and Gilly have already struck up a good partnership and good unsderstanding running between the wickets.

Sureshot said:
Nah, if Katich plays it's to open. Him and Gilly have already struck up a good partnership and good unsderstanding running between the wickets.

plus, gilly said to the press he wanted katich at the other end

Yep, Katich can attack but is a brilliant opener to nerdle it around. And to bat till the end and have the likes of Gilly, Ponting, Hussey, Symonds batting around him.

I don't mind seeing Jaques bat down the order but the batting line-up is far too good already! Its going to be hard to choose from Jaques and Katich (assuming he will continue his form).
Say goodbye to international cricket on free TV!

tsyrmas said:
to everyone who doubted katich, everyone who said jaques was the man, well, i spit on you, tonight has by far been one of the top nights of my short life.

thankyou, simon

Jaques is still the man and he will always be the man until he is given another chance and fails. Given we need to settle with our opening combo Katich will keep the opening role but that doesn't mean he is the better option. And we will never know who is the better option because Jaques hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do.

i think australia have been over using brett lee too much. his been playing cricket for 9 months non stop, and the the three finals has shown that his beginning to tire out

I'm sure they'll rest him on the tour to Bangledesh! Even though he probably won't want too (easy wickets :p).

JamesyJames3 said:
Katich really proved you wrong aussie1st ;)

How so? I said he was slow, that sure as hell didn't change.
Yes he made the big score but I never said he would never make a 100 I just said he struggled to carry on his 50. Lets see how he goes in SA against the 2nd best ODI attack (SA the one with Nel, Ntini and Kallis).

IloveGilly said:
I'm sure they'll rest him on the tour to Bangledesh! Even though he probably won't want too (easy wickets :p).

Heck our whole side better be rested. I want to see an A side playing Bangladesh including the next all rounder star in Henquries. A 4 strong pace attack of Bollinger, Tait, Bird, Johnson (if there is some other quick I missed they can replace Johnson and Bird).

aussie1st said:
Jaques is still the man and he will always be the man until he is given another chance and fails. Given we need to settle with our opening combo Katich will keep the opening role but that doesn't mean he is the better option. And we will never know who is the better option because Jaques hasn't been given a chance to show what he can do.

Yes you're right, despite Katich playing very well, he was staying with Gilchrist who shaping up the victory all he needed to do is play the role that he did. And he did do it well. What I'm saying is that he hasn't proved himself in high pressure situations where he has to stand up above the rest. Ian Chappell said something about how anyone could sit there with Gilchrist at the other end, I wouldn't say anyone but I'm sure there are more productive players to fill the role. Jaques obviously deserves a go at the top of the order, and even in his debut match stayed cool under the pressure and guided the middle order before being given out unluckily.

Users who are viewing this thread