Top 10 Test Batsmen

ok here's my top ten batsman
1. A.Nel
2. S.Bond
3. D.Steyn
4. Malinga
5. Ntini
6...... ok you get the point i love tailenders :)

I'll make a list for the players I've watched. I can't judge purely based on statistics (except Bradman, of course), so I can only judge what i've seen.

In no particular order:

Brian Lara
Sachin Tendulkar
Rahul Dravid
VVS Laxman
Kumar Sangakkara
Mohommad Yousuf
Ricky Ponting
Jacques Kallis
Adam Gilchrist
Marvan Attapatu
Micheal Hussey*

Odd Picks-Justifications
VVS Laxman- One of the most unluckiest cricketers to grace the field. He is purely genius on his day. His flicks off the pads and his grace through the covers is, as Cricinfo says, "a sight for the gods". He has mastered the best attack against the world- Australia, and I'm sure all Aussies do agree that he is one of the prime batsman in the test arena. One innings justifies his inclusion in my list-281, Kolkatta, 2001.

Adam Gilchrist- Averages 50 batting at Seven in tests, and for a side which displays such a strong top order thats an amazing feat. And a strike rate of 82 in tests, wow.

Marvan Attapatu- When he was on his peak, he was the best batsman in the world and there was no arguing about that. 2003-2004 was simply brilliant stuff from him. He knocked over double-hundreds with such ease and authority- similar to Sangakkara off late.

Micheal Hussey- His average is bradmanesque. The only reason I placed an asterisk next to him is that he's relatively fresh in the test scene. He's only played around 20 matches, but to maintain an average that high for so long is great.

ok here's my top ten batsman
1. A.Nel
2. S.Bond
3. D.Steyn
4. Malinga
5. Ntini
6...... ok you get the point i love tailenders :)

What about C.Walsh. He was greatest number 11 batsmen to ever grace the game of cricket.:hpraise

Adam Gilchrist- Averages 50 batting at Seven in tests, and for a side which displays such a strong top order thats an amazing feat. And a strike rate of 82 in tests, wow.
Sorry, but I don't think any batsman who bats lower then 4 deserves to be in the Top 10 Test Batsman of all time. Steve Waugh is the only one who comes to mind for his grit & determination to churn out centuries against tough opposition in tough conditions whilst if Gilchrist was put in that position he would more then likely throw his wicket away.

No doubt, it's a great feat to average over or around 50 in Test Cricket but you're justifycation is completely wrong, if anything batting with an extremely good top order would make it easier for him. Players like Langer, Hayden, Ponting, Mark & Steve Waugh & Martyn who he played along side we're all way better Test Batsman then he was/is.

I hear he averaged near a 100 or something so did that mean he got a 100 everytime?

Well its an average mate, I'm sure you know what they are and how they are made. Ponting has an average of 60 does he get that every time? It's no different to anyone else's average.

What is so good about Don Bradman?

Well he is the best sportsmen of all time, according to this world wide sports thing. He beat Pele because Bradman was better than more people Pele was.

That's whats good about him. Best batter ever by a long shot. Can I ask, why are you asking this? Is it because you know very little about him and haven't exactly heard what he did? or you doubt he was that good?

The guy was a freak. He was so much better than anyone else it wasn't funny. He once scored 1 hundred runs in 3 overs (mind you, they were 8 ball overs). He would pull balls for 4 off middle stump and would just pick the runs of left, right and center.

Well its an average mate, I'm sure you know what they are and how they are made. Ponting has an average of 60 does he get that every time? It's no different to anyone else's average.

Well he is the best sportsmen of all time, according to this world wide sports thing. He beat Pele because Bradman was better than more people Pele was.

That's whats good about him. Best batter ever by a long shot. Can I ask, why are you asking this? Is it because you know very little about him and haven't exactly heard what he did? or you doubt he was that good?

The guy was a freak. He was so much better than anyone else it wasn't funny. He once scored 1 hundred runs in 3 overs (mind you, they were 8 ball overs). He would pull balls for 4 off middle stump and would just pick the runs of left, right and center.

I'm asking because everyone is always on about him and I couldn't see why, obviously I find olden cricket boring and ugly so I don't bother watching the matches you can find on sites.

On the other hand 100 in 3 overs now I know...

The innings jordox is referring to when Bradman was playing for a club in the Blue Mountains against another club called Lithgow. He went from 54 to 154 in three eight ball overs and it took him 12 minutes. 33 off the first over, 40 off the second and 27 off the third.

In terms of test batsmen:

Bradman
Lara
Gavaskar
Border
Hutton
Richards
Hobbs
Sobers
Hammond
Tendulkar

I agree that it's very hard to compare across eras when you consider factors like uncovered pitches, restrictions on fields and bouncers, lack of helmets but those 10 for me stand out the most. I could probably do some refining on the exact order but I'm happy with the actual list.

In terms of test batsmen:

Bradman
Lara
Gavaskar
Border
Hutton
Richards
Hobbs
Sobers
Hammond
Tendulkar

I agree that it's very hard to compare across eras when you consider factors like uncovered pitches, restrictions on fields and bouncers, lack of helmets but those 10 for me stand out the most. I could probably do some refining on the exact order but I'm happy with the actual list.

Is Richards Barry or Viv? I'm hoping it's Barry, because he was simply incredible, the best of a golden generation of South Africans lost to test cricket because of aparthied.

Is Richards Barry or Viv? I'm hoping it's Barry, because he was simply incredible, the best of a golden generation of South Africans lost to test cricket because of aparthied.

Sorry, it's Viv. Just realised that there are only two Aussies in my list...

Users who are viewing this thread