Unofficial Buildup to the 2010/11 Ashes

TumTum

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I think they will keep Watson as opener unless something happens in India and North will keep his spot. Ponting has said that Hauritz is our #1 spinner so Smith will definitely not play. I am truly hopeful that Hughes can have a good county stint with Hampshire and gets called over to replace Watson in India.

http://www.cricinfo.com/the-ashes-2010-11/content/current/story/472628.html

What is with all this 5-0 talk :laugh

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I still like Hughes for #6...wait until Watson starts struggling before we move him down I say. No need to change a good thing at this stage and for a confidence player like Watto, moving him around might do more harm than good.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I still like Hughes for #6...wait until Watson starts struggling before we move him down I say. No need to change a good thing at this stage and for a confidence player like Watto, moving him around might do more harm than good.

Agree to disagree here my friend. I agree ATM their is no need to move Watto from opening to the middle-order (especially for the IND tour, since he is not better starter againts pace instead of spin). But long term i dont think if he is moved back to middle-order, it will affect his confidence one bit TBF.

I see him as extremely versatile batsmen who can bat anywhere in the top 6 for AUS, if needed. Just like Katich is.

With Hughes however, he doesn't look like a #6 though. If he aint opening, cant see him batting anywhere else.

Robelinda

International Coach
Agree with War, Watson has spent 10 years of FC cricket in the middle order, much easier for him to move back down IF needed rather than bat Hughes in a completely foreign position.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I agree that long term Watson could be in the middle and would do a good job, but my fear is that constantly shifting him around to cover North/Hughes/whoever wouldn't help his game - that's all. There is also Katich's age to consider and you have to ask who the next opener will be? Hughes yes, but who else? No one is really standing out to me: Usman, Klinger, White, Ferguson, Bailey are all middle order blokes, who's the next opening candidate? Watson/Hughes looks like the long term partnership to me, so if anyone is going to move down, why not Katich??

I'll admit to not having seen a heap of Hughes outside his Test cricket but he seemed more comfortable against spin moving his feet, rather than Watson/Katich who basically plonk the front pad down and he's arguably more attacking than both of them too - both traits that you want your #6 to have. The other good thing is that his weakness has been against short, quick bowling and #6 see a lot less of that generally. That's why I say he could have a shot at #6 ahead of disrupting your opening pair. I guess it just depends how keen the selectors are to get him into the side.

Robelinda

International Coach
Katich should move down, if its a choice between Watson and Katich, long term option should be Hughes/Watson, unless someone else comes into contention, like Shaun Marsh.

War

Chairman of Selectors
I agree that long term Watson could be in the middle and would do a good job, but my fear is that constantly shifting him around to cover North/Hughes/whoever wouldn't help his game - that's all. There is also Katich's age to consider and you have to ask who the next opener will be? Hughes yes, but who else? No one is really standing out to me: Usman, Klinger, White, Ferguson, Bailey are all middle order blokes, who's the next opening candidate? Watson/Hughes looks like the long term partnership to me, so if anyone is going to move down, why not Katich??

Rogers & Jaques (especially) definately have a future as test openers. Even if like Katich currently, they get a chance at an advanced age.

But yea as Robelina said, in the near future Katich should probably go down the order again. I like a Hughes/Watson opening partnership. It will be interesting to see after the Ashes, how much longer Katman does go on for though.

I'll admit to not having seen a heap of Hughes outside his Test cricket but he seemed more comfortable against spin moving his feet, rather than Watson/Katich who basically plonk the front pad down and he's arguably more attacking than both of them too - both traits that you want your #6 to have. The other good thing is that his weakness has been against short, quick bowling and #6 see a lot less of that generally. That's why I say he could have a shot at #6 ahead of disrupting your opening pair. I guess it just depends how keen the selectors are to get him into the side.

I've never really bought the idea that he has a problem againts the short ball to be honest. I just think in the 09 Ashes - he had a specific problem facing Flintoff's aggressive around the wicket angle. Since i remember him being tested by Morkel/Steyn with short stuff in that superb debut series of his & he played it pretty well (outside of his poor shot againts the short ball vs Steyn to get out in his debut innings).

Also i'd probably have to see more of Hughes againts good spin in tests to judge his ability on becoming a potential # 6 one -day.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Well when it's short outside off, Hughes is fine. In fact, he's awesome. So it was more a basic leg stump line weakness. His clips off the legs and hip were laboured and he was obviously trying to stay leg side of the ball as much as possible to help his off side strokes. If I'm bowling to Phil Hughes, I just bowl leg stump line all the time, not short all the time. Just occasionally...:p

I also rate Phil Jaques highly and I wonder how the selectors see him. If he has a big summer for NSW then he'd be right back as the #1 contender I'd say. He's only 31 I think, a couple of years younger than Rogers.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Usman, Klinger, White, Ferguson, Bailey are all middle order blokes

Khawaja is an opener that got pushed down, he was opening all the way through grade cricket and 2nd 11 (scored back to back double 100s as an opener). He only got moved in 1st because NSW have a crazy amount of openers.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Also i'd probably have to see more of Hughes againts good spin in tests to judge his ability on becoming a potential # 6 one -day.

Hughes is gun against spin. Owned Paul Harris in Durban but in Cape Town gifted his wickets by trying an aggressive sweep. Then when he got going in Sydney it was thanks to Kaneria, he used his feet superbly and his cover drives to them where glorious. He did the same against Vettori too.

If I'm bowling to Phil Hughes, I just bowl leg stump line all the time, not short all the time. Just occasionally...:p

Like Morkel tried (well not really tried, more like he lost his aim) and got put away for 5 consecutive 4s :yes

War

Chairman of Selectors
Hughes is gun against spin. Owned Paul Harris in Durban but in Cape Town gifted his wickets by trying an aggressive sweep. Then when he got going in Sydney it was thanks to Kaneria, he used his feet superbly and his cover drives to them where glorious. He did the same against Vettori too.

Somehow my memory of all these instances although i know i saw them is very cloudy & all happened just within the last 18 months. :laugh

Fatal Shot

Club Cricketer

Like Morkel tried (well not really tried, more like he lost his aim) and got put away for 5 consecutive 4s :yes

I'm sure when the English think of Hughes, this image pops into their mind.

2lsw32t.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread