WC 2007 Final

As rain has stopped the game for the moment, here is the SCORE UPDATE from Barbados:

Sri Lanka 149/3

Jayawardene 17(16)*
Silva 1(6)*
Current partnership: 4 runs
Last wicket: S. Jayasuriya 63(67)

Sri Lanka RR: 6,00
Required RR: 10,10

Sri Lanka requires 133 runs with 7 wickets and 13,1 overs remaining.

The covers are coming off (we think), though it's looking increasingly gloomy and dark out there. Ah, there's a groundsman with a very fine mop of dreadlocks (collective term for dreadlocks, anyone?) sweeping the muddy, rain-soaked pieces of loose pitch from the wicket...and mopping the puddles, too. So it does look reasonably promising and we'll keep you updated.

At the end of this over, Sri Lanka's required Duckworth Lewis total would have been 175. And they're some way short of that, meaning Australia would win. Sri Lanka must be desperate, absolutely desperate to get back on the pitch. There is something infinitely wrong in leaving Duckworth Lewis to decide a final.

Another discussion between the umpires, I'm afraid, and the crowd are booing. The skies are clearing up; the rain relenting but off they go. It's a fair decision, to be honest, in spite of the slight improvement in the weather. It does look better but the ground is slippery and wet - it's been raining pretty heavily, after all - but that looks like our lot for the day.

I understand your frustration charith, but it would be very difficult for Sri Lanka to get anywhere close to this target even without D/L. The ball is wet and damp and hard to get away. The pitch is offering no bounce. The outfield is slow. Not the conditions for a bunch of high-scoring overs. D/L means that they would have to sustain that for less time, so they have a higher chance.

Also, can't really blame the rain on D/L. It's a shame that rain had to intervene in the final. It also seems this was a bad time to schedule the WC in the Carribbean, unless it rains all year round.

Sri Lanka need only 10 runs an over for the following 13 overs.

Sounds like DL hasn't been used as we have lost no overs.
Edit: Now they are talking about it, I was wondering what was going on there.

Lol what on earth still no idea what the total or overs left is.

Also, can't really blame the rain on D/L. It's a shame that rain had to intervene in the final. It also seems this was a bad time to schedule the WC in the Carribbean, unless it rains all year round.

It doesn't normally rain this much at this time of year in the carribean. Global Warming anyone!

I would rather see a full 50 over final rather than a shortened game to be honest, yet I'd like it to finish on the day. what a dilemma.

aussie1st said:
Sounds like DL hasn't been used as we have lost no overs.
Edit: Now they are talking about it, I was wondering what was going on there.

Lol what on earth still no idea what the total or overs left is.
Looks like Bowden was probably taking a crap when he was supposed to be calculating it.

skateboarder said:
I would rather see a full 50 over final rather than a shortened game to be honest, yet I'd like it to finish on the day. what a dilemma.
You can't have everything. :p What if rained all night and day tomorrow?

And that could be the game there. Watson nabs Jayawardene plumb in front just when we see SL need 269 in 36 overs.

Sri Lanka are getting singles, but when will they try to hit boundaries?

Jayawardene is out. :rolleyes:

Long time since last boundary from Sri Lanka now...they really need these now at the end of the innings...they can never reach the target with only 1s and 2s and RR around 5...JAYAWARDENE OUT!!!

Users who are viewing this thread