West Indies in England 2009

We made South Africa follow on at Lords, so we could possibly force a win there against the West Indies. Unless they come to England with a squad full of batsmen plus Edwards, so that they can go home with a 0-0 series and retain the trophy. Wouldn't put it past 'em :p

West Indies' spring tour of England could be severely undermined after it emerged five senior Caribbean players were threatening to withdraw from the series and play in the lucrative IPL.

Talks between the West Indies Cricket Board and the West Indies Players' Association ended after two days without any progress in the ongoing dispute between them, and players including Chris Gayle, Shivnarine Chanderpaul and Ramnaresh Sarwan are understood to be considering standing down from national duties in protest.

http://content.cricinfo.com/westindies/content/current/story/396890.html

Hmm, seems we might not be having a series worth playing in the lead up to The Ashes after all. Surely there'd be no point playing a Windies side without Gayle, Chanderpaul and Sarwan. Glad I didn't order tickets for the Lords test now!

Can we not get bangladesh back? :p...Last time we played them before the Ashes we won it :p

They might beat us now though :p Can't we get Scotland or Ireland Test Status and play them in 2 Tests, just so long as Morgan can't play for Ireland. Would be a good competitive warm up!

Hmm, seems we might not be having a series worth playing in the lead up to The Ashes after all. Surely there'd be no point playing a Windies side without Gayle, Chanderpaul and Sarwan. Glad I didn't order tickets for the Lords test now!

Really sucks for us but if the tour does go on and these guys don't play than some youngsters might get their chances. They managed to solve the problem last year and I hope they can do it again.

Not sure these guys can really claim to be needing IPL cash after the Stanford Series. Country should come first in this case.

I'm not sure how much you read at the end of the Stanford series but a lot of the more senior plays such as Chanderpaul were persuaded by Stanford to put their parts of the winners money back into Stanfords Buisnesses and then a lot of the others still haven't been paid by Ol' Stanners. So actually they do still need the money as they still aren't being paid by WCIB

Not sure many international cricketers can really claim to be needing the cash Colin. As the report says "it's Groundhog day every year". While I can understand players wanting to earn big money, lets face it wave a big bunch of cash in front of most people and their morals go to pot, but what I don't understand is why wait until now before bringing this up? Big "Up Yours" to cricket spectators from the players, but then should we expect anything else? Shame on Gayle especially as the Captain I expected a lot more from him. Sod them, let them play in the IPL like any player who wants to, but don't select them for international duties ever again if they chose IPL over country, we'll see how long they remain big draws in the IPL that way.

I'm not sure how much you read at the end of the Stanford series but a lot of the more senior plays such as Chanderpaul were persuaded by Stanford to put their parts of the winners money back into Stanfords Buisnesses and then a lot of the others still haven't been paid by Ol' Stanners. So actually they do still need the money as they still aren't being paid by WCIB

Some reinvested but all got their money.

Earlier today Cricinfo reported that up to five players could refuse to tour England, but Gayle denied that was the case. "The tour of England would definitely go ahead," he said. "I will be there, and once all the other players are fit and selected, they also will be there. . .right now, things are looking good."

Chris says that the tour will go on. I'm sure the players will do the same thing that happened during the 1st season of the IPL and just fly in straight before the tests, like Bravo.

Powell has been dropped from the team for the tour of England. :happy:happy:happy Took long enough.

Nelon Pascal and Andrew Richardson get a call up too and I agree with both of these guys being selected. They have performed this year in domestic cricket and Richardson has been doing it for a while now.

I would have liked to see Kevin McClean in the team but he is still young and the future looks bright for him.

Here is the team.

West Indies squad Chris Gayle (capt), Denesh Ramdin (wk), Lionel Baker, Sulieman Benn, David Bernard, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Narsingh Deonarine, Fidel Edwards, Brendan Nash, Nelon Pascal, Dale Richards, Andrew Richardson, Darren Sammy, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Lendl Simmons, Devon Smith, Jerome Taylor.

I've heard about Richardson for a while, but I'm still wary as he only seems to have success when bowling for Jamaica; when playing against para-domestic teams he seems mediocre at best, as well as being utterly Saj Mahmood at one dayers.

Pascal was the one to be replaced by McClean in the West Indies A squad and although McClean's season figures were a lot better, Pascal is the slightly more experienced player and remains ahead in the pecking order. A genuine, raw quick with an increasing strike rate, he also seems to go missing in some games and will need to resist injury.

Deonarine is rewarded for being the leading run scorer, breaking the 1000 at an average of nearly 60; perhaps the highly rated Guyanan youngster has come of age. However, for a team that desperately needs an opener whose skill compliments the might of Gayle, I can see little reason why Adrian Barath is overlooked yet again. The soon to be 19 year old averages 49 after 20 matches. Even if he is only seen as a backup player, he needs to start going places because he is definitely going to be a part of the next two decades of West Indian cricket.

I've heard about Richardson for a while, but I'm still wary as he only seems to have success when bowling for Jamaica; when playing against para-domestic teams he seems mediocre at best, as well as being utterly Saj Mahmood at one dayers.

I don't expect him to set the world alight (I hope he proves me wrong) but I will take anything instead of Powell. I dont expect him to contend for a ODI spor at all but for that 3rd pace bowlers spot its wide open between Rishardson, Baker and Pascal.

Pascal was the one to be replaced by McClean in the West Indies A squad and although McClean's season figures were a lot better, Pascal is the slightly more experienced player and remains ahead in the pecking order. A genuine, raw quick with an increasing strike rate, he also seems to go missing in some games and will need to resist injury.

Got it on spot right there. I would have been mad if neither got picked because both deserved a spot, I don't mind at all that McClean is not being rushed into the team.

Deonarine is rewarded for being the leading run scorer, breaking the 1000 at an average of nearly 60; perhaps the highly rated Guyanan youngster has come of age. However, for a team that desperately needs an opener whose skill compliments the might of Gayle, I can see little reason why Adrian Barath is overlooked yet again. The soon to be 19 year old averages 49 after 20 matches. Even if he is only seen as a backup player, he needs to start going places because he is definitely going to be a part of the next two decades of West Indian cricket.

Well there are 3 openers in the team, Simmons, Richards and Smith. One should have been left out (smith) to make a spot for Barath just for experience like you said. But with Simmons we at least have a youngster who has a chance to improve and some actual talent unlike Smith who is a waste of a spot. I'm not sure about Richards, I would have really liked to see him play against England to at least see if he has what it takes to play international cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread