West Indies in England 2009

england is improving now a days might be the toughest team in the 2011 World cup

good performance in the field by the WI but the batting has disapointed so far. Somebody needs to step up and make some good runs, hope it Simmons.
Would have liked if Pascal was in there.

good performance in the field by the WI but the batting has disapointed so far. Somebody needs to step up and make some good runs, hope it Simmons.
Would have liked if Pascal was in there.

I have been following the current game between Leicestershire and West Indies, and so far it seems that the likes of Simmons and Richardson would have picked themselves if the test was to commence this weekend, I hope they can carry on, at least Powell's replacement seems certain!!

I have been following the current game between Leicestershire and West Indies, and so far it seems that the likes of Simmons and Richardson would have picked themselves if the test was to commence this weekend, I hope they can carry on, at least Powell's replacement seems certain!!

Well Simmons is in for sure after that century he made. On cricinfo it says he retired hurt bit I hope that he just retired to give the other guys a chance. He got some good support from Nash.

Now its up to the bowlers to claim a spot.

Well Simmons is in for sure after that century he made. On cricinfo it says he retired hurt bit I hope that he just retired to give the other guys a chance. He got some good support from Nash.
Now its up to the bowlers to claim a spot.

Yeah I guess he just did, I also saw Nash did the same, so I would imagine it's to give some of the guys a chance in the middle.

I guess they will play him down the order again because Bravo is not going to play the 2 tests. So its probably Smith or Richards who will open with Gayle.

Wow, the England selectors have really come out of left field with their selections for the 1st West Indies Test. Here's the squad:

England squad: Andrew Strauss (capt), James Anderson, Ravi Bopara, Tim Bresnan, Stuart Broad, Paul Collingwood, Alastair Cook, Graham Onions, Monty Panesar, Kevin Pietersen, Matt Prior, Graeme Swann.

So I guess that means we'll be going with:

Strauss *
Cook
Bopara
Pietersen
Collingwood
Prior +
Broad
Swann
Bresnan/Onions
Anderson
Panesar/Onions/Bresnan

Very interesting. 5 bowlers still, and Shah dropped with Bopara coming in at 3. No Bell or Vaughan, and no Harmison. The possibility of playing 2 spinners also, possibly set up for Australia, who haven't played spin particularly well in the last year or so. What do you think?

Wow, I am actually quite impressed with the selectors, they are trying something different here and not recycling people like Harmison. Will be interesting to see how this works

Yeh, I was expecting to see the typical names, Sidebottom, Ambrose, Harmison, Bell and Vaughan, but they've surprised everyone with Bresnan, Onions and then picking RV ahead of Shah. I think it's a pretty solid team tbh, Bresnan is a very good bowler who's improved immensely and is also more than handy with the bat, and Onions has been impressing for a while, and got a few wickets in his first couple of games iirc. Happy with the team, and can see either the 3rd proper seamer or Panesar being replaced by Flintoff when he's fit.

Why don't we play four pure bowlers and use the likes of Bopara, Collingwood and Pietersen as our fifth bowler? Still, happy with the selectors being brave enough to choose Onions, who I personally like.

Because the games being played at Lords, and 4 bowlers are not enough, even against the West Indies. We need 5 bowlers to get a result at Lords.

I see Bresnan averages 27 in FC cricket, whilst Flintoff averages 31 In tests, but has been in pretty poor form with the bat so would put them at roughly the same. If we play Bresnan at 7, with Broad at 8 and Swann at 9, I think that is more then enough batting for the time. Anderson also can hang around as well.

I would like to see this XI for the first test.

Strauss (C)
Cook
Bopara
KP
Collingwood
Prior (wk)
Bresnan
Broad
Swann
Anderson
Monty/Onions

Not too sure who to pick between Monty and Onions. For the Ashes, I would be more inclined for Monty as it appears the Aussies have forgotten how to play spin, but for the Windies, I would be more inclined to play Onions, just to see how he copes at International cricket.

I'd bat Broad ahead of Bresnan personally. He's the established player, Test average of 29 with 3 half centuries and a top score of 76. I'd have Broady at 7 and Bresnan at 8.

I'd go for Onions also, had a good start to the season and seems a good prospect. I'd give him a go, we know what Monty can do.

Although I personally doubt Bresnan & Onions are of any real quality, I applaud the selectors for the bold selection and tbh, there's precious little else. Though Tremlett has really dropped off the radar after impressing against India a couple of seasons ago.

Tremlett barely played last season due to injury. Bresnan has had 1 good season, and Onions has performed very well since his England A tour to India in 07/08. I'm happy with the selections tbh, better than Harmison and Sidebottom anyway!

Users who are viewing this thread