West Indies in England

Originally posted by jonah
Well, I've gotta hold my hands up and say well bowled Ashley Giles, a well deserved 5 for. Just hope this gives him the confidence to bowl like this on a regular basis.
Well done to England on another good win; unlucky to WI, it was a very entertaining Test Match.

Yes I still maintain that unless someone better comes along, Giles deserves his place in the team. By his own admission he is not the best spinner of the ball in the world, but who is there in England who is a better spinner and could get 20-40 runs per innings batting at 8 ?

1st Test Result

England 1st Inning 568 (Strauss 137, Key 221, Vaughan 103) (Collins 4/113, Bravo 3/74)
West Indies 1st Inning 416 (Gayle 66, Chanderpaul 128*) (Giles 4/129, Flintoff 3/25)
England 2nd Inning 325/5 Declare (Vaughan 101*) (collins 3/62)
West Indies 2nd Inning 267 (Gayle 81, Chanderpaul 97*) (Giles 5/81)

Result:England won by 210 runs

Man of the Match: AF Giles

Series: England leads the 4-Test series 1-0

Ashley Giles: took his first five-for in England as West Indies lost by 210 runs at Lord's

expect a 4-0 win for the english. and congrats to all the english supporters on this forum, mp vaughn, sharmison, jonah etc. great going guys, you all play like a true number 2 test team. how i would love to see an ashes series soon. england have always had my respect, good goin guys.:p

Originally posted by zimrahil
Yes I still maintain that unless someone better comes along, Giles deserves his place in the team. By his own admission he is not the best spinner of the ball in the world, but who is there in England who is a better spinner and could get 20-40 runs per innings batting at 8 ?

Fair point Phil. I heard Benaud on C4 saying that not only has he now got over 100 Test wickets he's only 160 odd runs from 1000 Test runs too, so I suppose when you look at it like that...Maybe we (or I) expect too much from him. If he can consistently pick up 3,4 or 5 wickets per Test (over the two innings) then yeah, he deserves his place. I just wish he'd give the ball more of a 'rip' when bowling.

Cheers rocklara; magnanimous in defeat as ever. Although it ended a fairly convincing win for England, the Windies helped make it a great match. Chanderpaul especially showed guts, determination and skill in both his innings. Imo he deserved a second innings century, even though he was out when he gloved to Key;) . Looking forward to Edgebaston now...

Last edited:
Like I sad before, Tino Best only made a fool of himself in this test match.

Anyways, it would be great if Giles picks up 3,4 or 5 wickets per test, but you need to realise that Giles is effectively England's Plan B. Plan A is England's fast and medium pacers,i.e, Harmison, Hoggard, Flintoff and Jones. Only if these four fail to perform (which hasnt happened before this test match), does Giles come into the picture.
But I must also congratulate Giles for being aggressive in this test match. Like Botham said during the game, he was aiming for the rough patches rather than the leg stump defensive line.
Lets hope Giles continues to perform like this so that he can support our 4 pace bowlers, and really solve England's spin problems.

Great going Ashley!

Note: My comments have nothing to do with the fact that I am a Bears fan. Cheers!

Did anyone see when giles got tino best stumped after he told him to watch the windows, so tino came down to thge ball missed it and whne he was given out flintoff was laughing at him

Originally posted by m_vaughan
And duffarama you were right. Giles has got England out of trouble on several occassions, this one being the latest one.
At last I am right... sorry but I am quoting an old post. :)
I must have missed it.

2nd Test probable

England (probable) 1 Marcus Trescothick, 2 Andrew Strauss, 3 Robert Key, 4 Michael Vaughan (capt), 5 Graham Thorpe, 6 Andrew Flintoff, 7 Geraint Jones (wk), 8 Ashley Giles, 9 Matthew Hoggard, 10 Steve Harmison, 11 James Anderson.

West Indies (probable) 1 Chris Gayle, 2 Devon Smith, 3 Ramnaresh Sarwan, 4 Brian Lara (capt), 5 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 6 Dwayne Bravo, 7 Ridley Jacobs (wk), 8 Omari Banks, 9 Tino Best, 10 Pedro Collins, 11 Corey Collymore.

2nd Test Stumps Day 1

England won the toss and elected to bat first

England 1st Inning 313/5 (Trescothick 105) (Bravo 2/42)

Looks like its been flintoffs day today, I think he can only get better.

I'm absolutely gutted to have missed the Flintoff fireworks and Jones' innings which was a peach by all accounts. And Harmison's 31 off about 18 balls!
The Windies making a decent reply though after a shaky start.

2nd Test Stumps Day 2

England 1st Inning 566/9 dec (Trescothick 105, Flintoff 167) (Bravo 4/76)
West Indies 1st Inning 184/2 (lara 74*Sarwan 87*) (Hoggard 2/48)

West Indies trail by 382 runs with 8 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

Users who are viewing this thread