West Indies in Zimbabwe/South Africa

So maybe I was a wrong about Prince....

That would have been the selcting panel that decided it but it baffels me too as to why he is playing with an average of over 300.
Well, few players return to their test side on the strength of what they did when they were last there; after all that's probably why they're not in the side. I assume the selectors feel leg spin is useful against South Africa and in spite of his lack of wickets, South Africa have not attacked him, so he is at least useful for keeping an end dry.

Nevertheless, Sammy was harshly dropped. For a struggling team, I can accept that they want to try new options, but when the previously selected team was a winner; and Sammy contributed to that with runs; I only wonder why they felt they had to change the team.

Marlon Samuels looked alot more likely to take a wicket aswell though.

Good lead by South Africa, but the West Indies could be interesting if they stick down. Quite a test to win from here, though.

On form it seems like Taylor and Bravo should be getting the new ball next time.

I think Raul Lewis can at least say in defence of his record that the Windies captains haven't been great employers of spin. It seemed like only a last resort to see if the spinners could get the last wicket, rather than confidently thinking that the tail would struggle against spin from the outset.

Last edited:
Already 2 quick wickets for SA and they still lead. Key wickets are to come with the in form Samuels, Chanderpaul and Gayle if able to bat.

West Indies: 72/2 (31.3 ov)
West Indies RR: 2.26

I'm all for traditional Test cricket, but this is so boring!

1st sesion tomrow could be interesting. West indies have the 2 guys that they want at the crease, with Shiv being reliable like always and if Gayle can stick around they could make somthing out of this test.

This has been a real test of patience and skill, I know many of you are saying boring game but this is no Indian/Australian let's make runs pitch even for a guy such as Kallis to struggle hitting boundaries is a big big BIG! issue. Hats off to Prince who played masterfully well for his marvelous yet disappointing 98. I remember the last time they played a test match on Newlands they played against Pakistan South Africa won the game by five wickets chasing something down like 161.

But one thing I am sure they need to go ask the fourth umpire is the rules on cutting grass in the first two days the outfield was pretty slow no balls went to the boundary rope but today the grass was cut shorter is that allowed? shouldn't it be cut the same length as it was cut the first time, the pitch is deteriorating rather rapidly but the outfield may be a bonus if South Africa are to chase down a low score such as 180 or 160

What up with the West Indies.
first pair Was scoring runs slow.
Even Gayle and Chaderpaul are scoring runs slow.
What is the Game Plan.

Are they looking to draw the match, which have 2 days to go?
Are they trying to Lost the match because, When West Indies wickets fall, they fall very fast.

Come on W.I this could be a Winning match for u Score 300+ and have at least 300 Lead at the end of the 4th day and try to bowl out S.A for that runs on the 5th day.

I think they are trying to build an innings, I tell you the run rate is better than when the opener were batting. The bowling figures were ridiculous.
It was like
Ntini - 5 over 5 maidens
Nel - 3 Overs 3 Maidens
Kallis - 3 Overs 3 Maidens
Steyn - 3 for 17.
That was the part where they had to negotiate before tea.

Thats not it exactly but its fairly close.

This has been a real test of patience and skill, I know many of you are saying boring game but this is no Indian/Australian let's make runs pitch even for a guy such as Kallis to struggle hitting boundaries is a big big BIG! issue. Hats off to Prince who played masterfully well for his marvelous yet disappointing 98. I remember the last time they played a test match on Newlands they played against Pakistan South Africa won the game by five wickets chasing something down like 161.

But one thing I am sure they need to go ask the fourth umpire is the rules on cutting grass in the first two days the outfield was pretty slow no balls went to the boundary rope but today the grass was cut shorter is that allowed? shouldn't it be cut the same length as it was cut the first time, the pitch is deteriorating rather rapidly but the outfield may be a bonus if South Africa are to chase down a low score such as 180 or 160

I appriciate all that but after sitting through it for the first half an hour, I felt like I wanted to kill myself.

It's slow batting, but not high scoring, although if Gayle was fit, maybe another quick 50 (or if the gods favour him, 100) would have turned the game on its head. I think we'll all be hopeful that Gayle is feeling good enough for day 4.

Ramdin took a long time to wind up, at one point he was 2 from 39, but he went on to add 30 runs in the next 40 balls and the opening partnership got to 59 thanks to him.

Unfortunately, it seems like Morton is vulnerable to any ball, old or new or maybe even a beachball and Samuels was probably due for a low innings. Morton should probably be thinking about his spot in the side, if they ever get Sarwan back it seems he'll be out straight away, but in the meantime Devon Smith might be an inclusion for the next game and I certainly see no reason to omit Sammy, even if they want a spinner.

In reference to the outfield, it seems the only lawful way that the outfield could have been mown and produced significant improvement is if it was not properly mown initially, as the article on Cricinfo says. It's an interesting potential loophole perhaps, because maybe the wily captain of a very fit team could bank on their ability to run more twos and threes than the visitors.

Mind you, it's quite likely that the long grass has been bad for Dale Steyn and Fidel Edwards and in that sense, there is no advantage.

We might accept that this is not going to be a game of glorious batting, but as the game wears on I expect the fast bowling to be more interesting. You might have seen earlier, Jerome Taylor was quite fiery and his bouncers were all over the batsmen. I'm sure if Edwards were fit, he'd be happy to work them over as well. I've found it to be not quite as prevalent on the other side, line and length being prevalent and when Steyn tries to rev up, it doesn't seem like something he was born to do, especially not compared with his swing bowling.

Morton purple patch is well and truely over, was a period last year where he was scoring runs in both forms of the game. WI run rate isn't too surprising, Ganga has never been a fast scorer and Ramdin followed suit only scoring slightly faster.

you cant expect them to score at a high run-rate when they are trying to save the match and stay up 1-0 in the series (im talking about Gayle and Chanders).
As for Devon Smith playing in the test team i hope that it doesnt come to that. I think that Brenton Parchment should play ahead of Smith, Smith has failed in every match that he has played in Zim/South Africa.

Depending on how fit Taylor and Edwards are for the next match and if they are not able to play i expect Sammy and Pedro Collins tobe included in the squad. Sammy would take Taylors spot and Pedro that of his half brother, and than maybe they could play Parchement or Smith instead of Lewis, it would give them more dept in the batting order with the extra batsman and Sammy but it would also give them the 5 pace bowlers.

Users who are viewing this thread