West Indies in Zimbabwe/South Africa

I thaught he was injured. Well then it proves WI selectors are also fools otherwise who would leave Sarwan out of side and have players like Morton and Ganag in side. They could also have seleted W.Hinds as he is more handy cricketer than Ganag on any day.

Sarwan's the captain, so there's no chance that they dropped him.

Dunno. But what is going on with Steyn ?!! Is he on form or what !

Steyn is a massive talent. His outswing and 145kph pace make him a potent threat, especially since he can comfortably keep up the swing from a middle stump line, which forces the batsmen to play at outswingers.

With a Test strike rate of 37.0 and nearing 100 Test wickets, it is an issue of it being too good to be true.

I'm not sure if any of you heard the commentators say that at this stage of his career - 18 matches - Steyn has got more wickets than any of the other South African fast bowling greats Fanie de Villiers 82, Hugh Tayfield 80 and Allan Donald was on 70 odd. Going by that you have to admit he is shaping to be a real gem of a player.

Steyn will definately fill the void left by Donald but who is going to fill the void left by Polly. He was awesome with bowling, batting, fielding and catching.

Aren't fielding and catching the same thing? :p

SA could have had a certain Ryan McLaren come in - Kent fans should know him - but he's now turned kolpak I think so thats a really big loss. Johann van der Wath could have come in, but he played in the ICL and is now banned so theres another loss. I have no doubts though that someone will eventually come through though and prove himself a worthy, if not better player.

I think Morne Morkel will just replace Pollock, he's a fantastic talent. If they wanted a more all round player like Pollock, then obviously his brother, anyone but Philander, he has been shocking every time I've seen him.

what about Zondeki, i kno he is not a all-rounder but he looks to be a good pace bowler.

Philander is just an exploitation of the quota system, he does decently at domestic level but just can't cut it on the big stage. I don't like him :p

Morne Morkel wouldn't be the perfect replacement for Pollock if youre looking for someone who can do more than just hold a bat the right way round. He's a decent batsmen but not as capable as Pollock, he can improve but I don't quite think he'll be as good with the bat.

Albie on the other hand is better suited with the bat but I think he'll only have the potential as a Pollock replacement in the ODI arena, not so much as a test player.

Yes, but that's what the batsmen are there for, getting runs. Morne is a great bowler and will get a lot of wickets, I personally think he should be the replacement.

Philander did get 7 wickets in the first class match taking place at the moment...

Philander did get 7 wickets in the first class match taking place at the moment...

From what I have seen of Philander in international matches he is no way near to standrds of international cricket. Albie is a good prospect for ODIs but will be found wanting in test arena just like ZULU did.

Aren't fielding and catching the same thing? :p

Well catching is part of fielding but some players are good fielders but not safe with hands when come to catching and some players are very good with slip catches but Polly was safe all over.

Last edited:
I don't think Morne Morkel is all that bad with a bat. Give him 10 years and he may well have a record like Pollock.

But yeah, in saying that I'm recognising that Pollock didn't play to his potential as a batsman.

Last edited:
I don't think Morne Morkel is all that bad with a bat. Give him 10 years and he may well have a record like Pollock.

But yeah, in saying that I'm recognising that Pollock didn't play to his potential as a batsman.

Yep, hes got a first class 50 already. I was just mentioning if you were to ask for an almost exact copy of Pollock, at the moment his batting isn't as good. But it doesn't matter his prospect as a bowler is good enough to satisfy me. I think he is playing his first game since his injury currently or in the next set of fixtures, so he should be ready ofr the next series.

Just wait until you take your Philander-tinted glasses off, you'll see he won't be able to cut it at international level. I'd much rather see Thandi Tshabalala get called up ahead of Philander to play a test series, Thandi actually has potential.

dont know why Sarwan hasnt been called up for the ODIs, he has been in great form in domestic competition, in 4 inings he has a averade of 101.

Maybe they do not want the team to lose focus-with two captains ?
Sarwan would come in for the next series,i suppose.

i think that they will give the captaincy to Gayle after this series, or atleast if West Indies win the ODI series.

Users who are viewing this thread