West Indies tour of New Zealand

Finally Jamie How has been dropped, and it's good to see Martin Guptill finally get his chance in International cricket. He is easily one of the best domestic batsmen NZ has. Can't see why he wouldn't open, push Ryder down to five. Guptill scores quick enough anyway. Droping Ryder down to five would give us some fire power down the order.

Team for Saturday

1.Martin Guptill
2.Brendon McCullum
3.Ross Taylor
4.Daniel Flynn
5.Jesse Ryder
6.Neil Broom
7.Grant Elliot
8.Daniel Vettori
9.Kyle Mills
10.Tim Southee
11.Jeetan Patel

Great to see the selectors realise the good form Guptill has been lately and rewarding him for that. I presume they'll put him in at no.3, they could put either Ryder or McCullum down the order, but I say we shouldn't mess with what's working at the moment. Anyways it i'll be interesting to see how him and Broom go on Saturday. The pressure has shifted to Flynn now, he has to get a 50 before the India arrives or he'll be out of the ODI team.

Last edited:
Symonds and Yuvraj would probably beg to differ.
Fair point. I just think he has great potential against the new ball unlike the other two though. He rarely seemed very troubled by it. He gets a good start basically every time, just needs to kick on.

Fair point. I just think he has great potential against the new ball unlike the other two though. He rarely seemed very troubled by it. He gets a good start basically every time, just needs to kick on.

I don't really mind who drops down the order, I just hope we play Guptill as a opening batsmen. And I just really want to see Ross Taylor back at three, to be honest. And if we are going to continue with Daniel Flynn he has to bat in the top four. Batting McCullum at five wouldn't be a bad thing, as the batting team can take a power play when they want now.

The NZ team I would like to see against India would be:

1.Guptill
2.McCullum
3.Taylor
4.Ryder
5.Oram
6.Elliot
7.Vettori
8.Mills
9.Southee
10.Patel
11.Martin

If this didn't work I would try putting Broom or Flynn at four and move everyone down one with Martin missing out.

Chris Martin should in in the squad over Gillespie at the moment. I'm not sure what he has to do to get recalled, obviously 4-33 wasn't enough. Gillespie has had his chances and has horrible average and economy.

NZ will miss Oram in last two crucial games...Jamie How's form has been ordinary in his last three ODI series..

Cricinfo - Jesse Ryder misses fourth ODI

Jesse Ryder out of the 4th ODI team, the idoit went out and got drunk after the Wellington game. Missed the team meeting and training.

Matthew Sinclair has been called into the squad, and will bat at three.

This isn't good news, NZ cricket shouldn't pick Ryder for the rest of the series or the Indian series either. They said this was his last chance.

I hate Sinclair but he has been the best batsmen in domestic cricket this season.

I agree, if you are good, you get runs any and everywhere you bat, look at Shiv, the only claim I can make is that you at 6 might run out of batting partners, it is worst for us WI, because we have no tail to wag!!!!
Yeah, it's harder to structure a weak batting order than a strong one like India or Australia. A strong top order is also the most important step, but looking at NZ, you have to feel that Elliott and Flynn don't look like the go-to men for a big attacking finish.

Matthew Sinclair has been called into the squad, and will bat at three.

I guess Martin Crowe is coming out of retirement then :D

Well then the team must be:

1: Guptill
2: McCullum
3: Sinclair
4: Taylor
5: Flynn
6: Broom
7: Elliot
8: Vettori
9: Mills
10: Southee
11: Patel/Gillespie

Has a very different look to it from a few days ago this should be very very interesting.

New Zealand all-rounder Jesse Ryder has been fined and dropped after missing a training session and team meeting following a late night of drinking.

Ryder had been out in Wellington after his side's victory over the West Indies in the third one-day international.

"I'm totally committed to overcoming this problem and understand I will have to work even harder," he said.

Source

Jesse Ryder really is a prat isn't he.

Edit: Woops, just realised someone else has posted it. My point remains though, Ryder's just going to throw away his career if he keeps acting like a prat.

Users who are viewing this thread