West Indies tour of New Zealand

Far out, second highest score on debut in ODIs, highest not out score on debut in ODIs, well done son. Can you see Oram/Ryder coming back? IMO, Oram should come back for his bowling, but Ryder's more of a batsman.

Heh, Guptill did what Ryder hasn't done in his 21 international matches, scored a century. Granted, four of those Ryder matches were T20Is, but still...

Well done Guptill! Told you he should open if he's selected. What an innings. He did get dropped twice mind you but made them pay, and that's important, plus we've seen he's fully capable!

Paced his innings BRILLIANTLY! The next Nathan Astle, he was always great at pacing innings and was our best ODI batter. Keep him opening and shove Ryder at 3. He put the team first, playing a big shot to get his hundred. He could have prodded around some singles but instead put the team first and hit the ball when it was there to be hit and backed himself.

Broom did his job beautifully, promising signs from him.

Now we have to win. Simply, we have to. It's a hard ground to defend and Gillespie's a hot/cold player so he could get pounded. If we get Gayle early I love our chances.

Sinclair can make way for Ryder and Flynn for Oram. Flynn's looked horrible in ODIs. Leave him for test matches and as a decent back-up option for the middle order. Elliot could possibly be spared, but he's been playing better then Flynn and bowls a bit.

Plus we took the powerplay at a perfect time. When they first announced the rule I said the 40 over mark would be good because then you a) still have 5 overs after you'll bash it anyway and b) manipulate which bowlers bowl the last/powerplay overs. Gayle got caught with his pants down having to bowl 4 of the last 5 overs with spinners who got pummeled. It forced Gayle to use Powell and Edwards earlier then he normally would have.

Last edited:
Ryder will come back in for Sinclair.

Excellent score, need Gayle to go off from the very start.

Well done Guptill, amazing innings on debut. :clap:clap:clap

I agree bring Ryder back in for Sinclair and Oram for Flynn.

WI steady in 1st 5 overs : 15/0,they need to up the run rate now...Required RR 5.75

Rain has interrupted the play,good thing of WI is that they havent lost any wicket,if at all game resumes they have all the wickets in their hand for revised target,but lets hope that we get max overs for this final match..

Gayle does look good. He can hit sixes from the most ugly shots imaginable. Really strong guy. I hope the whole thing's rained out to be honest. WI have too much of an advantage if it continues. Batting second is huge in D/L.

Be nice if Vettori could win important tosses. Being the rain interrupted ones.

Last edited:
It's Eden Park, every time a batsman puts the ball in the air he has a chance of getting two or four more runs than he should.

Irrotev LOL

When I said Guptill should be in the team you said he wasn't good enough, then when he was selected and Isaid he should open you said why change Ryder and McCullum has it's been working well. Told you Marty would do well, lets hope he makes the test team now.

Top 6 verse India

1.Guptill
2.McCullum
3.Ryder
4.Taylor
5.Broom
6.Oram

That looks like a freakin good team, don't you think so.

And yes his stats count.

Howsie added 4 Minutes and 54 Seconds later...

How hasbeen dropped from the ODI side and replaced by Guptill.

I'm very dissapointed. I'm not a fan of Gultill at all. Watling and Ingram both have had better starts to the state shield. Fulton gets ignored again for some reason. How fielded well and deserved the final 2 games. Dropping him based on a wash-out, a 28 over game and an absolute hiding is ridiculous.

Man the NZ selectors suck.

And Watling and Ingram have not had better starts, neither of them have scored a century yet.

You're manipulating my words. I NEVER said he wasn't good enough. That's a blatant lie, quote me on it. I'd never seen him play a one day game before so I didn't (or didn't mean to) criticize the selection. They don't televise games so i'd have no idea who/how good most of these guys are. I can only go by scoresheets.

Secondly I was fully happy for him to open, I just didn't want them to mess with Ryder and McCullum. Since Ryder was stood down I was very happy for him to take his place opening. Was a perfect situation really. He got to bat at his familiar position.

I was scared they'd use him at 3 and if he failed at number 3 they'd get rid of him. The same thing has happened to other batsmen. They get selected for positions they don't usually bat at and are expected to instantly perform. It's just a different role. opening and 3 isn't too much different but I think when making your debut you'd feel MUCH more comfortable as an opener opening the batting since you're used to it. Sitting and waiting for the wicket to fall will only build up the nerves.

Watling and Ingram had more runs, less averages due to not outs etc, more fifties. But yeah no big hundred. I was only going by stats. That comment I will accept was unfair. I don't know what I was thinking when I posted that. Bad mood probably.

After looking over his stats I noticed he had a great record in ListA games. When I posted that message I was thinking of him in first class cricket which only averages in the twenties. I knew Gultill did rather good on A tours etc so I did support him being selected. We needed a new top order player because How was batting horribly.

Still, he's only played 1 game and was dropped 3 times plus played some airy shots early. I'd like to see more from him, but he played really well. I think he has a good head on his shoulders too which is probably the most important thing now that we know he has enough skill to succeed. The second half of his innings was faultless.

Last edited:
What a sad end to an exciting match, where we saw debutant Guptill getting to his century and registered the highest individual score for New Zealand on debut and powering them to 275. West Indies started off in an aggressive manner with Gayle striking the ball well, before rain stopped play. The target was revised to 235 in 40 overs and again the rain played havoc, eventually washing out the game. The last match has now become a decider.

Isn't Oram out with yet another hamstring injury or are they just trying Broom out? Let's hope Guptil's innings wasn't a one off :D Also we can't forget Neil Broom played decently, didn't come out until the end but he scored a quick 24 not out.

Users who are viewing this thread