Which is the strongest XI?

Which is the strongest XI?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nightprowler10

Executive member
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Its between 1 and 4 for me. Really hard to decide as we don't know what sort of pitch they'll be playing on. Would have helped me make a decision if you guys had chosen a 12th man. I'll abstain for now and vote after I've seen some arguments for each team.

manee

Chairman of Selectors
FTR, my 12th man would have been Saqlain Mushtaq. It was a toss up between him and Harhbajan for the spinners role but Bhajji got it based on playing more Tests and showing greater versatility in playing the defensive role.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Team 1 will win anywhere and in all formats of game.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Team 4
1. Justin Langer
2. Herschelle Gibbs
3. Younis Khan
4. Sachin Tendulkar
5. Shiv Chanderpaul
6. Kumar Sangakkara (wk)
7. Chris Cairns
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Waqar Younis
10. Stuart MacGill
11. Shoaib Akhtar

I picked this team because of the bowling attack. Yes I know MacGill wasn't Shane Warne but he wasn't half bad. But a bowling attack with Akhtar, Younis, Pollock and Cairns is very good. Plus all the batsmen are playing in there normal positions.

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
Code:
[B]Team 1[/B]
Openers		05/10
Middle-Order	05/10
Wicketkeeper	04/10
Bowlers		10/10

Total Score:	26/40

[B]Team 2[/B]
Openers		08/10
Middle-Order	08/10
Wicketkeeper	07/10
Bowlers		08/10

Total Score:	31/40

[B]Team 3[/B]
Openers		06/10
Middle-Order	07/10
Wicketkeeper	05/10
Bowlers		08/10

Total Score:	26/40

[B]Team 4[/B]
Openers		06/10
Middle-Order	08/10
Wicketkeeper	07/10
Bowlers		09/10

Total Score:	30/40

[B]Team 5[/B]
Openers		07/10
Middle-Order	07/10
Wicketkeeper	08/10
Bowlers		08/10

Total Score:	30/40
That's how I'd rate it.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
My openers are stronger than a 6/10, Gibbs averages 48 at number 2 and Langer's got a very good record when opening the batting and is much missed by Australia. I think they're worth at least a 7. You picked Sangakkara as your All-time XI Keeper, so he must be worth more than a 7 if he's one of the best of all-time ;)

Also, why haven't the summaries been posted? Pretty pointless doing them if they're not going to be used!

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
My openers are stronger than a 6/10, Gibbs averages 48 at number 2 and Langer's got a very good record when opening the batting and is much missed by Australia. I think they're worth at least a 7. You picked Sangakkara as your All-time XI Keeper, so he must be worth more than a 7 if he's one of the best of all-time ;)

Also, why haven't the summaries been posted? Pretty pointless doing them if they're not going to be used!
Your top 3 batsman are pretty much the weak link in your side, that's why they only got a 6 because neither of your openers are great. Averages don't mean anything, Team 1 had 2 openers averaging over 50 but they still only recieved a 5. Had you had Hayden, Smith, Kirsten, Anwar or Taylor as one of your openers then you would've gotten a 7 or maybe even at 8.

I never put Sangakkara as my alltime XI keeper, I always put Gilchrist. I do however, believe that Gilchrist is overrated and that Sangakkara is the better batsman.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
You picked him in the Test Cricket Draft is what I meant.

Not sure how you can say averages don't mean anything. It's not like I picked 2 guys that have only played 20 games opening the batting, Langer and Gibbs are 2 guys that have opened the batting in Test cricket alot, and both have brilliant records. Not sure how a guy like Younis Khan, that averages well over 50 in Test cricket can be considered a weak link either. Or is this another example of your "Subcontinental fraud" hypothesis?

aussie_ben91

School Cricketer
You picked him in the Test Cricket Draft is what I meant.
Yeah, because he was stable enough to bat at number 6 and Gilchrist isn't?

King Pietersen said:
Not sure how you can say averages don't mean anything. It's not like I picked 2 guys that have only played 20 games opening the batting, Langer and Gibbs are 2 guys that have opened the batting in Test cricket alot, and both have brilliant records. Not sure how a guy like Younis Khan, that averages well over 50 in Test cricket can be considered a weak link either. Or is this another example of your "Subcontinental fraud" hypothesis?
You were one of the people complaining about Younis Khan and saying that he doesn't deserve an average in the 50's. Overall, Younis Khan is one of the weaker players in your team. Team 3 got marked down for poor order selection (Batting Hussey @ 3 and Lara @ 5) and Team 1 got marked down for selecting a batsman as a wicketkeeper.

None of the Opening Batsman that you selected were in the top 5 openers in the draft and hence why you didn't get a score of 7 or more.

McLOVIN

Chairman of Selectors
every 1 voting for # 1 because, 1st thing they see is GG and Viru opening, and 2nd because they dont feel like looking through the whole thing.

now i almost did that :p i almosted voted for # 1 because it has the current best opening pair. but then i was like hang on, let me check all of 'em

Arunava

Club Captain
@aussie ben

you rate this 7/10 ?

3. Ricky Ponting (c)
4. Kevin Pietersen
5. VVS Laxman
6. Adam Gilchrist (wk)
7. Andrew Flintoff

the average of their batting average is probably higher than any other middle order listed above.

same for bowling attack.
the last four bowlers have the lowest of average i think. average of bowl avg of them.

easily 9/10 or 9/10 or 8/10 and 8/10 :D

Dare

Chairman of Selectors
every 1 voting for # 1 because, 1st thing they see is GG and Viru opening, and 2nd because they dont feel like looking through the whole thing.

actually its because they see Murli and Warne

I also dont understand how a middle order of Dravid, Mahela, Clarke, Martyn gets 5/10. And why de Villiers gets 4/10?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread