Women's Asia Cup

It may seem simple to us, sitting here in the comfort of our rooms with a computer and an internet connection, to term these rules racist and/or sexist. But one must understand that the problem is not so simple. It's not like these laws were made yesterday, when a politician woke up. Religion (another gah, for me) has been around for centuries. All religious laws were made and developed then. The vast range of religiousness of people has made it impossible to find a solution that is amicable to all the parties involved. The problem is rooted in history and ethics and a bunch of other philosophical subjects, which should probably not be discussed here.

Back on topic, looks like the Indians are dominating. However, with the current popularity trend of cricket, I think more and more women in Asian countries will take up the game professionally. That can only be good for the country. Who won the Women's World Cup, by the way?

andrew_nixon said:
By the way, Jaya Sharma's 138 is the highest score by an Indian in women's ODIs. The previous record was held by Mithali Raj, who scored 114 against Ireland in 1999.

Well, records are easily broken if such teams play against other. But didn't know the highest score so far was the 114. Pretty low compared to Men's Cricket.

sohummisra said:
It may seem simple to us, sitting here in the comfort of our rooms with a computer and an internet connection, to term these rules racist and/or sexist. But one must understand that the problem is not so simple. It's not like these laws were made yesterday, when a politician woke up. Religion (another gah, for me) has been around for centuries. All religious laws were made and developed then. The vast range of religiousness of people has made it impossible to find a solution that is amicable to all the parties involved. The problem is rooted in history and ethics and a bunch of other philosophical subjects, which should probably not be discussed here.

Back on topic, looks like the Indians are dominating. However, with the current popularity trend of cricket, I think more and more women in Asian countries will take up the game professionally. That can only be good for the country. Who won the Women's World Cup, by the way?

You're right again!

I think Women's World Champion is Australia. Don't know it for sure.

ZexyZahid said:
Well, records are easily broken if such teams play against other. But didn't know the highest score so far was the 114. Pretty low compared to Men's Cricket.
Well the overall highest individual score in Women's ODIs easily outstrips the highest individual score in men's ODIs.

ZexyZahid said:
I think Women's World Champion is Australia. Don't know it for sure.
It is Australia.

On the whole men not allowed thing, I think it's a shame that men do not have the oppurtunity to watch what is probably the biggest tournament in women's cricket outside of the world cup, simply because of the demands of some religious extremists. My views certainly wouldn't change if I was in another country, to say that ones views change according to which country one is in is a crazy suggestion to make. The rule is a stupid one, and as far as I'm concerned, if it isn't changed, then the Pakistan women's team should be kicked out of international cricket.

andrew_nixon said:
On the whole men not allowed thing, I think it's a shame that men do not have the oppurtunity to watch what is probably the biggest tournament in women's cricket outside of the world cup, simply because of the demands of some religious extremists. My views certainly wouldn't change if I was in another country, to say that ones views change according to which country one is in is a crazy suggestion to make. The rule is a stupid one, and as far as I'm concerned, if it isn't changed, then the Pakistan women's team should be kicked out of international cricket.
Well, Andrew, I think your views would certainly be a shade different if you grew up in Pakistan or another strict Islamic country. And were Pakistani. For example, I think many rules in England/Western countries are stupid. One example that comes to mind is the fact that you have to wear a suit and a tie to sit at the Pavilion at The Lord's. (or something like that?). Is that not too discriminatory, though by a different nature.

And ZexyZahid, this is the highest individual score by an Indian woman.

Put some effort in finding it. Here are the whole results of the Women's World Cup and Australia has won it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/womens_cricket/3642312.stm

sohummisra said:
Well, Andrew, I think your views would certainly be a shade different if you grew up in Pakistan or another strict Islamic country. And were Pakistani. For example, I think many rules in England/Western countries are stupid. One example that comes to mind is the fact that you have to wear a suit and a tie to sit at the Pavilion at The Lord's. (or something like that?). Is that not too discriminatory, though by a different nature.

And ZexyZahid, this is the highest individual score by an Indian woman.

You're right again. :clap For example, there is a rule in China, which says thay you can only have one child in your whole life. :eek: For me that sounds strange too, but you have to live by it if you live there.

And I misread it. I thought it was the highest ODI score by a player. What's actually the highest individual score in ODI Women's Cricket?

ZexyZahid said:
Put some effort in finding it. Here are the whole results of the Women's World Cup and Australia has won it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/womens_cricket/3642312.stm

You're right again. :clap For example, there is a rule in China, which says thay you can only have one child in your whole life. :eek: For me that sounds strange too, but you have to live by it if you live there.

And I misread it. I thought it was the highest ODI score by a player. What's actually the highest individual score in ODI Women's Cricket?

its also in Japan.. As overpopulation is really killing there economy.

Well, its actually the opposite in Japan, I think. That's because they don't have enough young people in Japan. I think Japan's population growth rate is actually becoming smaller. This is what I remembe from Econ class a year ago.

Actually I just saw the figures in this week: Japan's population is decreasing.

And China made a new law, since many families want a boy as child. The law is that they can't take an echo to determine it's a boy or a girl. Normally in case if it's a boy, they take abortion, since they can have only one child. And poor farmers want to have a boy. When they still go to look for an echo they can spend some years in prison. Law is taken into action since they're a lot of boys and not much girls. Which means some boys couldn't get married there.

Last edited:
Does the Pakistani women cricket team participate in women's cricket tournaments/tours if they are staged outside Pakistan?

Last edited:
rahulk666 said:
Does the Pakistani women cricket team take part in women's cricket tournaments/tours if they are staged outside Pakistan?
Yes. See the Country Profile for Pakistan on my website for details. They'll also be playing in a quadrangular tournament in the West Indies next year.

anakwalajinn said:
Pakistani girls suck in cricket! :p
Unfortinatley it's true!
Apart from the holder of the highest individual score in test cricket, and the holder of the best bowling figures in ODI cricket, both of whom are Pakistanis.

andrew_nixon said:
Yes. See the Country Profile for Pakistan on my website for details. They'll also be playing in a quadrangular tournament in the West Indies next year.
Good to see that. At least they are not confined to play only in Pakistan.

Users who are viewing this thread