Sat 9
icon-daynight_13x11.gif
2nd Match - Asia XI v Africa XI
MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk, Chennai
Sun 10
icon-daynight_13x11.gif
3rd Match - Asia XI v Africa XI
MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chepauk, Chennai

The multi-nation event starts on June 5th.
The African lineup is basically SA XI but it would be nice to see the subcontinental teams playing as one unit!

Asia ODI team: Mahela Jayawardene (Sri Lanka - captain), Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka), Sachin Tendulkar (India), Virender Sehwag (India), Mohammad Yousuf (Pakistan), Yuvraj Singh (India), Mahendra Singh Dhoni (India), Harbhajan Singh (India), Chaminda Vaas (Sri Lanka), Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan), Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka), Mohammad Rafique (Bangladesh), Mohammad Asif (Pakistan), Upul Tharanga (Sri Lanka).
Coach: Roger Binny. Physio: John Gloster, Manager: Sultan Rana.

Asia Twenty20 team: Shoaib Malik (Pakistan - captain), Tamim Iqbal (Bangladesh), Imran Nazir (Pakistan), Mohammad Ashraful (Bangladesh), Tillakaratne Dilshan (Sri Lanka), Shahid Afridi (Pakistan), Kamran Akmal (Pakistan), Abdur Razzak (Bangladesh), Farveez Maharoof (Sri Lanka), Mashrafe Mortaza (Bangladesh), Munaf Patel (India).
Coach: Rumesh Ratnayake. Manager: Sultan Rana, Physio: John Gloster.

African squad

Graeme Smith (Captain) (South Africa)
Steve Tikolo (Kenya)
Johan Botha (South Africa)
Mark Boucher (South Africa)
Elton Chigumbura (Zimbabwe)
AB de Villiers (South Africa)
Herschelle Gibbs (South Africa)
Andrew Hall (South Africa)
Jacques Kallis (South Africa)
Makhaya Ntini (South Africa)
Thomas Odoyo (Kenya)
Peter Ongondo (Kenya)
Shaun Pollock (South Africa)
Viru Sibanda (Zimbabwe)
Hiren Varaiya (Kenya)

The corresponding women's teams will also play a Twenty20 international on the same day as the men's Twenty20 match.

Teams for that are:

Asia

Mithali Raj (Captain) (India)
HASD Siriwardene (Sri Lanka)
Sulakshana Naik (India)
LDVV Silva (Sri Lanka)
Jaya Sharma (India)
PRCS Kumarihami (Sri Lanka)
Bismah Mahroof (Pakistan)
Jhulan Goswami (India)
Rumeli Dhar (India)
Priti Dimri (India)
Urooj Mumtaz Khan (Pakistan)
LE Kaushalya (Sri Lanka)

Africa

Margaret Banja (Kenya)
Yvonne Mashedi (Kenya)
Ashlyn Kilowan (South Africa)
Cri-Zelda Brits (South Africa)
Alicia Smith (South Africa)
Saida Ramahdani (Tanzania)
Mwanaiddi Ebrahim (Tanzania)
Trisha Chetty (South Africa)
Franklin Najjumba (Uganda)
Christine Aryemo (Uganda)
Julie Chibhabha (Zimbabwe)
Thandolwenkosi Milo (Zimbabwe)

This should be an interesting series. The African side has a fair few all rounders in it with Kenya and SA combining and Zimbabwe's Chigumbura handy with the ball too. Mortaza a bit unlucky not to make the Asian squad with his form in the ODI game.

cant believe they chose dilshan and razzak in the 20/20 squad

im sure the inclusion of abdul razzaq(pakistan) and another big hitter would make the 20/20 squadmuch much stronger

I would have gone for someone like Dhoni or Yuvraj for the Twenty20 squad instad of Mahroof or Dilshan .
Still, a good Asian side.

My Asian ODI Xi would be,

Sachin Tendulkar
S.Jayasuriya
M.Yousuf
Mahela Jayawardene (c)
Yuvraj Singh
V.Sehwag
M.S.Dhoni (w)
M.Rafique/H.Singh
C.Vaas
M.Asif
L.Mallinga

I picked Sehwag only because there aren`t any more batsmen in the squad and also because Shoaib does not seem to be ready for the ODIs.
I`d have brought in Md.Ashraful for the ODI squad.

He was in the Asian squad for the last Afro-Asia Cup.
The African lineup is a South African one with a few other players getting a look in. Cannot blame the selectors for that.
Good to see Tikolo getting the vice-captaincy.He is a very under-rated player.

I feel that Tendulkar will be hungry to score big runs in this series after being `rested` for the Bangladesh series.
This will be his first ODI after the WC.

Last edited:
Very poor selction by the selectors. Murali should haven been picked for the One-Day side instead of Harbhajan.

Poor selection and stupid teams.
The series makes no sense to me at all.Why play between these two continents ? It's mad :mad

Lookin forward to this. In my hometown too, sucks that i'm not there at that time, though!

and whats with only one indian being in the 2020 squad, that too being Munaf!
I thought Dinesh or Dhoni would be shoe-ins.

Last edited:
Asia ODI team: Mahela Jayawardene (Sri Lanka - captain), Sanath Jayasuriya (Sri Lanka), Sachin Tendulkar (India), Virender Sehwag (India), Mohammad Yousuf (Pakistan), Yuvraj Singh (India), Mahendra Singh Dhoni (India), Harbhajan Singh (India), Chaminda Vaas (Sri Lanka), Shoaib Akhtar (Pakistan), Lasith Malinga (Sri Lanka), Mohammad Rafique (Bangladesh), Mohammad Asif (Pakistan), Upul Tharanga (Sri Lanka).

Muralitharan for Singh
Ashraful for Tharanga would have been better....

Asia Twenty20 team: Shoaib Malik (Pakistan - captain), Tamim Iqbal (Bangladesh), Imran Nazir (Pakistan), Mohammad Ashraful (Bangladesh), Tillakaratne Dilshan (Sri Lanka), Shahid Afridi (Pakistan), Kamran Akmal (Pakistan), Abdur Razzak (Bangladesh), Farveez Maharoof (Sri Lanka), Mashrafe Mortaza (Bangladesh), Munaf Patel (India).

Why???? Where is Jayasuria,Ganguly and why have they chosen Abdur Razzak and Mahroof...

Anyway hoping for a great series and a win for the Asians:happy

Why isnt Asif chosen in both teams. He broke the record in 20 20 vs England..
Anyway i think this series is just for a laugh

yeah so why arnt they selecting proper decent squads then.. my point

Just read from cricinfo. Akhtar has been dropped from the squad after Mohsin Khan feels he is still unfit.

Damn you idiot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread