World Cup 2007 - Preview thread

who do you think is going to win the world cup in 2007?

• Australia

Votes: 44 22.0%
  • Bangladesh

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • England

Votes: 35 17.5%
  • India

Votes: 49 24.5%
  • New Zealand

Votes: 8 4.0%
  • Pakistan

Votes: 36 18.0%
  • South Africa

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Sri Lanka

Votes: 6 3.0%
  • West Indies

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Zimbabwe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Scotland/Bermuda/Ireland/Canada/Netherlands/Kenya)

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
Well what if India had won the world cup ?
Would they have returmed it by now saying that they possibly could'nt keep up to the tag of world champions ?

Well............India's playing really poor, but they just need time, and they got 18 months to improve thier cricket . If India win this tournment, then its a huge relief and India will become confident . I can tell you that India will be on the raise if they can win this tournment, once they start winning, and winning tournments its almost Unstoppable to stop India from losing, If Sehwa , ganguly, Tendulkar and dravids in form with the bat, and pathan nhera and H singh on form with the ball then India will become a strong team and a unstoppable force .

I hate it when poeple say when India has a bad day, they wont win anything . Which is not true.

Last edited:
Indiangod said:
Well............India's playing really poor, but they just need time, and they got 18 months to improve thier cricket . If India win this tournment, then its a huge relief and India will become confident . I can tell you that India will be on the raise if they can win this tournment, once they start winning, and winning tournments its almost Unstoppable to stop India from losing, If Sehwa , ganguly, Tendulkar and dravids in form with the bat, and pathan nhera and H singh on form with the ball then India will become a strong team and a unstoppable force .

I hate it when poeple say when India has a bad day, they wont win anything . Which is not true.

Thats a good thing that you have lot of hopes on the team. even I am such a guy who have unstoppable hopes on this Indian team. But somewhere today, those hopes have started dwindling down! How long can this team be in a bad patch? I now hear frantic calls of 'Sachin, Sachin', etc. But when he returns and the bad patch again continues, what're people gonna say?

Our team needs something miraculous to stop this dirty slide! I feel very sad for this state of affairs of the Indian team!

Sai,Every body is out of form,Dravid,Ganguly,Sehwag,sachin(slightly)

If your top 5 batsman is out of form how do you expect to win matches?Sehwag I dont know when he will be back on form,but the only time I see him scoring runs is againts Pakistan and Ganguly doesnt look the same batsman as he was a few years ago Sachin needs to come back and Dravid is also out of form little bet to be fair,

If Dravid,Sehwag,Ganguly,Sachin,doesnt perform well then who do you expect to perform,The bowlers are doing a fair job as far as I am concern the batsman are the issue,So if you Indians wants to india winning matches you should be hoping for ganguly and sehwag specially come back on form.

Indiangod said:
I'm not really going to bother replying to your post , some of its not even true , ganguly is the second best captain in the world today , and sehwags a much better player than afrdi . And must you pick on ganguly? , and the Indian team ? . You'll see in 18 months time were India as gotten to.

Its all true, and simply because you say Ganguly is the second best captain doesnt make it true. He was second best some time ago. Hes not even top 3 material now. Stop living in the past. The Indian team has more talent than South Africa or Pakistan, and still Ganguly cant get good results out of this bunch. Thats not the sign of a good captain. Sure, Dravid couldnt do much too, but atleast he batted extremely well when he captained the team in Sri Lanka. Ganguly cant buy a run nowadays. He may have scored 10,000 runs, good on him, but cricket is a game played in the present, not the past, and presently ( since a year now) Ganguly is a shadow of what he was. I'm not picking on him like you say, just telling you not to indulge in blind hero worship on the basis of events that took place more than a year ago.

i think pakistan because of many improvement and wins recent ratings are

Australia 27 3672 136
Sri Lanka 18 2179 121
New Zealand 18 2123 118
Pakistan 29 3363 116
South Africa 19 2117 111
England 22 2389 109
India 25 2364 95
West Indies 22 1980 90
Zimbabwe 20 908 45
Bangladesh 20 308 15

Cricketville said:
Its all true, and simply because you say Ganguly is the second best captain doesnt make it true. He was second best some time ago. Hes not even top 3 material now. Stop living in the past. The Indian team has more talent than South Africa or Pakistan, and still Ganguly cant get good results out of this bunch. Thats not the sign of a good captain. Sure, Dravid couldnt do much too, but atleast he batted extremely well when he captained the team in Sri Lanka. Ganguly cant buy a run nowadays. He may have scored 10,000 runs, good on him, but cricket is a game played in the present, not the past, and presently ( since a year now) Ganguly is a shadow of what he was. I'm not picking on him like you say, just telling you not to indulge in blind hero worship on the basis of events that took place more than a year ago.

You maybe right, but the Indian team will improve.

I'm glad we did not end this on an acrimonious note indian God. I'm an Indian fan too, but the media is full of bloody bullshite. Heres a post made by a very respected Indian member of another forum:

There is so much hype created by media and some it reaches such amazimngly mythical proportions that the mind boggles.

Mostly one is content to leave it with a 'they are just doing their job which is to sell the media' kind of comment but the slightly more irritating outcome is the way some of these myths are lapped up by the fans.

One can cite many such myths but here are two from India which arecontemporary and need to be demythified by the decision makers.

Indian Myth # 1

This one is a combination and a sequel to earlier myths about Indian batting but I will stick to the more recent version.

Yuvraj and Kaif along with the established Sehwag are the cricketers India should bank upon in ODI's and the old foggies should be eased out since they are a) not performing, b) are too slow for ODI's, c) are blocking the entry of fresh blood, d) blocking the promotion of people like Yuvraj and Kaif in the batting order where they will do real justice to their skills.

All these things are not said in the same breath nor at the same time but this is the gist of what is implied. The biggest myth in this long statement is about Yuvaraj and how good he is.

Here are the facts.

I have taken pure stats from the last one year (1st September 204 till date) of ODI's to see how the Indian batsmen have performed.

In the last one year India has played 21 matches of which six are against what I term as weaker sides (Bangladesh, Kenya and a depleted Windies). Of the 15 games against the relatively stronger sides, India won three and lost 12 !! This in a year when they did not play Australia and South Arica.

What did the much celeberated do ?

Mohammad Kaif :

He is the only one to play all 21 matches. Surely a measure of the selectors confidence in him and a sign that he has no sword hanging over his head to cause him tension on this score.

M...............21
Runs ........666
Average ....39.1

Add 5 fifties and he seems to have repaid the selectors for their confidence. But wait. But for a closer look I eliminated the 6 matches against BD, Kenya and Windies againsy whom he scored nearly half the runs at 104.3, and I was left with a more modest

M...............15
Runs ........352
Average ..23.5

Yuvraj Singh
He played all but 1 of the 21 matches and had figures of

M....................20
Runs .............509
Average ....26.8

Not that hot but wait till we remove the minnows.

M...............14
Runs ..........248
Average ....19.1

AND WHAT OF THE SENIORS ??

Virender Sehwag

M.........20
R.........511
Avg....25.6

Here is a batsman who doesnt believe in slaughtering the minnows and scores even less against them (19.0) then against better opposition (27.7)

Saurav Ganguly

M...............17
Runs ........451
Average ....28.2

Against better oposition

M...............12
Runs ........ 282
Average ....20.1

So now we know why the Indian team has been so gracious in handing over games to the oposition.

But who has been scoring for India then. Well at the top is the once discarded and now grudgingly accepted (as an important ODI player) .....

....Rahul Dravid.

M...............20
Runs ........790
Average ....43.9

Against better opopsition

Matches 15
Runs 585
Avg 39.0

No surprise here. But still a thought.

here is another who performed better with the bat than we may realise.

Irfan Pathan

Matches 14
Runs 216
Avg 27.0

Against better opposition.

Matches 10
Runs 195
Avg 24.4

Not bad for someone at number 8 particularly with whats gone above.

A tit bit,. Kumble, Harbhajan and Agarkar also managed to average in the 20's !!

For the millions of fans of Yuvraj and his glamourous image :-

Yuvaraj is said to have suffered because he is made to bat lower down the order. If he batted higher, he woul;d end up with more time to score big runs, have a better average than he has today when he has to throw his bat around and gets out with few overs left.

Facts :
Fact 1 - Yuvraj bats slower up the order and recently has definitely been slowing down the innings at the top. He is no Dravid who can play easy at the beginning with the confidence that he will, in all probability bat long enough to make up later.

Fact 2 - The man who many call the greatest limited overs batsman , Bevan, played 105 innings at number 6 and seven for as strong a side as Australia (imagine how many overs left to play) and scored at an average of 55.8 at this position.

Fact 3 - Yuvraj's stats are amongst the clearest one has seen as far as batting orders go. Here are his ODI averages :-

Overall career Avg : 29.8
.................at # 6 : 36.2
.................at # 5 : 28.9
.................at # 4 : 21.5
.................ar # 3 : 10.0
...........as opener : 9.0

A strong case for sending him higher in the order !!

Kaif has better credentials for batting higher up (understandable with his temerament)

Position Inns NO 50s 100s HS Runs Avg
Opening 1 0 0 0 24 24 24.00
No. 3 2 0 1 0 64 66 33.00
No. 4 14 2 3 0 *95 393 32.75
No. 5 15 3 3 0 80 516 43.00
No. 6 21 2 3 0 *83 411 21.63
No. 7 26 8 2 1 *111 596 33.11
No. 8 2 2 0 0 *31 43

More myths to follow

Love Cricket said:
i think pakistan because of many improvement and wins recent ratings are

Australia 27 3672 136
Sri Lanka 18 2179 121
New Zealand 18 2123 118
Pakistan 29 3363 116
South Africa 19 2117 111
England 22 2389 109
India 25 2364 95
West Indies 22 1980 90
Zimbabwe 20 908 45
Bangladesh 20 308 15

What makes you think Pakistan have improved? Just because they performed better on the Indian tour? Or they white-washed the Windies in ODIs? Well firstly pal, Pakistan are on the same stage as they were 2-3 years before. We are only good in ODIs, in tests we are pure crap. IMO they have not improved at all. Its just a step lower or a step higher, here and there. Barring Inzi, Younis and Youhana, no batsman can be counted upon in the current Pakistani line-up! They are doing well at the moment, but need to raise their game higher to match England or Australia or even South Africa.

Last edited:
UsmanCHADDA said:
What makes you think Pakistan have improved? Just because they performed better on the Indian tour? Or they white-washed the Windies in ODIs? Well firstly pal, Pakistan are on the same stage as they were 2-3 years before. We are only good in ODIs, in tests we are pure crap

that is the reason he thinks pakistan is going to win the world cup because they are good in odis right?think before you open your mouth.

fardin said:
that is the reason he thinks pakistan is going to win the world cup because they are good in odis right?think before you open your mouth.

ok, no need to be so harsh fardin.. what he says is partly right.. pakistan have to do a lot to match up with england, south africa, sri lanka or even new zealand!

this is just leading nowhere. this discussion would work better just before the mega event starts! Now we all discuss it based on the current situation. It just needs a series or tournament for a team to swing their fortunes - to the better or to the worst!

I agree with Cricketville, Yuvaraj is useless, and Kaif should definately bat up the order. Dhoni however, is not overrated(ie-today :))

even though cricketsville and others are criticizing th Indian team, India performs well in Big tournaments . They still hold the World Cup Runners Up tag (like it or not , you have to accept it) . India have reached 2 Champions Trophy finals and a World Cup final in recent times ! Not bad . Why they seem to lose the finals is a different matter altogether !
You`ll see India doing well in a few months time. I bet we`ll do well in the home series against England . Also, do not forget that England are very similar to India in one respect ----> A very good test side but quite ordinary in ODIs . They`ll have to improve that record as well.
Sri Lanka, everybody says is a great ODI side which is true to some extent but if you look at their ODI performances outside Sri Lanka, they have been poor (India have fared better than SRL in ODI tourneys outside Srilanka) They were thrashed by India and England in the Natwest Series 2002 . They were again outplayed by India in the World Cup 2003 and were lucky to reach the semis . Again, they were outplayed in NZ and the Champions Trophy 2004 . Remember, the world cup is to be played outside the subcontinent which makes me feel, it is difficult for SRL to win it !

90% of SRL`s ODI victories have come at home .

For me, India , Pakistan and England are the teams to look out for

this thread has turned from the "who will win the world cup in 2007" to the "whats wrong with the indian cricket team". its kinda funny how it changed so quickly. i think it started with... "the indian team always lose in finals"

ok,I think it will any one of the 14 teams which is going to win the WC 07.

Users who are viewing this thread