Warm up matches

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Yeah I found that pretty amazing too, surely he has seen some sort of footage of him bowling on the net or something like that. This is actually the first time I've ever seen him bowl live, but I have seen clips on Youtube.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Well when I read one of your earlier posts I got the feeling that you valued Gambhirs innings more then Jadeja's, I would take 41 of 41 over 14 of 15 in any form of cricket. If Jadeja and Gambhir had of batted with each other, one of them would of gone for it a lot earlier. I wouldn't mind seeing how many dot balls Jadeja faced though.
India v New Zealand at Lord's, Jun 1, 2009 | Cricket Player v player | Cricinfo.com

Jadeja faced 17 dot balls and had 17 singles. The rest of the team faced 31 dot balls and had 27 singles.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
I've seen him bowl live 4-5 times I think, plus watched other clips of his Carom ball on Youtube. There was a Sri Lanka-West Indies ODi series shown on Sky when he made his debut, so it's not like Lloyd can claim that he's not had the chance to watch him on Sky. Pretty sure he's played another game on Sky since then as well, because i've certainly seen him bowl on more than 1 ocassion for Sri Lanka. I also managed to catch him playing in the IPL as well.

I think this is the perennial problem with the Sky team. They rely on hear-say, well the Test commentary team do anyway. That's why Hussain often makes the mistake of telling us we need pace in the England team and then goes on to mention Harmison and Woakes, 2 guys bowling slower than than Broad, Anderson and Onions. Not particularly professional tbh.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
India v New Zealand at Lord's, Jun 1, 2009 | Cricket Player v player | Cricinfo.com

Jadeja faced 17 dot balls and had 17 singles. The rest of the team faced 31 dot balls and had 27 singles.

48 dot balls in a 20/20 game is too much I would say. I would expect around 10-15 in the first six overs and between overs 6-15 maybe 20. After 15 there should be no more then 4-5.

Howsie added 4 Minutes and 7 Seconds later...

I've seen him bowl live 4-5 times I think, plus watched other clips of his Carom ball on Youtube. There was a Sri Lanka-West Indies ODi series shown on Sky when he made his debut, so it's not like Lloyd can claim that he's not had the chance to watch him on Sky. Pretty sure he's played another game on Sky since then as well, because i've certainly seen him bowl on more than 1 ocassion for Sri Lanka. I also managed to catch him playing in the IPL as well.

I think this is the perennial problem with the Sky team. They rely on hear-say, well the Test commentary team do anyway. That's why Hussain often makes the mistake of telling us we need pace in the England team and then goes on to mention Harmison and Woakes, 2 guys bowling slower than than Broad, Anderson and Onions. Not particularly professional tbh.

But how many commentators around the world actually know something about unknown players. I can't really think of anyone, Mark Richardson isn't too bad he knows his domestic players pretty well. The Indian commentators seem to know there domestic players pretty well too, but they have next to zero information about other international teams players.

SciD

Chairman of Selectors
Mahela seems to have recovered form his injury.

As for India. Well favourites tag hardly suits them. Also try to avoid New Zealand in rest of tournament.

King Pietersen

ICC Board Member
Eugh, it's thought that Luke Wright will be opening ahead of Rob Key. Get Owais at the top of the order ffs.

Bopara
Shah
Pietersen
Morgan
Collingwood
Napier
Mascheranas
Foster +
Rashid/Anderson
Swann
Broad

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
48 dot balls in a 20/20 game is too much I would say. I would expect around 10-15 in the first six overs and between overs 6-15 maybe 20. After 15 there should be no more then 4-5.
New Zealand had 50 in their innings.

I did a little study on the first edition of the IPL before I started developing my cricket simulator and the results came out as follows (sample size = 13749 balls):

Dots: 5280 (38.4%)
Ones: 4681 (34.05%)
Twos: 731 (5.32%)
Threes: 39 (0.28%)
Fours: 1701 (12.37%)
Fives: 6 (0.04%)
Sixes: 622 (4.52%)
Wickets: 689 (5.01%)

That percentage of dot balls translates to around 46 per innings, although this was just an isolated study of one tournament.

Howsie

Chairman of Selectors
Nice batting from NZ this morning, 3-6 at one point. :rolleyes: Australia scored the target in the last over with seven wickets left so I guess you could call that an easy victory.

barmyarmy

Retired Administrator
Awesome England struggle to a win against a Scotland side that has been heavily defeated by every county going in recent weeks! :p

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Clarke is showing he knows T20 just fine and Ponting finally produces a good knock. Outstanding bowling by Lee to go at under 3 an over and Johnson is killing it.

Sureshot

Executive member
Eugh, it's thought that Luke Wright will be opening ahead of Rob Key. Get Owais at the top of the order ffs.

Bopara
Shah
Pietersen
Morgan
Collingwood
Napier
Mascheranas
Foster +
Rashid/Anderson
Swann
Broad

Rob Key's form has been such that he should at the front of the team, driving the bus.

MasterBlaster76

ICC Chairman
England are on course....for a disastrous Twenty20 World Cup, if that performance against Scotland was anything to go by!

AndyRAC

School Cricketer
England are on course....for a disastrous Twenty20 World Cup, if that performance against Scotland was anything to go by!

It's all set up for the opening game of the Tournament vs Netherlands - and a shambolic defeat!!

Well, stranger things have happened.....

ZexyZahid

Chairman of Selectors
I thought that Key would open the innings for England. Why was Luke Wright opening? Does England need to see again how he fails? By reading the scorecard, the England win doesn't sound impressive. Maybe they will be better tested tomorrow by West Indies.

Netherlands will be playing tomorrow against Scotland. So somehow a comparison can be made with the England vs Scotland match.

Users who are viewing this thread