2nd ODI: Australia v England at Hobart

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Loved that new-ball spell from Lee/Tait, international batting line-ups wont be too keen to face them once they are bowling well in the WC i tell ya.

AUS selectors regularly criticized deservedly, but they should given credit for picking Marsh & batting him in the middle-order. Especially when:

1. Most people would have picked Ferguson or Hodge

2. If Marsh was picked, let him open the batting.

Tredwell performace with the ball pretty much showed why is nothing more than & county player & why his selection to the WC is just abysmal.

Before i right Prior off, the selectors need to bat in the middle-order.

Sureshot

Executive member
Can't write Prior off on 1 innings, an innings in which he got a pretty good ball. I'd say something like:

"Okay, Prior, you've got 5 ODIs and a World Cup, which equates to 11 innings (maybe more), we want, 3-4 50+ scores, minimum of 6 starts and solid keeping."

Owzat - You can only make changes to the submitted squads with injuries.

Really poor from England today, we had them at 130 odd for 6, Strauss shouuld have put his foot down and we'd have chased 180 and won the game. Tredwell didn't look the part, I think Wright's skidiness might have worked well here. All the batsman looked completely uninterested. Be it Ashes hangover or pre-World Cup tensions, it's not looking like the ruthless England we've had for the last 18 months or so. Yardy was a bit sloppy with the ball, and were it not for Bresnan's lack of a call, could have had a decent innings to his name.

But, Shahzad and Tremlett were very impressive. Shahzad is more and more making me think he'll be excellent in the World Cup, which of course means the 3-seamers will be Bresnan, Broad and Anderson.

What's the Adelaide pitch going to be like? ODI pitch there is probably going to be quite high scoring, maybe reverse swing be key, not much in it for the spinners?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
AUS selectors regularly criticized deservedly, but they should given credit for picking Marsh & batting him in the middle-order.

All they did was make themselves look like further idiots. The only way Marsh is getting into that WC squad is us losing Hussey which ain't a plus.

----------

What's the Adelaide pitch going to be like? ODI pitch there is probably going to be quite high scoring, maybe reverse swing be key, not much in it for the spinners?

270s are about par there, pretty good batting first or second. Next match is at the SCG though if you didn't know.

P

pcfan123

Missed the match so can someone fill me in on how Tait and Hauritz went.

Also the KP dismissal, jaffa or KP being KP?

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hauritz was Hauritz, solid without being spectacular. Figures say it all. Tait bowled with good pace and kept that up before he got injured. Unlucky not to get 2 early wickets with the English struggling with his pace. Still was bowling too short but not his worst.

And KP inside edged onto his stumps, was good ball by Bollinger not a jaffer but obviously good enough to get the wicket.

P

pcfan123

damn Tait is injured again? he is even more delicate then Flintoff and way less effective

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Tait pulled up with a hamstring and Hauritz injured his shoulder. Hauritz is the more serious of the two, I would expect Tait back but how long he will last is another question.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
AUS selectors regularly criticized deservedly, but they should given credit for picking Marsh & batting him in the middle-order. Especially when:

1. Most people would have picked Ferguson or Hodge

2. If Marsh was picked, let him open the batting.

All they did was make themselves look like further idiots. The only way Marsh is getting into that WC squad is us losing Hussey which ain't a plus.

Hmmm, might actually side with you this time War :D It's really easy to criticise Marsh's omission from the World Cup squad today (or during the game as the commentators did), but how many were criticising his omission 2 days ago? Certainly the commentators weren't and apart from the WA papers and the odd forum poster, I can't really think of too many who were pained about it. As you said, people were pumping for Hodge, Ferguson or even Christian more than Marsh. I thought Paine was (and is) wasting a spot in that 15, but I didn't really think Marsh was the hands down obvious choice for that spot.

As for batting order, I mentioned before the match, but I'd like to see either Marsh/D.Hussey batting at #3 to try and keep Clarke and White in the same spots they'll be in for the WC.

And England really need a 4th seamer in Aussie conditions. Maybe not in the WC, but depends what they want: to win games here, or have a settled XI. Wright really needs to play instead of Yardy, or Woakes in for Tredwell. Then get Collingwood in there to be the 6th bowler and bowl slow cutters as your 2nd slow bowling option.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Given the commentators haven't commentated since the WC squad a bit harsh throwing them into that basket. I can tell you the foxsports commentators were all disappointed that Marsh missed out on a WC spot and on other forums there were quite a few that wanted Marsh in before he produced that knock.

Even ignoring the hindsight factor, why did we have to pick a batsmen from outside of the WC squad? If a batsmen goes down in the WC we aren't going to have that same luxury. This means we are a batsmen short, yes I know Ponting is injured but most WC squads have 2 reserve batsmen. So really they brought this on themselves, if they had picked 2 reserve batsmen or just played Paine then there wouldn't be this issue of hindsight. If the replacement performs then great they are in the squad.

Paki007

Panel of Selectors
Aussies you want revenge? make it 7/0 that will be good :p couldnt even chase 230 the english well before this series Andy Flower was screaming for World Cup

angryangy

ICC Chairman
Tait seems to be picking up the sort of niggles you get when you first start bowling in the nets after a break. It just seems like a lack of conditioning. He's probably done the gym sessions, certainly the strength to bowl fast is there, but has perhaps been coddled out of a few nets.

formula1man

International Cricketer
Hmmm, might actually side with you this time War :D It's really easy to criticise Marsh's omission from the World Cup squad today (or during the game as the commentators did), but how many were criticising his omission 2 days ago? Certainly the commentators weren't and apart from the WA papers and the odd forum poster, I can't really think of too many who were pained about it. As you said, people were pumping for Hodge, Ferguson or even Christian more than Marsh. I thought Paine was (and is) wasting a spot in that 15, but I didn't really think Marsh was the hands down obvious choice for that spot.

As for batting order, I mentioned before the match, but I'd like to see either Marsh/D.Hussey batting at #3 to try and keep Clarke and White in the same spots they'll be in for the WC.

And England really need a 4th seamer in Aussie conditions. Maybe not in the WC, but depends what they want: to win games here, or have a settled XI. Wright really needs to play instead of Yardy, or Woakes in for Tredwell. Then get Collingwood in there to be the 6th bowler and bowl slow cutters as your 2nd slow bowling option.

I was, this is what i've been trying to tell everyone.

David Hussey and Steve Smith are exceptionally crap and Ponting is on the way out with Clarke in the middle. I really want to see Clarke do well, but at the moment he is not, but I'm willing to stick with him coz I do like him.

Users who are viewing this thread