2nd ODI: Australia v England at Hobart

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Can't remember if this is the first day night ODI at Hobart but it definitely is a new thing.

According to foxsports our squad is the WC one minus Ponting and Hussey.

So I guessing the side will be

Watson
Haddin
Clarke
White
Dussey
Smith
Hastings/Paine
Lee
Hauritz
Johnson
Bollinger/Tait

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
West Australian batsman Shaun Marsh has been called into Australia's one-day squad to replace Mike Hussey, who has undergone surgery for a serious hamstring injury.

Marsh called in for Hussey

What on earth has Ferguson done wrong. Unless it is his injury from the other night I can't think of any reason why he isn't there over Marsh. Seriously going to lose it on our selectors.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Have to agree with that, particularly since Ferguson played exactly like Hussey does when he was in the side last time ie. finishing job. And he was awesome at it. The only thing that strikes me is 1) left handedness and 2) Marsh played a good innings in England last year - but he looked pretty average in his last 2 ODIs 3) Marsh has made a few more runs in the Ryobi cup, but his average is about the same as Ferguson. Actually Marsh has outscored Ferguson in all formats this summer, so maybe it's not completely ridiculous.

I guess I just like Ferguson's potential better - he looked really comfortable in that Aussie shirt.

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I'm sure there is a fair sized group who would ask what Marsh has done wrong, but I figure Ferguson's broken nose doesn't help his case in a 50-50 decision.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Hes been solid but given the amount of crap Clarke cops for his slow strike rate, its very surprising that Marsh has copped next to none and even the same people calling for him to be dropped for being a slow scorer are happy to pick Marsh.

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

At a quick glance close to 60% for his innings have a strike rate of less than 70 and these don't just include the 6 off 10 stuff, this is when he has been set. Given we already have one guy doing this in our side we certainly don't need another. And even then why are we picking an opener to replace a number 6 batsmen? Ferguson has proven success batting in this spot, he averages 50 batting at 6/7, this call should never have been 50/50 and on paper it not even close.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Bloody useless selectors :mad all are dumbass :mad What a replacement of Mr. Cricket :rolleyes Marsh ???? Why not Ferguson ?? We needed a player of Hussey's calibre and the best name they came up with Marsh :facepalm

War

Chairman of Selectors
Marsh better open the batting then & Haddin drop down the order. Since i dont like the idea of Marsh batting anywhere else.

But of course as you all have already ranted, Hodge or Ferguson would have been better.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
I doubt he opens. I'm with you, I'd prefer he opened, but there are 4 reasons why he won't open: a) they want to keep Watson and Haddin paired, b) they would want a leftie down the order - suddenly we can't find a left handed ODI batsman..., c) Marsh's last good innings for Aus was down the order, d) if there is a new opener for any reason - it'll be Paine. I can only assume that's why he made the WC squad, as a backup opener. We could have done without the reserve keeper in my eyes.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
suddenly we can't find a left handed ODI batsman

Haha funny that, one positive is it takes out Swann from the equation.

Not too fussed where Marsh bats, either way we are in the hoping mode that he goes better than he has so far in the ODI arena. Same with Dussey who we have been waiting to reproduce this innings. Then we are hoping Clarke, Ponting, Johnson, Lee, Tait, Hauritz, Bollinger all find form. Never had to do so much hoping in my life.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Interesting whether Tim Paine plays or not. I'd assume he would after been told to give tonights big bash game a rest by CA.

WORLD CHAMPIONS

PC Battrick Cup Champion S17
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Spun out: knee injury could keep Swann on ice until World Cup

For us that is good but not so bad for England as it gives the backup spinners a go and maybe Tredwell pushing one of the quicks out of the side.

This should have happened during Ashes, just after the 3rd test :p Yeh, Engalnd has a huge backup spinning options. And we are yet to find a one for us :facepalm . I hope Hauri get few matches in this series. Don't just bloody drop him into the subs before world cup.

Last edited:

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
Team news

Things have changed since the first match. Australia's World Cup squad has been settled, so Doherty has made way for Hauritz, but there are also a couple of other issues for Australia. Hussey's place in the middle order is likely to be filled by Shaun Marsh, who didn't make the World Cup squad but is a possible replacement if Hussey is ruled out of that tournament. And Johnson's throat infection should mean a place for Shaun Tait, who had back stiffness in Melbourne and was rested as a precaution.

Australia (probable) 1 Shane Watson, 2 Brad Haddin (wk), 3 Michael Clarke (capt), 4 Cameron White, 5 David Hussey, 6 Shaun Marsh, 7 Steven Smith, 8 Brett Lee, 9 Nathan Hauritz, 10 Doug Bollinger, 11 Shaun Tait.

Prior has come in to take the place of Davies, and it will be a straight swap at the top of the order. Swann will also miss out due to a knee injury, and his spot should be taken by James Tredwell, who is set to play his third one-day international. Paul Collingwood will have to wait for his chance to break back in to the side.

England (probable) 1 Andrew Strauss (capt), 2 Matt Prior (wk), 3 Jonathan Trott, 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Eoin Morgan, 7 Michael Yardy, 8 Tim Bresnan, 9 James Tredwell, 10 Chris Tremlett, 11 Ajmal Shahzad.

Australia v England, 2nd ODI, Hobart: Shane Watson aside, room for both teams to lift | Cricket News | Australia v England | ESPN Cricinfo

Another injury hits our team. Will be interesting seeing how Tait and Lee go together. I'm hoping Hastings gets a few games down the line and wouldn't mind seeing Paine opening again.

Users who are viewing this thread