All Time ODI Cricket Draft <---Shravis uppp

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yah he is :) He's got a stack of 50s but not so many centuries.

I'll go back and edit that now that he's been picked.

shravi

National Board President
Profile Flag
India
Dan missed his 24 hour limit.

114721.jpg

I am picking Mitchell Johnson because he is a genuine wicket taking option. He has a quite amazing strike rate of 31.2. I can afford to have him go at 4.92RPO because he takes wickets so often. Kapil Dev had an economy rate of 3.71, Andy Roberts 3.40, Dennis Lillee 3.58, and Saqlain Mushtaq 4.25.

In just 82 matches, he has already taken 128 wickets at an average of 25.71 and seems to be getting better each series. He has already taken 4 four-fors and 2 five-fors. He performs against the best of teams and best of batting line ups as well. For example, in a one-day international in Malaysia, he took 4/11 off just 4 overs, including the wickets of Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Yuvraj Singh. On 26 January 2007, Johnson took 4 wickets in 8 balls during the seventh match of the CB Series against England, for which he earned Man of the Match honours. In October 2007 Johnson helped Australia seal the ODI series in India. He finished as the top wicket-taker with 14 wickets, which showed his abilities, even on the slow pitches of the sub-continent. His consistent bowling performances earned him the title of 2009 ICC Cricketer of the Year award at the 2009 LG ICC Awards.

He isn't too shabby with the bat either. Against West Indies in the Champions Trophy, Australia fell to 7/172 after 40 overs, before finishing on 8/275 in 50 overs as the pitch flattened out. Johnson scored a career best 73 not out, as Australia scored 69 runs from their batting Powerplay (between overs 44 and 49). Johnson struck three sixes and eight fours in his quick-fire 47 ball innings.

Matthew Hayden (AUSTRALIA)
+ Adam Gilchrist (AUSTRALIA)
Mohammad Azharuddin (INDIA)
Mohamamd Yousuf (PAKISTAN)
Martin Crowe (NEW ZEALAND)
Javed Miandad (PAKISTAN)
Kapil Dev (INDIA)
Mitchell Johnson (AUSTRALIA)
Andy Roberts (WEST INDIES)
Dennis Lillee (AUSTRALIA)
Saqlain Mushtaq (PAKISTAN)

Very strong team IMO.

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Looks like you might be going to the back of the line KP - sorry mate. Half the picks are gonna be keepers anyway, so you won't miss too much :)

Mr Kamran Akmal

That's right, cue the laughter :laugh There may be other keepers that could be argued for, whether for batting prowess or keeping ability, but I like Akmal for the job I want him to do. As it is, I would have preferred Brad Haddin for this role, but Hadds has only played 66 ODIs, so Akmal it is.

I'll list him at #7 but most of the time Akmal will float up the order to be inserted at strategic points to either target the opposition's 3rd or 4th seamers, or to take the batting powerplay. As he's the 7th best bat in the lineup he's an expendable asset so I'd use him that way, giving him a license to play his shots. There'll be plenty of batting depth behind him if he fails. That's what I liked about Akmal in particular, most of time he makes quick 10s, 20s and 30s but on the odd occasion that he gets past those scores he's very hard to dislodge and very destructive. To prove it, he's the only guy I know with a decent number of runs who has more 100s than 50s. If he stays at #7 then he's also more than capable of hitting well at the death.

As for his keeping, I felt a bit sorry for him over the Aussie summer. Those 3 chances from spin that he got crucified for certainly looked easy on the slo-mo replays, but I thought many keepers would have spilled at least one, maybe 2 of them. He relies on confidence so much and looked much better with gloves after he'd spent some time on the sidelines working hard. Heals rates his keeping potential so he's going to be fine for my needs.

Final XI:
1 Gordon Greenidge
2 Virender Sehwag
3 Sir Viv Richards (c)
4 Allan Lamb
5 Inzamam-ul-Haq (vc)
6 Lance Klusener
7 Kamran Akmal +
8 Sir Richard Hadlee
9 Brett Lee
10 Anil Kumble
11 Joel Garner

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Akmal's number are better than his, even when you adjust for era slightly. Akmal also plays the role I want better. And Akmal might be a bit worse with gloves, but I don't care.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Hehe perhaps so. Have I convinced you to pick him :p

And Gazza bro, it's your pick (for another 3 hours). :help

Then it's the missed pick round:
cricketman
num
stinky x 2
KP

Then everyone should have their XI and the mud slinging can begin.

sifter132 added 12 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

So I am the only one that has picked a full squad. What do you guys think of it?

I quite like it - probably my favourite actually along with Gazza's. 4 good bowlers + Watson and Hooper's all-round talents = excellent bowling attack. Batting's quite acceptable, especially since you picked all the bowlers first. Dravid, Clarke and Hooper are all underrated ODI players. Not a fan of Gibbs really , but there wasn't too many great openers left to pick from so that's understandable. He gives the batting a bit more aggression too which maybe is a slight weakness for you.

Don't really like the batting order you listed though. I think you'd probably want to play Watson at #7. He's arguably the worst of your 7 batsmen and he's probably the best guy to hit out at the end. Bump Dravid up to #3, have Clarke/Flower at 4 and 5, then Hooper and Watson would be my order.

But at least you've picked guys with experience batting lower like Clarke, Hooper and Watson, some of the other teams are going to have guys batting at #5,6,7 who have batted no lower than #4.

TumTum

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
I wanted someone aggressive to come in at 3. Then Dravid and Clarke could settle down if things got tough early. With my bowling attack, I don't need many runs anyway.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Yeah I guess, I just don't like seeing Flower at #7 - he never got even close to batting that low. But he's got to go somewhere :D

And does anyone want to finish this damn draft?? :facepalm

Cricketman

ICC Chairman
Guess it's my pick now. Give me a sec.

Cricketman added 15 Minutes and 50 Seconds later...

Javagal Srinath

041018.jpg

India's fastest bowler ever. He was a master in moving it off the pitch and a quick pace, and had the distinct ability to swing it in to the right hander. He got steepling bounce even off a full length. He was a master with the old ball, getting it to talk off the pitch making him effective in all conditions.

In 229 ODIs, Srinath picked up 315 wickets at an average of 28. He claimed 7 four wicket hauls and 3 five-fers.

Cricketman added 3 Minutes and 10 Seconds later...

1. Saeed Anwar
2. Shiv Chanderpaul
3. Kevin Pietersen
4. Mike Hussey
5. Michael Bevan
6. Dwayne Bravo
7. Mark Boucher (wk)
8. Shaun Pollock*
9. Harbhajan Singh
10. Zaheer Khan
11. Javagal Srinath

Well, that team could chase anything down! :laugh