All-Time ODi XI

why aint any one got lee in there side he is like won of the best odi bowlers has an average of like 21

well because this is an all time XI list..and there are many bowlers better than Lee..

why aint any one got lee in there side he is like won of the best odi bowlers has an average of like 21

Much more hot and cold then the rest of the bowlers named I think.

The reason no one has Brett Lee in their team is because we can do without someone who gets flogged for 83 off 9 overs.

Brett Lee = Martin Snedden with pace.

Surprised Daniel Vettori's not been mentioned in anyone's team/squad. He's a fantastic OD bowler, number 1 in the world atm, the most economical bowler in all Twenty20 and he takes wickets. He'd definitely be in my squad, useful batsman also. His overall career record isn't amazing, but in 4 out of the last 5 full years of games he's averaged in the 20's. Cracking bowler.

Didn't say I'd pick him ahead of Murali and Warne, but he's got more experience than Saqlain, he's a better batsman, he's incredibly economical and incredibly under-rated. I'd definitely have him in my 20. Talking of my 20, my squad would be:

Matthew Hayden
Sachin Tendulkar
Sir Viv Richards (C)
Jacques Kallis
Kevin Pietersen
MS Dhoni (WK)
Lance Klusener
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Muttiah Muralitharan
Glenn McGrath

Rest of Squad:
Allan Donald
Shane Warne
Michael Bevan
Adam Gilchrist
Daniel Vettori
Andrew Flintoff
Dean Jones
Brian Lara
Joel Garner

That'd be my 20 man squad. I would take Vettori over Saqlain. I've not seen alot of Saqlain Mushtaq, and he does have a very good record, but I feel Vettori's massively under-rated. He bowls incredibly well on flat tracks, he mixes his pace and has more guile than any spinner and he's such an intelligent bowler and captain. I rate him very highly. Saqlain had a very impressive first few years of his career, but fell away in the last 4, finishing with figures which Vettori has probably surpassed in 4 out of the last 5 calendar years. Take the last 3 years of their careers for example:

Vettori: Cricinfo Statsguru - DL Vettori - One-Day Internationals - Bowling analysis

Saqlain: Cricinfo Statsguru - Saqlain Mushtaq - One-Day Internationals - Bowling analysis

Saq lost it when he made his doosra his stock ball. He really shouldn't have. But till that point, where the doosra was just a variation, he was awesome. Especially on flat pitches. Heck, you could say his entire career was on the flat pitches of India, Pak and SL. That's what made him awesome. He was also one of the first attacking-spinners, who was a strike bowler more than a container.

Vettori would fit if you need a spinning AR, but why would you need a spinning AR when you've got the likes of Pollock, Cairns, Klusener, Hadlee, Kallis, Flintoff and Wasim available as Fast-bowling ARs? Might as well pick Warne + Murali as two spinners with any 3 of the above. If you really want to fit McGrath, Waqar, Garner, etc. in though, then Vettori would fit in nicely.

well Dan there is a player who plays in the Indian team...He Plays for Delhi...he is known as the Nawab of Nazaffgarh..he destroys any bowling attack ....his name is Virender Sehwag ....whers is he?

It may be a fairly modern team, but care to name some older generation players that are better than the likes of Pietersen, Kallis, Tendulkar, Hayden and McGrath?

No worries give you two for every one of yours (Pietersen) S. Waugh, V. Richards, could have come up with fifty for this one. (Kalis) K. Miller, G. Sobers (Hayden) M. Waugh, G. Grenich (Tendulkar) maybe not (Mcgrath) J. Garner, M. Holding

My all time one day team

A. Gilchrist
S. Tendulkar
R. Ponting
V. Richards
G. Sobers
S. Waugh
J. Rhodes
C. Hooper
M. Marshall
J. Garner
M. Holding

:D Sobers! He averaged less than Chris Martin with the bat in ODIs, and higher than Ajit Agarkar with the ball!

:p

And Miller never played ODIs, did he?

Saqlain had a very impressive first few years of his career, but fell away in the last 4, finishing with figures which Vettori has probably surpassed in 4 out of the last 5 calendar years. Take the last 3 years of their careers for example:

Vettori: Cricinfo Statsguru - DL Vettori - One-Day Internationals - Bowling analysis

Saqlain: Cricinfo Statsguru - Saqlain Mushtaq - One-Day Internationals - Bowling analysis

This comparison doesn't make any sense to me. You're taking Saqlain's worst years and comparing them with Vettori's best. Even then Saqlain is only slightly worse than him. Add to that the fact that Vettori's record could never match up to what Saqlain did at his peak, taking 200 wickets at an average of under 20. He is, to date, the fastest ever to 100, 150, 200, and 250 wickets even though he had to share his wickets with the likes of Wasim and Waqar. He makes a good case to be the best ODI bowler ever. The only defense in picking Vettori would be that he adds more than just bowling to his team, but even then I would rather take arguably the best spinner ever of this format than a decent to good spinner who can bat and is an okay captain.

:D Sobers! He averaged less than Chris Martin with the bat in ODIs, and higher than Ajit Agarkar with the ball!

:p

And Miller never played ODIs, did he?

Nope Miller never played an odi and Sobers only played one. Both were consistant big hitting batsmen who were high quality front line bowlers. Ideal qualities for the one day format and both players would revel in the modern game I have no doubt.

Well then, that's kinda Hypothetical isn't it? Cause I'd love the Don in my side, along with Sydney Barnes and the like, but we never really know how they would have fared if they had played ODIs.

Sobers could technically get in I guess, despite the fact that he's got the lowest batting average ever and a bowling average of 31. :p

Oh, and to Tech, Viru has a terrible record in ODIs, and is competing with the likes of Jaya, Sachin, Gilchrist, Dada and Hayden for the opener's spot.

Well then, that's kinda Hypothetical isn't it? Cause I'd love the Don in my side, along with Sydney Barnes and the like, but we never really know how they would have fared if they had played ODIs.

Sobers could technically get in I guess, despite the fact that he's got the lowest batting average ever and a bowling average of 31. :p

Oh, and to Tech, Viru has a terrible record in ODIs, and is competing with the likes of Jaya, Sachin, Gilchrist, Dada and Hayden for the opener's spot.

Jaya isn't competing for anything imo. His average is noting to be proud of when compared to Sachin, Gilly, Ganguly and Hayden. He can make a claim for the all rounder's spot but even then his bowling average is higher than his batting average.

Users who are viewing this thread