Another draft!-Test players of the 90s and later - FINISHED!

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I think you should. While posting my pick I didn't read that the drafts were scheduled to begin this Sunday.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
126726.jpg

Jacques Kallis

The best utility player for me. Jacques Kallis would walk into any modern team pretty easily. One of the most under rated cricketers you would get. No one really talks of the man as one would expect after seeing those incredible figures of his.

He's got one of the best batting techniques if not the best when players of his time are taken into consideration. A solid temperament to go with it. He doesn't give it away, he makes the bowlers earn his wicket! A perfect number 3 batsman who can come in at any situation.

When I said utility cricketer, there's no one better than him. His bowling is actually very handy. Can be used as a third seam bowler and bowls with a lot of heart. Well, there's more. He stands at the slips and to put light on his abilities there, I'd like to quote what Cricinfo have -
In the slips, his sure-handedness and rattlesnake reflexes make ridiculous catches look regulation.

M 145, 246 Inns, 11947 runs @ 57.43, HS 201*

Has 40 test tons. Most for anyone in this period. Only behind Tendulkar overall.

240 Inns, 270 Wkts @ 32.01, SR 67.9, BBI 6/54, BBM 9/92

Has 7 4fers and 5 5fers.

Probably the best AR one could have in this period of time.

ICC Test Player of the year 2005
ICC Player of the year 2005
Wisden Leading Cricketer, 2007

XI

3. Jacques Kallis

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Jacques Kallis is one of the best pick. He is the best allrounder in this draft.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Yes indeed. Thanks for picking Jacques - that cut down my options nicely. Now there is no doubt who to choose...

Shane Keith Warne
Shane-Warne_22.jpg
387452-shane-warne.jpg

You could argue that statistically he isn't the greatest bowler in this draft, although I would argue that he could still be the best, given that his main competition played on much friendlier wickets and played Bangladesh and Zimbabwe a lot more than Warne (but that's an argument for another day...:)). However sometimes cricket comes down to other things than stats. That's why Warne is the only one of 2 players in this draft (and only bowler) to get selected into the ESPN All-Time XI (the proper one, not the fan voted one). Same for Richie Benaud's XI. Also owns the 'Ball of the Century' marking 14 years of his personal domination over England's batsmen.

Why Warne? For me, watching Warne is still the highlight of my 20-odd year cricket watching career. I can't remember ever willingly leaving the TV when Warne was bowling. You always felt something was happening when he was bowling and he was terrific to watch as he worked batsmen over. Yeah he oohhed and aahhed too much, but that was just one way of showing how mentally involved he was as he reacted to how every ball fit in with the plan he was working on. The other thing I like about Warne is how he adapted his game over his long career. Shoulder and finger injuries meant that he couldn't spin the ball as much in his later years, so he worked on other things like the well disguised straight one that got him many an LBW towards the end of his career. He's got a couple of weak spots in his record, but so does everyone else who's played as long as him.

Can't think of a better guy to build my team around as Warne has also proven himself a great inspirer and leader of men, although unfortunately not of Australia. He'll be my captain, no matter who else I select. Good slips catcher and handy with the bat at #8/#9. He still leads the 'most runs without ever getting a 100' leaderboard, with 12 50s and a high score of 99. He's also 3rd on the most ducks list - once he got off the mark his average jumps by 4 :)

Debut: vs India, SCG, 1991/92, a very raw (and pudgy) Warne took 1/150, handled easily by Shastri and Tendulkar.
Tests: 145
Wickets: 708
Average: 25.41
S/Rate: 57.4
BB: 8/71 v England, Brisbane, 1994/95

Last edited:

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Another solid pick. Shane warne at his peak was miles ahead of all the spinners in tests. Both of ya guys have picked my top choices.

Guys please also post debut date at the top of stats, it will help to know when that player debut for his country.

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Sifter, I love you! I mean Warne. :p If Kallis wasn't so tempting, I'd have picked my favorite Cricketer. Best spinner by miles for me. I completely agree with what you wrote about the competitor playing on spin friendly tracks and weak oppositions more. :thumbs

mohit_dude10

Club Captain

Adam Gilchrist

say745.jpg

Debut vs Pakistan at Brisbane 1999 - 81(88) against the likes of Wasim and Akhtar.

Mat: 97 | Runs: 5570 | Avg: 47.60 | S/R: 81.95 | HS: 204* | Ct/St: 379/37​

Adam Gilchrist redefined batting in test cricket. Coming in at number 7 he demolished the bowlers with his attacking stroke play. He was one of the key players during Australia's domination in cricketing world. With an average of 47 and a S/R of almost 82 he set up many Australian victories. In his very second test against Pakistan he went berserk scoring 149* which helped Australia chase a mammoth total of 369 in 4th innings against the likes of 2 W's and Shoaib Akhtar.

He was not only a flamboyant batsman but was also an excellent keeper. One of the best keepers of his era. The reason I picked him over many other great batsman/bowler was that he is one of the few wicket keepers around with such an outstanding record

My Team:

Adam Gilchrist†

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
imgres

Ok looks like I can pick...damn this is tough. So many names just popping through my mind but I will go with my heart:

Ricky Ponting: The best at no. 3 over the last 2 decades, in my opinion anyway. He could be classy and destructive in equal measure. He had all the shots in the book and could rip spinners and fast bowlers apart when in top form. Also a very very good captain who kept Australia at number one after S Waugh's departure.

Tests 152
Runs 12363
Average 53.51
100s 39

Note worthy awards:
Australian Test Player of the Year 2003, 2004 and 2007
Wisden Leading Cricketer of the World 2003
Wisden Cricket of the Year 2006
ICC Player of the Year 2006 and 2007
ICC Captain of the year 2007

Last edited:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
^Actually it was aditya's pick first. I'll just swap your positions in the 2nd round to make up for it. Just be more careful in future.

Both nice picks though fellas :thumbs Gilly and Warne were the 2 players who made the cricinfo All-Time XI (and Richie Benaud's XI as well). I just figured wicket keeper was probably a little less crucial to my team than a spinner. And I'm a big Ponting fan, it's a real shame he's had a poor couple of years because he was unstoppable for a long time there.

Aditya

ICC Board Member
Glenn Mcgrath​

70240.jpg

Test debut : Australia v New Zealand at Perth, Nov 12-16, 1993

Matches : 124 | Wickets : 563 | BBI : 8/24 | BBM : 10/27 | Ave : 21.64 | S/Rate : 51.9​

One of the finest pace bowlers ever. Although not so good with the bat but who cares about his batting when he took wickets at an average of 21.64. More often than not he got the better of one of the greatest batsman ever - Sachin Tendulkar. Tendulkar never really looked settled against him, apart from a few innings where he batted magnificently, Mcgrath always troubled him. Although his on field attitude was questioned quite a few times but then who is perfect? The thing that matters is, he was a great server for his country. Glenn McGrath - one of the finest pace bowlers EVER. :)

My team :
Glenn Mcgrath

Aoun13

Chairman of Selectors
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Allan Donald​
allandonald1.jpg

If the credit for South Africa's success in the modern era could be given to one player, that cricketer would be Allan Donald. A classical action and top-drawer pace would have won him a place in any side in his prime, and for much of his career he was the only world-class performer in the South African team, spearing the ball in, shaping it away and always making things happen. His strike rate was below 50 in Tests and close to 30 in one-day internationals.

Debut:
Apr 18-23, 1992 against West Indies
Stats:
Matches: 72
Wickets: 330
Average: 22.25
Strike Rate: 47

cricket_icon

International Cricketer
^Actually it was aditya's pick first. I'll just swap your positions in the 2nd round to make up for it. Just be more careful in future.

Both nice picks though fellas :thumbs Gilly and Warne were the 2 players who made the cricinfo All-Time XI (and Richie Benaud's XI as well). I just figured wicket keeper was probably a little less crucial to my team than a spinner. And I'm a big Ponting fan, it's a real shame he's had a poor couple of years because he was unstoppable for a long time there.

oops sorry about that.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
A couple of top pace bowlers off the board now. I think good bowlers are going to be a bit harder to find that good batsmen in this era.

Donald had such great style - a fantastic strike bowler.

McGrath, hmm yes, I agree about him vs Sachin. Certainly didn't 'own' the little Master, but off the top of my head I think Tendulkar averages about 40 in Tests when he played against McGrath, compared to about 60 when he played a McGrath-less Australia.

EDIT: Just looked it up. It's an even bigger difference than I thought. Tendulkar averages 36 when McGrath plays. In fact no Indian averages over 45 when McGrath plays - bring him back this summer :D
(India's batting vs McGrath)
When McGrath doesn't play, Tendulkar averages 73 vs Australia :eek:
India's batting vs Australia without McGrath

Users who are viewing this thread