Ashes 2015 - Australia tour of England July/September 2015

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
I've always thought that they just reckon if someone went down in the warm up or something, they could get someone driven in from anywhere really, for them to be there to bat at 6 or so, whereas if you're bowling first, they'd have to wait until they were back on the pitch for as long as they were missing, in order to be able to bowl. Hence why it makes more sense and that injuries are probably more likely to bowlers than the batsmen.

On Australia, I wouldn't be writing them off yet. They're one good Test away from being back in form and one of the best sides around. It's very easy to be so negative after one Test.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
That's ridiculous. The reason the Aussies had such a bad test was that they played in such a carefree style.

We need a nice blend. Bell will be fine. He's the kind of player that gets in form and then goes on a purple patch.

I don't always enjoy Ballance's and Cook's style, but it's very effective.

Add to that, that I imagine Vince is a long way down the pecking order too.

What was the weather like in Cardiff today, anyway?

I guess I forgot to add /sarcasm.

But for real I would like Cook and Bell to disapear and I would equally like Vince to get in the team, probably my third favourite behind de Kock and Narine. I dont dislike Bell, its just he is taking up a spot that could be Vince's

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
That's ridiculous. The reason the Aussies had such a bad test was that they played in such a carefree style.

We need a nice blend. Bell will be fine. He's the kind of player that gets in form and then goes on a purple patch.

I don't always enjoy Ballance's and Cook's style, but it's very effective.

real purple patch he's been having...

upload_2015-7-15_12-1-40.png

[HASHTAG]#deluded[/HASHTAG]

bigred

Club Captain
real purple patch he's been having...

View attachment 150727

[HASHTAG]#deluded[/HASHTAG]

1. I didn't dispute the fact that he is bad form. I was reassuring someone that if he gets into form, he'll stay in form. Might help to read posts twice in future before inferring something that is completely inaccurate.

2. This obsession with stats is pointless. You could bring your start date forward 6 months and that average would go up, or you could narrow your search and he may end up averaging lower than 29. Selectors need to pick teams that they think give England the best chance of winning matches. If they believe, like I do, that Bell has the potential and is likely to score a match winning hundred in this series, then you pick him.

We are nowhere near the dressing room, but people that have been, like Moores, Flower, Farbrace, Strauss and Bayliss keep putting faith in him and are backing him as one of the best 6 batters in the country. For what it's worth, I agree with them. He goes back to county cricket and makes everyone look crap. Therefore, there probably isn't anyone better out there to pick.

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa
1. I didn't dispute the fact that he is bad form. I was reassuring someone that if he gets into form, he'll stay in form. Might help to read posts twice in future before inferring something that is completely inaccurate.

2. This obsession with stats is pointless. You could bring your start date forward 6 months and that average would go up, or you could narrow your search and he may end up averaging lower than 29. Selectors need to pick teams that they think give England the best chance of winning matches. If they believe, like I do, that Bell has the potential and is likely to score a match winning hundred in this series, then you pick him.

We are nowhere near the dressing room, but people that have been, like Moores, Flower, Farbrace, Strauss and Bayliss keep putting faith in him and are backing him as one of the best 6 batters in the country. For what it's worth, I agree with them. He goes back to county cricket and makes everyone look crap. Therefore, there probably isn't anyone better out there to pick.

I disagree about whether the people in the dressing room's faith means so much. If they were always right then Justin Ontong was one of the best batsmen in the country at a stage, Temba Bavuma is better then Stephen Cook and Behardien is better then McLaren (Yes these are SA examples but they prove a point, the men who matter arent always right). Also his stats wouldnt go up, I havent seen Bell score runs in ages and yes he played well for Warwickshire but that doesnt mean he is playing well enough in Tests matches to keep his spot.

In the end of the day you want your batsmen scoring runs, the last time I heard something like 'He can win a match for a team' was when Parnell was selected ahead of McLaren and we all know how well Parnell played in the World Cup. The one thing that has remained constant in cricket is that if your batsmen isnt scoring runs you drop him.

Also Strauss played with Bell and the majority have coached him for a lengthy time when he was performing so they could easily have a personal relationship. Try telling James Taylor and even Moeen Ali that they cant play (or be in the top 6) because Ian Bell has a x-factor that wins a match once every three years...

bigred

Club Captain
Ian Bell is a far superior batsman to Moeen Ali. Yes Moeen looks very nice on the eye, but why when he goes back to county cricket does he not stand out in the way that Bell, Root, Ballance and Cook do?

I don't doubt that James Taylor is a very good player, but he's certainly not in form, so therefore not an option to replace Bell right now. James Vince is another very good player not scoring runs in county cricket.

I would say that Bell, Pietersen and Trescothick are the three England players that I've seen go back to county cricket and make it look awful. I remember the domestic cup final 2 years ago where it was basically 21 muppets and Ian Bell. He was so far above everyone else. He's a very good player and I'm sure he'll come good very soon. If he has 4 more poor to average tests than that might be a perfect time to replace him. Post ashes series are ideal for bringing in new talent.

T.J.Hooker

Panel of Selectors
The ability to fill your boots against average or poor bowling is a very different thing from the ability to make match winning contributions against genuine world class bowling. The very best, like KP, can do both, but there are far more batsmen who just look like top players until somebody really world class bowls at them.

The really bad picks are guys who will grind out dull hundreds in good batting conditions where a better player would score quickly and move the game on, but who will fail in difficult conditions.

It's not just about how many runs you get. It's how you can get them and who you can get them against.

cooks1st100

Panel of Selectors
The ability to fill your boots against average or poor bowling is a very different thing from the ability to make match winning contributions against genuine world class bowling. The very best, like KP, can do both, but there are far more batsmen who just look like top players until somebody really world class bowls at them.

The really bad picks are guys who will grind out dull hundreds in good batting conditions where a better player would score quickly and move the game on, but who will fail in difficult conditions.

It's not just about how many runs you get. It's how you can get them and who you can get them against.

This. Which is also my sentiment regarding Ballance.

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I just logged on and I thought "someone on the last page will be defending Bell and Dave will pointing to his terrible form". I was not disappointed!

Huge toss, as usual. Weather looks a bit dodgy. I reckon I'd bowl first, but I said this last time and was massively mistaken. Big game for Nevil with the gloves. That slope at Lords can be a pain in the arse, especially when you have people bowling at 90mph under cloud cover with the duke swinging after the stumps.

Anyone else not give a flying fudge about this post match beer thing? I can't believe there is going to be one of those "Vote" things on BBC about it![DOUBLEPOST=1437039144][/DOUBLEPOST]
News and Analysis : Eng v Aus, 2nd Investec Ashes Test | Tendulkar's son bowls at England in the nets | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

England had some unexpected help in training, as a Tendulkar had a go at them, with some left arm seam, just not the tendulkar you would expect.

How cool was this?! a 15 year old Tendulkar!

richowebbo

County Cricketer
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Any Aussie fans about unhappy at seeing Watson dropped? I'm very unhappy, but I'm an England fan!

Markkkkk

Profile Flag
South Africa

Users who are viewing this thread