Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

The decision to postpone the game was made just over a week ago but 505 Games had to seek approvals from the ECB & CA before an official announcement could be made. Thankfully for us all we have the return Ashes in the same year here in Australia so we cannot miss this date. I am happy to report that nearly all the technical issues have been resolved but in game development you never know what's around the corner.

Can we have your word on that Mike?

I am a man of my word and I don't give it easily but I can assure you the worst is behind us and we have a new cricket game engine that I believe will hold in good steed for the next 3-4 years. There is a reason we simply didn't use our old technology and have spent so much time and heartache on the new one as we need robust tech that allows to create a cricket game you can play anywhere but I'm getting ahead of myself here.

Thank you for taking the time to post Mike. As you're probably aware people's passion can sometimes lead to them making judgements based on incomplete information so it's brilliant that you're here to correct any misconceptions and misinformation.

I am a man of my word and I don't give it easily but I can assure you the worst is behind us and we have a new cricket game engine that I believe will hold in good steed for the next 3-4 years. There is a reason we simply didn't use our old technology and have spent so much time and heartache on the new one as we need robust tech that allows to create a cricket game you can play anywhere but I'm getting ahead of myself here.

nice to hear that mike :yes

I am really glad to be able to talk to the guys directly and give them the right information on the AC2013 game. I have been so absorbed in the production side and running the Trickstar Games studio I have neglected the guys that actually pay the bills the guys who buy our games. I apologise for this and will be online daily to give you information even Australia lose, win or draw the next three tests!

thanks mike and i must appreciate you coming here and explaining the reasons for the delay. please keep us in the loop.

Yep - credit where credit is due....thanks for turning up and facing the music. Whether too much damage has already been done only time will tell.

You now have a marathon to run while the competition is on the home turn. Good luck! :cheers

I think we first need to be appreciative of Mike taking the time to come on here. This subforum has turned into a bit of a slagging session but I hope now that we show some respect.

Having said that, gamers too deserve respect and are a passionate bunch and it's fair to say that this passion has come across on this forum and the facebook page.

I have some very fundamental questions, that relate to the decision to scrap the Ashes 09 and IC 2010 engine in order to make a "new" engine (i.e. use Unity3D). In the most recent Q&A it was mentioned how those were good games and Trickstar wants to keep in line with making good games with Ashes 2013. Why then, did you decide to rebuilt again? Now, 3 or so years down the track you have a game which, it would appear, has not even reclaimed the ground to be as good as IC 2010 yet.

I would have only thought that were necessary if there was a complete overhaul of the gameplay but we are yet to see any indication of that. The bowling looks to be the same "place the dot on the pitch" method as always, as opposed to the Big Ant method of flicking joysticks etc, which I think is a much more natural method. So far we've only heard buzzwords like "line and length bowling" and "randomisation" but nothing to indicate whether the batting and bowling mechanisms will be very different to previous games. Sure, there might be nicer animations (although the Vine clip suggests otherwise) and the physics might be improved but are the fundamentals any different?

I'd love to know Mike, how do you bat in this game? Is it the same mechanic as all recent games where you press the front of backfoot button and then a direction? Do you know where the ball is pitching ahead of time, give or take some "randomisation"?

For bowling, is it the same technique with placing a marker on the pitch, again, plus "randomisation"?

Thanks in advance mate.

EDIT: after reading one of your recent posts regarding why you are using the new engine, I use Unity myself and am aware of its portability being its strength but the Ashes 09 and IC 2010 games were on the 360, PS3 and PC. There was even a Wii version somewhere but I think someone else made that. What more does Unity3D offer, aside from iPhone and Android? It doesn't seem right for the development of console/pc games to be affected by the ability to port them over to a tablet or smart phone. Anyway, at the end of the day you can't port a fully functioning 360/ps3 game to a tablet/smartphone yet.

Last edited:
What are all the changes you are trying to make in the game??:)

what about a portable version of the game. the ps vita can give out good graphics and support ps3 style of f gameplay. playing a cricket game on the go would be great. i have brian lara cricket for my psp and i still play it. having a cricket game with nice gameplay and graphics overall on PS VITA would be THE game for me, i would be able to spend 100 hours easily as i am always on the move. i have already bugged you million times on twitter, so please give a firm reply this time and not the same one you always give me on Twitter. there is no other cricket game on portable platform, so it can be beneficial for you as well. thank you.

I am really glad to be able to talk to the guys directly and give them the right information on the AC2013 game. I have been so absorbed in the production side and running the Trickstar Games studio I have neglected the guys that actually pay the bills the guys who buy our games. I apologise for this and will be online daily to give you information even Australia lose, win or draw the next three tests!

Thanks for staying active despite the bad reaction some people have given you. Will love to pick your brains about the marketing and production process of these games when all the game hype dies down.

First IGN USA reports ashes delay and now mike fegan is here. This is the day of miracles!!

On a completely unrelated note, welcome Mr. fegan. Happy damage control.

Why have you decided to join PC now? Why not many months ago?

Why do the wicketkeepers in your 'Official' game have no body?

Why did you put the game forward for submission but now claim that you're not happy with it for well knowing that if it had passed then you would have sold a very bad game to us?

What happened to Jamie Firth aka Chief?

Are you here for the long run or will you do a disappearing act like Chief when the going gets tough?

What are your thoughts on BigAnts game and are you jealous?

Users who are viewing this thread