Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

hey MF,

good to see you hear hope you can keep in touch with us and yea please show some gameplay footage

Nice work! We have all this stuff (except Nike) plus a lot more in the AC2013 game.

----------

So please answer the question as to why preorders were taken and continued to be taken for a game you knew was broken and had no chance of being released on the date you gave.

We have been working extremely hard to finish the game in the time frame that our publisher 505 Games required us to deliver. They did their job and got the message out to their customers who in good faith took pre-orders based on the dates we gave the publisher. Trickstar Games screwed up by not delivering a quality game on these dates. The choice was to ship an inferior product and hope the noise would eventually go away and just pocket the money or take more time & expense to finish the game properly? I worked in game publishing for over 17 years before I got into development 12 years ago and I can tell you that most publishers back then would have easily opted for for the former and taken your money, much to the angst of the paying customer. 505 Games took the tough decision to give us more time so we need to fix this situation by delivering a good game.

You can always showing us broken footage Mike, then say what needs to be fixed or tweaked. PS I never thought you would come on here to be honest, a nice surprise so far.:D

No joke I'm here to give you open and honest answers.

Mike, in that 6 second Ac13 gameplay vine clip/video we saw a bunch of things which raised a red flag...

1. The batsman went way back into the crease and played an abrupt jerky shot which was a cross between forward defensive and cover drive.

2. The fielders, mid on and mid off, looked like zombies who were hunched over and didn't come in at all as the bowler bowled the delivery.

3. The non-striker didn't back up.

4. The ball looked like it was heading towards middle stump and yet the ball ended up on off stump and the batsman ended up playing that weird looking shot in the covers.

5. That red blob acting as the "ball pitching indicator" looked clownish and way too arcadey, and the mechanism seemed off putting.

The question from our side is whether you found that clip as disturbing and flawed as most of the folks at PC did? If yes, what are the chances of these flaws getting fixed in time for November?

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see AC13 succeed along with BAC14 so that we get two successful cricket titles but my concern, nay fear, is that the game may well be fundamentally broken. I mean if a 6 second clip can have so many flaws, what are the chances of the game coming out with a bunch of gameplay issues making the game unplayable.

We would love to get your perspective on that video and also how do you intend to ensure the final product is nowhere close to what we saw in that clip.

Do you worry that the game will be out of date as soon as the Australian Ashes series finishes since the Australian and English teams are uneditable? Maybe the PC version could get modded but since extensive editing is already a fundamental feature of BA cricket, there may not be a big enough community here to want to mod Ashes.

Also why is there is non-editing restriction? Aside from the previous cricket games, I can't recall any other licenced sport game with such restrictions.

Also for the other non-licenced teams, will there be a method for downloading the teams edited by other users? One can hardly expect each individual person to edit all of the non-licenced teams.

Last edited:
Nice work! We have all this stuff (except Nike) plus a lot more in the AC2013 game.

thanks and it sounds cool that you have that all, can't wait!! i can't wait for ashes because its a cricket game and also because it is releasing in US(Xbox 360) :p :yes

You can always showing us broken footage Mike, then say what needs to be fixed or tweaked. PS I never thought you would come on here to be honest, a nice surprise so far.:D

I just don't want to keep doing what we have been doing so far to our publisher 505 Games and that is give them inferior art assets that just send the wrong message about the game we are building. We would rather take a step back get it right and then release all the goodies when they are properly ready.

Thanks, I came onto the forums as I was tired on the negativity surrounding the game and sinceChief has moved on to other projects I thought it was about time I faced the music and gave people the right information for a change not rumour mongering and misinformation about the game we are passionate about making.

----------

thanks and it sounds cool that you have that all, can't wait!! i can't wait for ashes because its a cricket game and also because it is releasing in US(Xbox 360) :p :yes

Don't worry I will check out and 2013 thread. more power to you for taking the trouble to do this!

I do understand Mike, I bet 505 games are well to be honest not the happiest producers around these days but I was meaning just here for the footage. Maybe by a video like chief used to do say every month with some footage and showing us what you are working on. If not I do understand as there are jobs on the line including yours. Good luck.:spy

Mike, in that 6 second Ac13 gameplay vine clip/video we saw a bunch of things which raised a red flag...

1. The batsman went way back into the crease and played an abrupt jerky shot which was a cross between forward defensive and cover drive.

2. The fielders, mid on and mid off, looked like zombies who were hunched over and didn't come in at all as the bowler bowled the delivery.

3. The non-striker didn't back up.

4. The ball looked like it was heading towards middle stump and yet the ball ended up on off stump and the batsman ended up playing that weird looking shot in the covers.

5. That red blob acting as the "ball pitching indicator" looked clownish and way too arcadey, and the mechanism seemed off putting.

The question from our side is whether you found that clip as disturbing and flawed as most of the folks at PC did? If yes, what are the chances of these flaws getting fixed in time for November?

Don't get me wrong. I would love to see AC13 succeed along with BAC14 so that we get two successful cricket titles but my concern, nay fear, is that the game may well be fundamentally broken. I mean if a 6 second clip can have so many flaws, what are the chances of the game coming out with a bunch of gameplay issues making the game unplayable.

We would love to get your perspective on that video and also how do you intend to ensure the final product is nowhere close to what we saw in that clip.

To answer your questions as a whole the 6 sec vid was a big mistake and should have not been shown but the intention was good here and that was to show you something of the game. Obviously that back fired and we are at fault as 505 Games had to work with the raw footage and actual in game screen shots we have give them. Firstly, the screen shots you have seen are now over six months old and secondly the vid footage is over a month old with all the graphical stuff turned off at that stage. Now "action speaks louder than words" so we will be working hard through August to get everything turned on and all the game logic and stuff like our Batsmen have 1,134 animations attached to them but in the version you saw in the vid only about 20% was turn on at that time.

Thankfully, Big Ant have set the bar for us with their sneak peak video which looks really nice but we are confident with the additional 3 months extra time to work on the game we can match or even surpass it. Graphics aside what really counts for me is actual gameplay and that is our top priority the game has to play well and we have learn't a lot from our previous cricket game releases so that has to translate to a better game for us this time around.

To answer your questions as a whole the 6 sec vid was a big mistake and should have not been shown but the intention was good here and that was to show you something of the game. Obviously that back fired and we are at fault as 505 Games had to work with the raw footage and actual in game screen shots we have give them. Firstly, the screen shots you have seen are now over six months old and secondly the vid footage is over a month old with all the graphical stuff turned off at that stage. Now "action speaks louder than words" so we will be working hard through August to get everything turned on and all the game logic and stuff like our Batsmen have 1,134 animations attached to them but in the version you saw in the vid only about 20% was turn on at that time.

Thankfully, Big Ant have set the bar for us with their sneak peak video which looks really nice but we are confident with the additional 3 months extra time to work on the game we can match or even surpass it. Graphics aside what really counts for me is actual gameplay and that is our top priority the game has to play well and we have learn't a lot from our previous cricket game releases so that has to translate to a better game for us this time around.

Sounds promising but please atleast show something every week so we can see your progress, big ant have been showing screenshots/CA update every week..

please its a big request..

I do understand Mike, I bet 505 games are well to be honest not the happiest producers around these days but I was meaning just here for the footage. Maybe by a video like chief used to do say every month with some footage and showing us what you are working on. If not I do understand as there are jobs on the line including yours. Good luck.:spy

Thanks for the suggestion and I miss the old Chief already as he used to do all the hard work for me! I plan to give you a weekly update at the start of the week and at the end of the same week on work in progress so you see how we are doing over the next 12 weeks. 505 Games will be releasing screen shots and vision in due course but only when it ready rather than just rushing it out to appease people in the short term which obviously hasn't worked for us so far.

Wish you the best of luck... you are going to need it :thumbs

Let's see how the game turns out come November.

P.S. - Do make sure online gameplay works and we don't get the same old broken online like the way we did in IC2010. One of the reasons AC09 was such a hit was due to online gameplay and I am hoping AC13 can build on that success.

Sounds promising but please atleast show something every week so we can see your progress, big ant have been showing screenshots/CA update every week..

please its a big request..

Thanks for the request but I can't make promises I can't keep so I prefer you give us the month of August to get it right, turn everything on and then the proper information will flow from there through to November release.

----------

Wish you the best of luck... you are going to need it :thumbs

Let's see how the game turns out come November.

P.S. - Do make sure online gameplay works and we don't get the same old broken online like the way we did in IC2010. One of the reasons AC09 was such a hit was due to online gameplay and I am hoping AC13 can build on that success.

Thanks for wishing us luck as we haven't had one lucky break on this production so far but we that doesn't mean we should give up. I agree the 'proof in the pudding" is if the game sells in November onwards so we have a challenge ahead but we will get there.

As previously stated we are not using anything from our previous tech so on the online side we have taken a fresh approach to everything including online but as you say "Let's see how the game turns out in November".

Thanks for the request but I can't make promises I can't keep so I prefer you give us the month of August to get it right, turn everything on and then the proper information will flow from there through to November release.

alright sounds good sir, so are you gonna have weekly video update/Q&A or no? :)

Users who are viewing this thread