Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

Sometimes I just feel ashamed to say I'm a gamer when I see the amount of abuse given and the depths some people will sink to over a game. I don't just mean on this site.
Some people in online forums have a sense of entitlement that belongs in a videogame, because it's so over the top.

I hope the person calling is caught and banned for their stupidity and ignorance, the person who leaked Mikes private details should be ashamed for their betrayal. Bet they don't have guts to come on here and take the flack the way Mike has.

All the decent people on here will no doubt sympathize with you Mike.

It's not just gamers and I would say gamers are one of the most "well behaved" community on the web. The issue is not gaming or sense of entitlement... issue is the anonymity the web provides and people can do whatever they please with no repercussions and no accountability for their actions.

You only have to look at comments on youtube or any of the news sites (cnn, bbc etc.) and you will see a similar pattern emerging. You will see comments with no empathy and no respect for others and I dare say for themselves. This is the biggest drawback of world wide web... it brings out the worst in the people and enables people to act the way they do. Of course it doesn't help when most of the netizens are teenage internet warriors.

No congratulations was deserved for any of those AFL games.

Congrats on entirely missing my point. I expected better from you. Disappointing.

Hi Guys, I have never disparaged anyone and never will as I consider both unethical and unprofessional. Also my private life is exactly that private so the people who have been calling me at home & on my mobile in the middle of the night (the calls are coming from overseas on the sub-continent) please stop! I have no problem aiming your anger at me that's part of the job but when it effects my family that is completely different. I am not looking for sympathy here but the person who gave out my private details should be ashamed of themselves and it simply isn't cricket & playing fair. Thank you in advance for respecting the privacy of my family & I.

After last week I have come to the conclusion that "action speaks louder than words" so I am now more determined to work even harder with the team to ensure we make the best Ashes Cricket 2013 game we can. I will be checking in daily and will continue to give you updates at the start of the week and a round up at the end of the week.

Really sorry to hear this. one who did this should be a fool really should have been professional and should have understood that he is not the only one who enjoys the profit and respect even his subordinates do so please stop this, faults do happen at times its good that they are trying to rebuild their lost status with a good product so please support them

Not wanting to condone anything at all but I do feel the quality of the fb page and forum of this game work this kind of nutter in the hand. If abuse is allowed to stand there festering people start to think it is okay.....

Certainly something to be said for having moderators on hand or social media developers...

Certainly something to be said for having moderators on hand or social media developers...
However it's one thing for us as a site to delete some posts/ban people - but when companies have direct social media relations with potential/paying customers it's a bit harder to find the line.

The constant spamming of DB14 links on their Facebook page for example - how do you decide to approach that as a company - do you delete them and deal with all the comments about them censoring a comparison, or do you keep it and then have your customers siphoned away?

It's a bit more clear cut on the personal stuff, I certainly flag a few of the more objectionable posts, which a independent 'terms of service' removal is usually easier for them than having to internally moderate.

For the corporate interaction with social media, their brand, their money and their reputation can be on the line from one off comment getting traction - yet they have over 30k likes because of utilising a positive social media campaign with the university teams promotion. If you launched the game off the back of that there'd be praise for their social media campaign.

I would simply disable user-comments and moderate posts on status-updates and uploads... Keeps it nice and simple if it's only one person doing it. Issue is they've got 30k "likes" assuming 10% of those are active at any one time, that's a lot to keep track of and you're right... where do you draw the line? If your social media content is good enough then users shouldn't really need to comment on a competitors product... Content is king and ideally, should just be posting more than a video and stuff once a week. Lots of cricket-related content, pictures and media that is non-game related could keep the user-base entertained.

I would simply disable user-comments and moderate posts on status-updates and uploads... Keeps it nice and simple if it's only one person doing it. Issue is they've got 30k "likes"

After watching Channel fours documentary "Celebs, Brands and Fake Fans"
I'm even more suspicious of Facebook and its likes & trends.

Mike so very sorry what these people have done ,
It's the worst thing could happen to anyone,
With a family.
What a very low and childish thing to do , I am sure mike can handle all
The crap chucked at him at work , but to involve his home life like this is just
Sickening to me and hopefully to everyone at planetcricket .

I'm even more suspicious of Facebook and its likes & trends.
Oh, it's all horseballs. The "like" thing means nothing since you can now "buy" them... The most important tool for businesses is the "people talking about this" function that's under the hood of page management. That's the one you want to be focusing on. Great tool for business if used correctly...

It's not just gamers and I would say gamers are one of the most "well behaved" community on the web. The issue is not gaming or sense of entitlement... issue is the anonymity the web provides and people can do whatever they please with no repercussions and no accountability for their actions.

You only have to look at comments on youtube or any of the news sites (cnn, bbc etc.) and you will see a similar pattern emerging. You will see comments with no empathy and no respect for others and I dare say for themselves. This is the biggest drawback of world wide web... it brings out the worst in the people and enables people to act the way they do. Of course it doesn't help when most of the netizens are teenage internet warriors.

I agree re the internet, but I don't regard YT or FB as real communities.
I believe in an unrestricted internet but these sites are not the internet and should be policed.
The two main gaming interest of mine are sim racing and cricket so these are the forums I tend to lurk on. I know from my sons that other gaming genre forums are just the same.

Hi Guys, I have never disparaged anyone and never will as I consider both unethical and unprofessional. Also my private life is exactly that private so the people who have been calling me at home & on my mobile in the middle of the night (the calls are coming from overseas on the sub-continent) please stop! I have no problem aiming your anger at me that's part of the job but when it effects my family that is completely different. I am not looking for sympathy here but the person who gave out my private details should be ashamed of themselves and it simply isn't cricket & playing fair. Thank you in advance for respecting the privacy of my family & I.

After last week I have come to the conclusion that "action speaks louder than words" so I am now more determined to work even harder with the team to ensure we make the best Ashes Cricket 2013 game we can. I will be checking in daily and will continue to give you updates at the start of the week and a round up at the end of the week.
I don't wish to continue a discussion on this, but it is worth stating that I've been pointed to information showing that Mike's personal details are freely available on the internet under the Trickstar name; and that secondly, I am certain that no one was using this site to spread that information.

I would again echo the view that such calls are unacceptable and that people should always remember that developers aren't just names on a computer screen, they are people whose privacy should be protected.

However, it is not right to be pinning blame on any person for 'giving out' private details that are in the public domain.

I'd like that this is all that's said on the matter.

Users who are viewing this thread