Ashes Cricket 2013 General Discussion

Ahem. Admittedly it's not a phone call that I've made... But that kind of thing doesn't really generally happen. :)

well I mean the bat and ball physics are crucial. if you play BLC 99 and compare to IC 2010 you can tell the difference straightaway.

the quality of IC 2010 in the bat on ball department is unfortunately lacking. the ball feels far too light.

the batting animation is messed up - it isn't smooth and the ball flies unnaturally off the bat. plus the batsman suddenly stops moving like a robot.

you really need to sort this out.

the icing on the cake was pull shots to yorkers and ai batsman ponting and clarke unable to play a magic ball from swann that got them every time.

all in all nowhere near 8 from 10.

sadly i would only award 3.

your score lee?

So rain and real wind plus dew on the grass, how about bad light.
Also can you shine the bowl on your clothes to make the ball move.
Your engine sounds great, is the engine 100% new or some small parts
from ic 2010 still there.

Thanks for the new news it's been quite lately chief.:yes
Also when are the questions you were talking about coming, end of this week ?

It's coming: all recorded, just waiting for it to be approved.

Also, YES: Absolutely EVERYTHING is new. Everything. Nothing but knowledge is retained. :)

Not sure about ball-polishing. The previous games have had auto-polish, IE the ball gets older, shinier on one side etc automatically. I think it might become a bit of a chore if you had to do it manually?

----------

Cool. And that does mean bowling is going to be harder during such times, right?

EVERYTHING is harder in those conditions.

Last edited:
EVERYTHING is harder in those conditions.

I just thought, wouldnt the ball handling become tougher thereby the batsman gets a few juicy full tosses? Or rather 'loose' balls?

Also, in EA Cric 07 hitting out of the stadium is common and in AC series it was near impossible. So will our shots be rewarded accordingly?

your score lee?

Hmmm, Ac09 I'd have to say around the 4 mark, for me offline was unplayable due to the ridiculous ai run rates, but online I managed quite a few matches, although don't think we ever managed to get a match connected to each other

Ic10, I'd go with a 5, offline was miles better, better pacing, however still found it to easy to bowl teams out, and the way to get ai out was way to repetitive,
With online, lets not go there hey.!

I agree with those scores in general, but I did really enjoy ashes09 online, which is why I was so disappointed with IC10, (broken online).

On the subject of online play i'd like to ask chief a couple of questions.

Will there be a friends list, with the option to invite to games.

Will we be able to see online players stats, eg won, lost, quit etc.

Will players be able to talk to each other online.

I think these things should be included as standard, and I'm hoping there are lots more online features, maybe leagues, like FIFA, rematch option, and lots more.

Online for me is the biggest part, so hoping for a huge improvement

Me too Lee, I'm a bit worried though because I'm sure chief said somewhere that online was not a priority and more of a necessity, which probably means a very basic half arsed online experience like the previous games.

What platform do you play on Lee?

I'm on ps3

I thought I read that to, so yeah I'm with you expecting an average experience online at best, which seems to me is missing a trick considering big ant seem like they are introducing a more in depth online experience,

We will see,

Hmmm, Ac09 I'd have to say around the 4 mark, for me offline was unplayable due to the ridiculous ai run rates, but online I managed quite a few matches, although don't think we ever managed to get a match connected to each other

Ic10, I'd go with a 5, offline was miles better, better pacing, however still found it to easy to bowl teams out, and the way to get ai out was way to repetitive,
With online, lets not go there hey.!

nice one you getting more generous in your old age? :)

seriously no I think we are pretty much in agreement about what needs to be done to get this game moving in the right direction :cheers

On the subject of cricket game ai I picked up a copy of ps blc 99 on amazon for 1p and tried it on ps3! no luck the software emulation is dodgy and the sound in the matches plays for about a second sounding like an alien then cuts out.

But luckily I still have my antiquated ps2 and it worked fine on there. Trying batting on test against the aussies was a revelation - they kept getting me 3 or 4 wickets down cheaply and even batting in the nets is hard work. warne was also really tough to play against.

To show how ai in cricket games has regressed since then you only have to consider that the only real ai bugs in the game are bowlers not going round the wicket that I see and it being hard to trigger the front foot leg glance shot against fast bowlers due to no front/backfoot control.

However the bugs in the later versions of the game are far more intrusive on gameplay. For example involving improbable sixes, poor ball physics and bad shot ai (the pull to yorker syndrome which I haven't recovered from yet).

I'll post more on the animation side of things next time.

Hi chief

Yes your right shining the ball all the time in the game would get a
little boring but i mean seeing the bowler doing it with a red mark on his
leg.

Also how about the short ball bowling, can you say how that has been improve
for ashes 2013 this time.
In ic2010 the short ball was to easy to pull or hook or cut for 4 or 6.

Also my guess is you have front foot and back foot again what i loved but still
a way to go to get it right, i would love for this game on hard to really mean something
which foot you pick. meaning if you try to drive a short ball of the front foot
the ball goes over the bat with perfect timing unlike say ic2010.

Looking forward to the questions in the days to come, thanks for your time :D

It's more about fine-tuning a current game than it is radically changing absolutely everything about the game. It's the tiny details that can make a game good or bad in my honest opinion and by this I'm going to ask a couple of questions regarding improvements/changes I'd like to see.

Methods of losing a wicket.
*We need the ability to have a greater range of ways to get a batsmen out. For example you see Bowled, LBW, Caught and that's about it. I want these fine tuning. So we have bat-pads to fielders surrounding the bat on day 5 at Mumbai, I want edges through to the wicket keepers that the player literally doesn't have a clue are out - because they are that thin. We need the inclusion of 'Snicko', definetely the inclusion of more poor umpiring, thinner edges, surprised dismisals.

On previous cricket games it has seemed to me like unless the batsmen makes a mistake, you can't get anyone out. There needs to more realistic features of a game, such as a ball seaming out of nowhere to take a thin edge to the keeper, or an inside edge on a ball that just does something.

I find most games in the past to have been all to predictable in their outcomes.

*The variety in pitch types and the way this can affect the ball needs improving. For example your playing on a day 5 pitch, I'd want to be able to pitch the ball in an identical position and have a widely ranging bounce to make it harder to bat etc.

It's all about fine turning the little elements of the game, like pitches and how they react to the ball, to tiny elements of a wicket, the surprise element. We also need a wider range of bowling actions, instead of a slingy action and 1-2 variations on a regular right arm fast/fast-med/med.

yo Chief... I have only one request, LONGEVITY.
Please, all I have is IC10 and it's starting to get boring :noway

zain.

Yo chief,

Whats happened to the weekly question time, should it have been called monthly, we want some news dude, don't leave us hanging.:(

Users who are viewing this thread