Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Watching BT Sport just now and it showed the Aussies playing Ashes Cricket. Screen was blurred out but you could still tell.
First advert in the lunch break was the trailer with Henry Blofeld voiceover.

Finally got Ashes cricket today on the PS4 (downloaded it from the store in the US). Having bought and extensively played DBC14 and DBC17, the thing that immediately stands out about this game is the far superior AI batting shot variety. Only played a few T20s and the AI is harder to bowl to (playing on Veteran) and is putting up bigger targets than it ever did. Also, I quite like the new fielding controls.

One issue is that AI is possibly too aggressive now - it has been going for over 10rpo in every T20 I've played, even on Pro setting. Almost seems a little arcadey. I tried decreasing the "shot force" slider to 20 and it still didn't help - the AI still blasts balls all over the place. Any tips? Thanks

Last edited:
Why do I see people on youtube playing this game bowling yorkers and full length all match?

That is not sound bowling.

Lock sliders from offline???... in what way does that make a better product?

Almost everyone I have spoken to who plays offline use the sliders quite effectively.

Creating 8 levels of difficulty dare I say will create more issues than help...
As gameplay modifiers are not limiting itself exclusively for offline only it's being a effective tool for online so best is to totally remove as physics and maths comes with more issues best is to keep it simple and play with big ants guidelines and respect them

A damn, I was really hoping to pick it up before returning home from university to play over my break. Hopefully it does come out around Christmas so I have a more than just a week to play it.
It w
Lock sliders from offline???... in what way does that make a better product?

Almost everyone I have spoken to who plays offline use the sliders quite effectively.

Creating 8 levels of difficulty dare I say will create more issues than help...
That is his personal opinion but not everybody. If sliders have locked then no one is going to buy
Finally got Ashes cricket today on the PS4 (downloaded it from the store in the US). Having bought and extensively played DBC14 and DBC17, the thing that immediately stands out about this game is the far superior AI batting shot variety. Only played a few T20s and the AI is harder to bowl to (playing on Veteran) and is putting up bigger targets than it ever did. Also, I quite like the new fielding controls.

One issue is that AI is possibly too aggressive now - it has been going for over 10rpo in every T20 I've played, even on Pro setting. Almost seems a little arcadey. I tried decreasing the "shot force" slider to 20 and it still didn't help - the AI still blasts balls all over the place. Any tips? Thanks
Very happy to hear that. It is good and even great if AI bats well.Then only the game would be more competitive .We have to play well and think innovativily to compete with AI

Any one noticed that stats in career mode are heavily batting oriented? you hardly see a bowler averaging under 30 in any format.

After all the postive reviews I will defo be getting this for pc or ps4(if the pc version doesnt appear.
DB14 was passable. I bought db17 on steam and it was just about the worst game i have ever seen. It looked terrible and played badly. A dreadful game that big ant abandoned long ago and failed to support. Just see the steam reviews.
However, Big Ant seem to have finally got their act together with ashes 17 and its getting good reviews and feedback.
Roll on the pc version so i can play at 4K.
can't wait

Any one noticed that stats in career mode are heavily batting oriented? you hardly see a bowler averaging under 30 in any format.

Good point ...

Even in DBC 17 it’s very common to notice the game is batsman oriented.

TESTS:

Hardly you find any innings in a test match less than 350-400, very surprising is 4th innings teams will chase 400-450 easily.

ODI:

Your first innings total will be 90% time above 330 and AI will chase it down easily most of the occasions.

T20:

Scores are above 180 most of the times and chasing will be easy too.

If any bowler averages around 30-32 in any format it equals to what we use to see the averages of G McGrath , S Pollock, M Muralidaran.

Note: I purely gave figures based on career mode.

After all the postive reviews I will defo be getting this for pc or ps4(if the pc version doesnt appear.
DB14 was passable. I bought db17 on steam and it was just about the worst game i have ever seen. It looked terrible and played badly. A dreadful game that big ant abandoned long ago and failed to support. Just see the steam reviews.
However, Big Ant seem to have finally got their act together with ashes 17 and its getting good reviews and feedback.
Roll on the pc version so i can play at 4K.
can't wait

They supported DBC17 with multiple patches, and had to ‘abandon’ it by virtue of not holding the license any more. Don’t make stuff up.

In real also the future will be like this only I guess.
Now a days the bats , pitches and ground sizes are much favorable to batsman.

Good point ...

Even in DBC 17 it’s very common to notice the game is batsman oriented.

TESTS:

Hardly you find any innings in a test match less than 350-400, very surprising is 4th innings teams will chase 400-450 easily.

ODI:

Your first innings total will be 90% time above 330 and AI will chase it down easily most of the occasions.

T20:

Scores are above 180 most of the times and chasing will be easy too.

If any bowler averages around 30-32 in any format it equals to what we use to see the averages of G McGrath , S Pollock, M Muralidaran.

Note: I purely gave figures based on career mode.

It would be great if you can customize the match engine (hence stats) via sliders so create era of your choice , like 1990s bowling oriented era or the post 2007 worldcup batting era , The most depressing thing is that the tailenders averaging in mid 20s even in ODIs which is far from realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread