Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Could it be custom made bats ?[DOUBLEPOST=1514984355][/DOUBLEPOST]
From the amount of people reporting different issues I wouldn't be surprised if there is some inconsistency.

When the most recent patch first appeared I downloaded it and every short ball was called a wide. I turned it off and restarted the PS4 and I've never had an issue since then........

..... any explanations are more than welcome

Man I wish mine would fix it. I get one an over basically

Yeah after doing the logos transfer thing , everything was happening..Warner got out of an edge to second slip...Genuine edge...

The above Ashes game is actually one which I stopped playing because game got repetitive and nothing felt like you earned it but now its a different story altogether...
AI wides still seems to be on the higher side. But that's been there from day one. Still would like to see the dig shot get rid off.
Did you notice the cut shot bug?

Got these after removing the Decal folder to a different place and playing without any logos , teams..

The AI plays very realistically now and I am loving it...I tried everything to get them out but AI was too sensible and they played really well..Taking quick singles when no runs are coming, leaving balls when movement is more and loose balls were dispatched..The front foot prod which I call as the dig out shot animation was also played the way it should have been, there were a slog shots of them though really low which was great too..In the process got these good looking wickets which made me punch in the air to celebrate as they were that good for the situation..

Then at the end Broad and Anderson had a ridiculous partnership and they werent troubled at all..Need to tweak their skills mainly of Anderson, he bats like a top order with shots all around with ease...I even took the 3rd new ball after 160 overs but they understood my frustration and declared... :p

And now comes Australia's batting...Pink ball night session ball was moving around and getting runs was a big challenge..AI now is bowling the stump line like before too..Not just Batting the AI bowling has also changed for good..Whether its good for me or not I do not know..But man that was an awesome session of cricket...Warner got out edging one to second slip..Surprise but was really good delivery too full and swung away which took the edge of the low part of the bat...

View attachment 202637

Then came in Khawaja..And struggle continued for a while but runs were coming off singles and doubles once in a while..It was really great feel though..I felt like AI kept me on the backfoot to survive through the last session of the day which I did..

View attachment 202638

You can clearly see the struggle both batsman were facing...I am not a guy who likes to stick around but I wanted to dominate AI but nope...I just had to defend..Movement across, extra bounce and brilliant variations from AI regards to the line and length just made it more challenging...Thanks a lot to @WealeyH for coming up with such a thought or test it just made me love the game more...Now coming back to the game Bancroft got out to a beauty which @blockerdave @grkrama always talk about driving the ball not being risky when ball is moving around but not this time...Ball was full tempting to drive and did but the result was as below..

Then came in the hope of the team Smith, he as the real him wasnt just waiting, he got off with some dab and run singles and then came in Ali who wasnt left to smile anymore in this match and was played all around the ground..Beautiful boundaries scored and Smith reached his 50 in his trademark style...

View attachment 202641

View attachment 202642

View attachment 202643

But on the other side Khawaja stayed , nothing to say apart from that...The angle the right hand bowlers get across to left handed makes it even more challenging which is clearly visible in Khawaja's case..Though both Smith and Khawaja managing crucial 50 partnership...And Khawaja survives..The struggle was real but the game was just too good to be left but after a 5 hour session closed the game...:D

View attachment 202644

This journey will continue...And eager to see whats in bag for AI to challenge me in the coming sessions...Thanks for looking..:)
Good to see the lags removed from your videos after told you to use Bandicam for Video recordings.:p

I think people need to bear in mind that there's always going to be a degree of randomness in cricket - particularly video game cricket.

I bowled out Australia for 150 in the final Ashes test yesterday. They'd made between 350 and 600 in every other innings. It doesn't mean anything other than cricket randomness.

Reactions: Pat
@blockerdave im playing a different game...

@Llewelynf this more in line with what you get?

@funnyadit could you try on a grassy wicket and see how it plays. I'm beginning to this the AI play reckless on a poor wicket.

Yup. Looks like my game. I do play predominantly on grassy

I think people need to bear in mind that there's always going to be a degree of randomness in cricket - particularly video game cricket.

I bowled out Australia for 150 in the final Ashes test yesterday. They'd made between 350 and 600 in every other innings. It doesn't mean anything other than cricket randomness.

It's not that though, it's just the way the AI bats. Iv had so many random lifted slog shots and the weird prod for six on other console.

It's not what they get runs wise, it's the whole feel of the game

The edges look very realstic. Did you also get realstic outside edges while batting?
I m really tempted to try this out on my console but i dont want to delete all the logos now as its pain to download all the logos again :(
Hope bigant will be able to fix this in next patch incase if they fixed this issue earlier in dbc17
These are not really anything new to me, I've been experiencing these all the time when batting.
From the amount of people reporting different issues I wouldn't be surprised if there is some inconsistency.

When the most recent patch first appeared I downloaded it and every short ball was called a wide. I turned it off and restarted the PS4 and I've never had an issue since then........

..... any explanations are more than welcome
The biggest inconsistency, that often seems to be ignored, is all the variables that go into the match/game. Instead I think people look to the simple solution that will solve everything and mean we all get the same game. The biggest variable being everyone has different abilities and play styles.

Having batted and thought about what I do, why I get so many edges when others get none, I noticed I often play square looking for gaps. I also am fairly loose with my pushing of the defensive trigger. Maybe I'll play the shot before I've fully pushed down for defence. These factors could contribute to it.

Add to this multiple difficulty settings, optional use of markers, people using sliders (a lot of whom probably have no idea the effect changing them will have on their game), pitch, weather, mentalities, quality of deliveries the player bowls etc etc.

Yeah it might not be the logos but not sure what it is but @Bigby Wolf also did something which made his gameplay similar to what I am experiencing that too with the logos..So maybe there's something common denominator in this...If we can come to that then it would be great to patch out the issue which might well be really small issue causing everything...
My game seems perfectly fine with the custom logos got decent amount of edges and had a great deal playing it posted videos about getting edges both while batting and bowling a few times here but no seem to gave a piece of Shite:p to that. Regarding the logo issue this is what I did deleted the save folder from my documents and started fresh with only the on disk default teams the game experience was the worst - played 10 overs of the 1st Ashes test bowling first the AI kept playing that Dig out shot ( don't know what else to call it).
Restored back the save folder and everything seemed to fine be it edges off the front foot , AI defending of the Blackfoot, plays and misses , appropriate late cut shots .i.e. they were played more towards point and cover instead of mid off.

Got one of the backfoot.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not that though, it's just the way the AI bats. Iv had so many random lifted slog shots and the weird prod for six on other console.

It's not what they get runs wise, it's the whole feel of the game

Yeah, I get that. It happens to me too. What I'm referring to really is logo/decals allegedly having an effect on gameplay. Lots of animations are wrong, yes, but it's hard to replicate different people's experiences as a whole because there'll always be a random element.

Yeah there is something fundamentally broken here (again).

In career mode I can go from one game of normal batting to being completely unable to lay a bat on ball (using the same settings). No matter how early i play the shot there is a "late miss" timing and I miss the ball. I've no idea if it has anything to do with logos, but I feel for people who buy the game for it's premium price tag and don't know about these forums where at least the bugs are gone over.

Why we have this kind of stuff in the third iteration I have no idea :(

Its good that we are trying to narrow down what is happening. The frustrating thing is that this was the case with dbc17 and the testing phase was rushed and not completed. With Ashes patches were implemented without testing from those they had asked to test the game. There was a magnificent cricket game shortly before release. Somehow someone has allowed it to drift. BA have said they will be focussing on things again soon and that the fact they are selfpublishing means they can get patches out quicker. I still have faith in them and their commitment but in all honesty they need to have a hard hard and honest look at their systems and workstructures because their games are losing quality as series progress instead of gaining. Dbc 14 was an absolute revolution. Two editions later we are left with a feeling of aspects just not being right. A complete overhaul and rethink is needed imo of the undelying mechanics, especially in regard to AI decision making and gameplay implementation. Will it happen? I dont know but i am still keen to help out If i can but they need to take the feedback seriously and communicate more than till now.

Is there no way to go back to the build that was ' magnificent shortly before release ' or a way for us to choose a version pre patch , I have no idea how simple or hard these things are to do , but presumably very difficult ?[DOUBLEPOST=1514988794][/DOUBLEPOST]
Anyone fancy deleting Ashes and playing without any patches?

You can disable updates in settings

I might try , but won't be playing until the weekend , how do you know if you have successfully disabled patches ?

Users who are viewing this thread