Ashes Cricket General Discussion

Sorry if not in correct place. **With going through all players and assigning correct Styles/mentalities**
Wasn't my best bowling today was abit rusty :)
I'm still buzzing from this days play I've just finished. Some of the best dismissals I've got so far. I'm bowling on Grassy/Hard/Veteran. After the start England put in I thought i was in trouble with a few nicks going into the gaps I was getting very worried. Plus not reviewing a LBW shout on stoneman early on as when i looked at ball tracking was out. :( Until I bowled cook with a peach. Outswinger pitching middle hitting top of off from Starc. Stoneman gave his away trying to hit me to the moon caught mid on :( Vince was a lovely nick off to 1st slip. Ali's wicket was just like I've seen him do in real life big booming drive outside off stump nick off to 1st slip. Best bit last over of the day root still going strong... Starc running in from as wide as he can going across him nick off to 4th slip off a defensive shot I was jumping up and down! Still getting annoyed at the random 6's to keep the run rate above 3.

-Like what's been said before batsmen gain way too much confidence too quickly in the test format. Not looking forward to 2nd innings as they will carry over too.
-Random 6's to keep run rate up
-Remember to shine that ball all the time! I feel it makes a real difference
-Maybe as I have assisted fielding but the fielders seem much more clueless than ever before. Defo less athletic in this game.

Sorry for the ramble but Just wanted to share. This game when it's like this is the best game to play so rewarding & yes it has it's faults but behind some frustration is a great time.

20180109204919_1.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry if not in correct place. **With going through all players and assigning correct Styles/mentalities**
Wasn't my best bowling today was abit rusty :)
I'm still buzzing from this days play I've just finished. Some of the best dismissals I've got so far. I'm bowling on Grassy/Hard/Veteran. After the start England put in I thought i was in trouble with a few nicks going into the gaps I was getting very worried. Until I bowled cook with a peach. Outswinger pitching middle hitting top of off from Starc. Stoneman gave his away trying to hit me to the moon caught mid on :( Vince was a lovely nick off to 1st slip. Ali's wicket was just like I've seen him do in real life big booming drive outside off stump nick off to 1st slip. Best bit last over of the day root still going strong... Starc running in from as wide as he can going across him nick off to 4th slip off a defensive shot I was jumping up and down! Still getting annoyed at the random 6's to keep the run rate above 3.

-Like what's been said before batsmen gain way too much confidence too quickly in the test format. Not looking forward to 2nd innings as they will carry over too.
-Random 6's to keep run rate up
-Remember to shine that ball all the time! I feel it makes a real difference
-Maybe as I have assisted fielding but the fielders seem much more clueless than ever before. Defo less athletic in this game.

Sorry for the ramble but Just wanted to share. This game when it's like this is the best game to play so rewarding & yes it has it's faults but behind some frustration is a great time.

View attachment 203139
How do you shine the ball? Never knew it's included.

Playing test matches for me is becoming impossible, when I bowl first I get 0 nicks it makes bowling so boring and tedious as I know I have no chance of getting a nick...Does this happen to anyone else? Going 100+ overs without 1 nick

I get most of my nicks from bowling bouncers. Especially to left handers. Don't really know why...

Not playing anymore. Field settings are too unrealistic for my liking. There are fields where you have 3 fielders having a tea party together. I have no clue how that would balance the game

I get most of my nicks from bowling bouncers. Especially to left handers. Don't really know why...

Thing is I literally bowl the same deliveries 99% of the time (out-swinger with seam angle up a bit) and some matches/innings I get nicks, but every first inning I bowl the CPU doesn't nick even one delivery...will have to report back, the game is 100% more fun when the CPU are edging it into gaps etc.

Thing is I literally bowl the same deliveries 99% of the time (out-swinger with seam angle up a bit) and some matches/innings I get nicks, but every first inning I bowl the CPU doesn't nick even one delivery...will have to report back, the game is 100% more fun when the CPU are edging it into gaps etc.

Are you bowling effort balls, and getting "Perfect/Perfect" ? I find Perfect deliveries tend to get more wickets than Good/Good, etc

I never thought I like to bowl fast bowling in the cricket game... but playing for 2 days (career mode) I love the way it works... yes it need some tune in, but I like the swing and cutter bowling... sometimes it feels game is broke, but after finding a good line and length to bowl, AI struggle a lot to score and gets edges... I got around 10-15 wickets and all are different one... the only thing I missed so far is edge to keeper and 1st, 2nd slip catches (I get to see edge taken in 3rd slip twice and once in gully)...

I think aerial shot speed need to be modify... all ground shot are good... during ground shoot, ball speed and fielders speed matches pretty natural... but during aerial shoot, feels fielders move faster than bowl... because of that 60% to 80% of time we see unnatural catches in the game... sometime fielders travel one side another before ball lands (like Superman)... if BA fix this issue, it will make AC more realistic...

Had an absolute thriller that I lost.

Needed 315 to win and at the end of day three it was five wickets left with 75 to get. Unfortunately I had Angus Fraser, Steve Watkin, Peter Such and Devon Malcolm waiting if Stewart or Ramprakash got out.

One of them did and I eventually lost by 14 runs. If it wasn't for two stumpings out of my control in the first innings and one in those last five wickets in the second I might have had enough runs. Not sure if it's down to low footwork ratings but each time I had left the ball and the batsman stepped out of the crease and the bails were whipped off. It happened several times during the match but only seemed to count as a wicket for the bowlers. Bizarre.

In general it was a really good match, varied dismissals, edges, bowled, bat pads (caught by the rampant keepers) and most importantly enjoyable. Lowering the ratings may have helped in some aspects; more edges, more play and missing, boundaries harder to come by, more running of 3s.

The game definitely feels like it has a sweet spot; if you get the right pitch, right teams (in terms of skill level), right conditions, right difficulty and settings then it just comes alive. Of course my ability or lack thereof comes into it. And it's not a game you can assess after one match.

Confidence definitely needs changing. Players come out with green confidence in second innings and it seems to be based on balls faced rather than runs scored. So it feels like there's not much difference between a player who gets 10 from 50 and one who would score 300 from 500. I think I'd sooner see a player with a first innings score of 100+ coming out in green, 50-99 in amber/orange and everyone else in red. I still play batsmen in but it feels like I'm paying lip service to realism when I could probably start crashing four from the off.

The other thing is that AI bowling seems to have too much variation of deliveries. Spinners seem to bowl more balls that turn in the opposite direction than you'd expect, I think more variation of bounce and flight of their stock delivery would be more realistic. Although there are bowlers for whom that wouldn't fit the bill. It'd be good to know how exactly balls are chosen, whether they bowl everything regardless of the skill rating for each delivery or if they only bowl balls with a decent skill rating. If it were the latter I'd just start putting a lot of off spinners with next to no rating for doosra. Although I'm uncertain as to whether the balls going in the opposite direction aren't more likely arm balls.

Likewise certain pace bowlers seem to bowl too many cutters when the ball is swinging. It'd would be so much better to have greater explanations of exactly how the bowler mentalities work. I can see some differences but it's usually one extreme to another.

The spin direction thing really boils my piss. It was the same in dbc14, we moaned and it improved slightly. Back to square one in dbc17, moaned about it and it improved a lot. Back to square one for ashes...

Yeah it's rather annoying, I never played DBC17 but I've noticed a lot of weird bugs in this game...In fact after playing DBC14 again that game feels so much more polished than this, even little things like when you try to play a on drive sometimes or a fine legside shot the batsmen bats the ball into himself...like what the hell lol.

I don't use manual fielding unfortunately, use full-auto so the cpu doesn't usually drop them, it's annoying as sometimes the AI is batting so perfect and well, have good scores and then just play some stupid little chip shot to one of 3 guys I have in the outfield. (I play with the thought to give CPU scoring chances so I have a packed slips/gully region, one guy leg side and a mid-on/off. But they still manage to find them xD

EDIT: On a side note, before when I had more fielders in the deep they used to slog the ball over to them, now when I have fielders all near the bat they play this little chip shot to get caught out, it's as if the game is programmed to give you wickets after a certain point no matter what, feels really premeditated when playing tbh

Hey mate, long time no see!

Yup I have moaned and moaned and moaned about well set batsmen giving it away or worse, they play a cheap shot and you drop it (I use semi auto with the catching mini game) and next ball they hit it up again and it goes to auto fielding no mini game caught and out. Absolutely drives me mad that. Was the same in dbc17.

The shot I see a lot of is the cut or guide to the slips. Had one match where I got three out guiding to slips. Haven't taken a wicket that way since but if I see them doing it I will move the slips closer and I've subsequently taken wickets in the slips after that, off different shots.

If you bowl a consistent line and length there are only so many shots open for the AI to play. I'll often adjust my field if I see them playing a shot consistently. One is a little nudge/dab through mid wicket - put in a short mid wicket and they start playing differently. Was bowling with an off spinner and the AI played this three times in a row. I put in a silly mid on and next ball they came down the wicket and were all over the place playing a shot I have no description for.

This is where I think the human player has the advantage. If the AI has a field with a nice big gap you can keep scoring through, or even just know you can defend into, it doesn't block it and instead changes the entire field.

I know I've noticed you do need to give the AI release points to minimise the cheap chips. Can't eliminate them completely unfortunately.

Users who are viewing this thread