Asia Cup March 2011/12

Hmm so I rememer hearing at the start of the Commonwealth Bank Series that Jayawardene was batting at #5 to try and separate himself from Sanga a bit and give Chandimal a shot at #4. It seems now that Jayawardene is opening, SL have again got themselves into the 2 out all out possibility. Jaya and Sanga will now bat together a lot. What can they do? Move Sanga down to #4? Find another opener instead of Jayawardene? Just hope that guys like Chandimal and Mathews do the job?

Well at the start of CB series, they started with that but Tharanga was not performing at the opening slot. He made 4,5,0 in first 3 games. In the same games, Mahela made 23,13 and 43. Mahela made runs but it wasn't too convincing.

Mahela decided to promote himself at the top of the order against Australia and suddenly he was in excellent form now. He made 61 against Australia in that match and that made him stay at the opening slot and he did well at opening slot with Dilshan.

Now they tried Upul Tharanga at no 6 as a finisher and he got couple of fifties there and did much better than what he did at the opening slot and that's what they did today.

Now the problem arises when their top 3 gets out which is Mahela, Dilshan and Sangakara, they have players with not much experience but then one could argue that Tharanga has played 143 ODI's. So he is experienced.

But I still think Mahela has to come down the order when they are chasing a big total like this. They can try sending Thiramane at opening as I think he is an opener and Mahela can take his position at no 5. And they really need Matthews or Perrera to finish the games for them.

So the lineup should be:

Dilshan
Thiramane
Kumar
Chandimal
Mahela Jaya
Upul Tharanga
Matthews/Perrera
Maharoof
Kula
Prasana
Malinga

This way, If they loose 2 or 3 early wickets, they can still build up with the likes of Mahela, Chandimal and Tharanga and then start the hitting in last 10 overs with Matthews, Maharoof, Kula.

We aren't last in the table. Yay! Hoping Lanka lose all their games.

Sri Lanka had the match in their grasp but some irresponsible strokes, especially that of Sanga cost them big in the end.
A point of interest for me is that all three major teams have very few threatening fast bowlers. Spin wise Pakistan has the best attack. Quality fast bowlers are scarce throughout Asia at the moment, it seems.

That's only three more ODIs in this series for SRT. You have to think that he'll call the ODI game a day after this. Surely.

Sri Lanka had the match in their grasp but some irresponsible strokes, especially that of Sanga cost them big in the end.
A point of interest for me is that all three major teams have very few threatening fast bowlers. Spin wise Pakistan has the best attack. Quality fast bowlers are scarce throughout Asia at the moment, it seems.

Spin wise Pak only has 1 threatening spin bowler, Ajmal. Hafeez isn't a big scare.

yep. Afridi has some decent stats against Lanka lately :thumbs

----------

but against India his stats are disaster :facepalm

But he has got two hundreds against India. I would like Pakistan to gamble and open with him against India. That will certainly be a shocker to the Indian camp. Indian pacers are ideal sorts for Afridi to have a go at although Irfan Pathan has certainly got his number.

So srilanka have won it. MJ is the MOTM for winning the toss. lets discuss Ind v Pak please :p

^You are right. Pakistan had to bat first and put up at least 300 on board to win this match. Same will be the case on March 18. I don't see our batting chasing anything over 230 and our bowling is too poor to restrict the opposition to below that.

this is the pair which can guide sl towards a competetive total.a wicket of sanga at this stage will bring more comfort to pak camp

pathetic stuff from misbah, releasing the pressure by allowing easy singles :(

Users who are viewing this thread