Australia and Pakistan in UAE

I saw Wasim Akram bowl a ball at the Gabba v RSA during the 92 world cup, 1st ball of the match, that only bounced/skidded once before it smashed into the metal advertising boards near the sight screen behind the keeper for 4 wides.

I was there watching it live, and the spectators were suddenly shocked out of their early morning slumber as an audible collective "WTF!" rippled around the ground.

So Wasim matching Akhtar for pace wouldn't surprise me.

Hauritz matching Akhtar for pace however is doubtful.

As for this match, I think a total of 200+ will be competitive, bearing in mind the scores from the previous match, though Pakistan's pace bowlers will have to contribute this time.

Can someboy give me some info on this pitch, I see Pakistan are 122-5 at the moment with Butt just getting out. I would assume Pakistan would need to make atleast 200, or else there spinners would become pretty useless as the Aussie's would just milk them for singles.

Good thing is that Afridi isn't going for shots and is getting the singles. The pitch looks difficult to play on, as the score shows.

Just now Pakistan have taken the batting powerlplay after 39th over. I bit too early I would say.

This new(ish) law allowing the batting team to choose when to take a Powerplay will make Afridi very dangerous.

Old ball + tired bowlers + fielding restrictions + Afridi = carnage.

Afridi took some runs in that batting bowerplay, but Australia has finally got him. It's up to the tail now.

ZexyZahid added 8 Minutes and 13 Seconds later...

Shoaib Akhtar is just tearing apart Hopes now. He just 14 runs in 4 balls against him.

Pakistan scored 207 runs. I would say it's a competitive score on this pitch.

Haddin is already bowled by Gul. Didn't expect Hopes to open the innings.

I think the spinners will come on pretty soon after the last two overs, both opening bowlers looking a bit vulnerable.

Australia took the batting powerplay after 15 overs. So far they're doing well.

omg a batting powerplay taken early

angryangy added 0 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

they're madmen!

What's the use of taking a powerplay and then not attacking.

Anyway, Australia seems to have a problem with spin, so Pakistan should let spin bowlers bowl, including Malik.

ZexyZahid added 12 Minutes and 16 Seconds later...

Within three balls Pakistan got two wickets. I just looked away from cricinfo and Australia were suddenly at 93-3.

Afridi's got his 250th ODI wicket.

ZexyZahid added 27 Minutes and 40 Seconds later...

The pressure keeps building on Australia. One or two more wickets could prove crucial. Especially Clarke's strikerate isn't good.

There's not any need to force the attack in this innings. I think it would have been interesting to see Symonds with the field in, because he seemed to have an urge to go after Ajmal. Still, in such a game, the powerplay was used well enough. They have to resist being bowled out, so they avoided taking the powerplay at a vulnerable time.

I don't understand why they are bowling no ball in this time. This is the second over in a row they did this. And Symonds made use of it by hitting a four. First four in 17 overs.

ZexyZahid added 8 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

After that 13 runs over, it's pretty clear now who will win the match.

Symonds has quickly re-established himself in international cricket, scoring at an exciting rate on an ugly pitch. The highlight has been his feasting on Ajmal, whose variations he reads well. He hasn't quite enjoyed leg spin so much, but he will look to take on Afridi regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread