Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia have a veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slim chance to win. But at least they have one. I personally hope jones stays injured for tomorrow. It'll add more taste to the match. Come on gilly smash a 100!!!

If India could come from the blink of defeat to winning surely the Aussies can. It is time for Katich and Clarke to step up. Then Gilly.

Realistically, if Jones is fit and bowling tomorrow, Australia are in real trouble. Along with Flintoff, he's been our best bowler this series.

Can anyone think of a better all-rounder than Flintoff in the world at this point?

Hoggard limping, Jones unable to bowl (?), only 37 behind with 6 wickets in hand, Gilly due for a big one.

Over, this series is not.

FreddieFan said:
Realistically, if Jones is fit and bowling tomorrow, Australia are in real trouble. Along with Flintoff, he's been our best bowler this series.

Can anyone think of a better all-rounder than Flintoff in the world at this point?

Jacques Kallis or Andrew Symonds.

If Australia survives till lunch without losing a wicket there might a little chance. But I don't see that happening.

I agree Freddiefan Flintoff is much better than any other all rounder. He is the complete package. Kallis is very close. Cairns would have been up there but he retired from test cricket. Oram is very similar to Flintoff. Symonds is mainly a batter with dinky donkey bowling. However I would like to see how Symonds would go with a full season in the Aus test team.

I reckon this game is still in the balance, and could go either way depending on whether England can get some quick wickets this morning. I wouldn't want to be chasing too much more than 200 to win, what with Warnie and all (luckily for us there's no McGrath).
Although it was a nice feeling to be the first team to make Oz follow on for 18 years or so, I was a little surprised at the decision. I wondered whether we may have been better to bat again, hopefully add another 250/300 and make Aus need 500+ to win. That would have given us the opportunity to rest up the bowlers for a bit, then had a day and a half to get them out. Then again, I'm not the England captain, eh? ;)

Btw, I'm a bit disappointed reading about Ponting's reaction after he was run out. I thought he was a better man than that. The series so far has been played with such good feeling between the teams too; hope that continues.

Last edited:
There is a reason why Aus haven't been made to follow on. Opponents that get the magical chance to do it usually try and punish Aus even more by batting. Aus have to make sure no further wickets fall for a long time and they have to try to survive the whole day. Then maybe the unthinkable of Aus declearing after being made to follow on could happen but they are a long way away from that.

I think Symonds would only have had a chance if he got more that 1 in his last match lol although i would like to see him we will have to wait till the next ashes for that.

If Aussies form any partnership with the next 3 batsman then they have too set over 200 for england and let warnie do the rest

Aus have to make sure no further wickets fall for a long time and they have to try to survive the whole day. Then maybe the unthinkable of Aus declearing after being made to follow on could happen but they are a long way away from that.

Australia declaring...time for your medication !

I think Vaughany had to make them follow on, and if Gilchrist comes in soon if we get an early wicket (hopefully) then he'll still have to be cautious and thats good for us, and flintoff :d The good thing is we seem to have plans for all their batsman and it stops them from playing freely, which is nice. So fingers crossed for jonesy and I hope we roll them over with a lead less than 100. Whatever happens in this series now, this is just the beginning from england, and the Aussies know that their domination is pretty much over and they'll need to have a long hard look at some players.

Eddie said:
Australia declaring...time for your medication !
I put in the "unthinkable" which means wishful thinking. But who would have thought Bangladesh could beat Australia? Miracles happen just ask India.

"....Trevor Penney, the 37-year-old substitute, fields on the fence"

something to do with yesterday's runout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread