Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aussies stop making excuses we lost end of story england were better outplayed us didn't deserve to win none of this what if crap because it didn't happen!

and if you were around in the 80s wests Indies and Australia games were always like this this young west Indies teams struggled to beat Aust and always limped over the line with close wins then... they because a dynasty dominant team which now the england side reminds me of

Ponting is getting ready to put all the blame on substitute fielder..so Pratt cost Australia the Ashes?

Dont blame aussies for their defeat. I think all credit goes to England for their brilliant test cricket.

I think you can actually blame the Aussies for their defeat. One bad call at the toss in the 2nd test has cost the Aussies. Then you have batters getting out to stupid shots. But I do admit England have played brillantly and put pressure on the Aussies.

andrew_nixon said:
Over the last few years, Australia have shown much more consistency than England. Even if England win the Ashes, Australia will still be the world's best team.

If we can win the Ashes, then retain them in Australia (and win series in India and Sri Lanka), then we can say England are the world's best team.

If the Aussies pull out a win and level the series at 2-2:
Australia go from 133 to 130
England go from 114 to 117

If England take the honours and win the series 3-1:
Australia go from 133 to 126
England go from 114 to 121

If a draw is to come about and England take the series 2-1:
Australia go from 133 to 127
England go from 114 to 119

aussie1st said:
I think you can actually blame the Aussies for their defeat. One bad call at the toss in the 2nd test has cost the Aussies. Then you have batters getting out to stupid shots. But I do admit England have played brillantly and put pressure on the Aussies.

I am not sure it was a bad call by Ponting. nobobdy had a clue what the pitch was going to do and with the cloud cover around it seemed a pretty good decision.
I think England just batted Australia out of the game hitting 407 on the 1st day with some very aggresive cricket
Australia took 10 wickets in the day which in any other circumstances would have been a great effort but its just unfortunate from an Australian perspective that England managed to hit 400+ by the end of the day. not something England have done for a long time.

dazza76 said:
I was enjoying having a good debate and i thought your interpretation of my post was uncalled for. if you want to point out which points i made in that post you do not agree with i am more than happy to debate with you.
Brad take the series on a day by day or even a session by session basis and surely you can not deny England have largly been the dominant side in this series.
Yes we have come close to choking a couple of times and 2 runs and 3 wickets do not sound convincing wins but overall England have played the better cricket in this series by far.
The points you made were pretty much all correct , my point was that if everything is going as well for you and as badly for us as you say it is, you should be winning well, not scraping home to unconvincing victories. The first Test, we dominated and won by 239 runs- if you can't put a team away from a winning position you can't claim to be dominating, as the results show. Without a doubt, you've played better cricket, I'm not debating that.

ashu2411 said:
Dont blame aussies for their defeat. I think all credit goes to England for their brilliant test cricket.
We've played horrible cricket, you'd be blind not to blame the majority of our batsmen and our supporting bowlers for losing. Reality is that we've had over half the team not performing pretty much all series, although the rest have put up great resistance when we need it you can't expect to win series like that.

Yes, but I think Englands bowlers plans and because they actually cause them problems, have contributed to the downfall of Australia, also the fact that the batsmen can't change their style (most of them) and "dig in."

There was a good point made that ODI cricket is the downfall of the aussie batsmen. If you look at guys like Hayden and Ponting they are planting their front foot straight away. You can get away with that in ODIs but not in test. Also you can see how much better a non test player like Langer is going compared to the ODI ones.

aussie1st said:
There was a good point made that ODI cricket is the downfall of the aussie batsmen. If you look at guys like Hayden and Ponting they are planting their front foot straight away. You can get away with that in ODIs but not in test. Also you can see how much better a non test player like Langer is going compared to the ODI ones.

Very true. i think one day cricket has had a profound effect on test match cricket and a players ability to construct a long innings.
I think there is two ways of looking at it, from a public perspective it is more exciting to see teams scoring heavily with run rates of over 4 an over and wickets clattering down throughout the day but from a purists point of view i don't think there is anything finer than to see a batsman occupy the crease and protect his wicket.
I imagaine twenty20 cricket will soon become a regular fixture all over the world and encourage the present trend of heavy scoring and risky shots to continue.

until now all the 'experts' were saying how odi have changed tests, Aussies scoring at 4/over, improved fielding etc. As far as I know Ponting, Hayden are planting the frontfoot for few years now and been successful too. bottomline is that England have matched Australia in most areas and outplayed in some.

Shailesh said:
until now all the 'experts' were saying how odi have changed tests, Aussies scoring at 4/over, improved fielding etc. As far as I know Ponting, Hayden are planting the frontfoot for few years now and been successful too. bottomline is that England have matched Australia in most areas and outplayed in some.

The voice of reason. :hpraise

Shailesh said:
bottomline is that England have matched Australia in most areas and outplayed in some.
Agreed there S, and the reason, as far as I see it, that England's winning margins haven't been bigger is that Aus are such a great team and have fought to the death, rightly so for a team that has so dominated world cricket over the past 10-15 years.

Australia are still the best team in the world in my opinion and England have a good way to go to reach the levels Australia have in the last decade. the 06/07 ashes series in Australia will be a good test of how far we have come.
I am going to make a very bold prediction now and i can understand and accept if anybody wants to say im talking crap but Michael Vaughan will not be England captain come the 06/07 ashes series.

Last edited:
dazza76 said:
Australia are still the best team in the world in my opinion and England have a good way to go to reach the levels Australia have in the last decade. the 06/07 ashes series in Australia will be a good test of how far we have come.
I am going to make a very bold prediction now and i can understand and accept if anybody wants to say im talking crap but Michael Vaughan will not be England captain come the 06/07 ashes series.
I hope he isnt. I dont really like him anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread