Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Australia are still the best team in the world in my opinion and England have a good way to go to reach the levels Australia have in the last decade.

England aren't as good as Australia were in the last decade, BUT, Australia aren't as good as they were in the last decade either.

But England (if they win/draw at the Oval), will be better NOW, and thats what counts.

I mean you couldn't loose 3-1 to a team ...then claim you are better..that would be lunacy.

Eddie said:
England aren't as good as Australia were in the last decade, BUT, Australia aren't as good as they were in the last decade either.

But England (if they win/draw at the Oval), will be better NOW, and thats what counts.

I mean you couldn't loose 3-1 to a team ...then claim you are better..that would be lunacy.
draw would mean they win 2-1 and that can be argued as lack of form from the aussies

If Aus lose the Ashes England can be called better. If Aus retain it then they are still better even though they have been crap all series.

Yes but i just cant see this England side ever being as good sa the Aussies have been in the last decade.

I also cant see them beating India when they are playing well because England cant seem to finish off i side no matter how down and out they are.

Annihilation66 said:
I also cant see them beating India when they are playing well because England cant seem to finish off i side no matter how down and out they are.
This was a problem for England a few years back, but over the last two years against WI, NZ and SA not so much. It's only been a problem this series, due to the quality and fight in some of the Aus lower order. Warne and Lee would fill higher batting spots in many Test teams in the world.

Annihilation66 said:

You mean they cannot finish off the team that has been the best in the world for the last 10 years :rolleyes:

Even if England win the series they are not the best team in the world. They need to win consistently over the next couple of years (and really need to beat Aus in Aus) to be called the best.

As Sando stated, the test rankings try to give an accurate indication of who is the best.

England are played superb over the last 2 years. England as won every test series since then, they have either won or drawen the away series. If england wins the ashes it still doesent prove englands the best team in the world. If england wants to be the best team in the world, then they have to beat India in India, and beat the aussies in australia. Which is very unlikely, they might come close to drawing it, but cant see them beating them.

Beating India and the aussies in thier own back yard in a test series is rated highley.

Annihilation66 said:
Yes but i just cant see this England side ever being as good sa the Aussies have been in the last decade.

The Aussies under Steve Waugh when they won 16 tests on the trot were simply awesome. probably the best test team of all time.
In the next year or two i think Australia will be going through a transitional period with some of the team hanging up there boots and new players coming in to the side, it will take time for the cohesivness to develop.
Do Australia have the players waiting in the wings to come in and make a name for themselves? Glenn Mcgrath and Shane Warne will take some replacing. sometimes i get the impression Warne has a psychological hold on some batsman and can take wickets just by his presence and it will take somebody special to replace him.
England although far from the finished article have come on leaps and bounds in the last 3 years or so (our last series defeat was the 2002/2003 ashes series in Australia) England are still improving and compared to the Australia are a very young side.
Whoever wins the ashes i still feel Australia are the best test team in the world. If both sides played at there full potential I have no doubts Australia would come out on top but i really feel with the improvments in the England team and fact some of Australia's big guns might not be around for the 2006/07 ashes England have every chance of taking over the mantle.

dazza76 said:
The Aussies under Steve Waugh when they won 16 tests on the trot were simply awesome. probably the best test team of all time.
In the next year or two i think Australia will be going through a transitional period with some of the team hanging up there boots and new players coming in to the side, it will take time for the cohesivness to develop.
Do Australia have the players waiting in the wings to come in and make a name for themselves? Glenn Mcgrath and Shane Warne will take some replacing. sometimes i get the impression Warne has a psychological hold on some batsman and can take wickets just by his presence and it will take somebody special to replace him.
England although far from the finished article have come on leaps and bounds in the last 3 years or so (our last series defeat was the 2002/2003 ashes series in Australia) England are still improving and compared to the Australia are a very young side.
Whoever wins the ashes i still feel Australia are the best test team in the world. If both sides played at there full potential I have no doubts Australia would come out on top but i really feel with the improvments in the England team and fact some of Australia's big guns might not be around for the 2006/07 ashes England have every chance of taking over the mantle.

I agree with this. Just one question. Why do you think Vaughan won't be captain come next Ashes?

I think England will do ok in the India tour, nothing to fear in terms of their bowling attack. And also we have in my opinion and others the best bowling attack in the world. The pitches are bound to be batsmen friendly and I can see England getting some big scores. I think the only worry is we may have some drawn games, im unaware of how pitches wear in India

just to add a bit of "fuel to the fire"

If Shane Warne and Glan McGrath retired after the 5th ashes test..would you still think Australia were the best team in the World??

At the moment I reckon Zimbabwe could give them a run for their money :p
Seriously, whilst the lack of control from the bowlers has been a big problem against most other sides they won't be under as much pressure when bowling or get punished as much.
Who do Aus play next?

Eddie said:

If Shane Warne and Glan McGrath retired after the 5th ashes test..would you still think Australia were the best team in the World??

They probably would still be considered the best team in the world, until they started having poor results against other teams. I, personally think no, they would not be. Glenn and Shane would leave a massive hole in the Australian team. Australia would have been demolished if they and Lee were not around for their batting and bowling!!! Take two from Warne, Mcgrath and Lee and the attack is lightweight.

themuel1 said:
I agree with this. Just one question. Why do you think Vaughan won't be captain come next Ashes?

I think his form has suffered badly with the bat since taking over as captain he has gone from been ranked number 1 to a lowly 28th. his footwork and shot selection seem to have diminished big time.
If England win the ashes this summer then that is the ultimate achievment and anything else he achieves under his captaincy will not compare.
He may quit after the winter tours to Pakistan and India. it is just a hunch nothing more.
What do England need most? Vaughan pre captaincy who was one of the best batsmen in the world and top of the world ratings after the last ashes series or Vaughan to continue as captain?
It's just an hunch though nothing more.

Eddie said:

Personally yes.
It all depends on there performances afterwards.

barmyarmy said:
At the moment I reckon Zimbabwe could give them a run for their money :p
Seriously, whilst the lack of control from the bowlers has been a big problem against most other sides they won't be under as much pressure when bowling or get punished as much.
Who do Aus play next?

I think they host West Indies and South Africa next.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread