Australia in England

What will be outcome of the AshesTest series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC website is saying that McGrath could be out for 6 weeks. Excuse me while I nip down the bookies before all the odds get changed! :D
Now if we can just find a way to injure Shane Warne the series is ours for the taking...

barmyarmy said:
BBC website is saying that McGrath could be out for 6 weeks. Excuse me while I nip down the bookies before all the odds get changed! :D
Now if we can just find a way to injure Shane Warne the series is ours for the taking...
What we need is for another tornado to go through Birmingham, just as the Aussies are driving to the ground tomorrow morning :D

I don't want anyone dead of course, just knocked about a bit.

wow. Never seen such high scoring in a Test match. RR of 5.13 to get to 407!!

Sad that Mc Grath is injured. Not that sad since I want england to win!!

Just got back from Edgbaston, what an amazing day's play!

Boundries flying all over the pitch, Flintoff whacking them into the stands, Harmison hitting Lee for 6....

I only wish it hadn't started raining (I care a lot more at the ground than I do when I'm watching on TV!) and we could have nipped out a couple of early wickets.

What do people think of England's score? Par, above, below?

I think it's pretty good, but depends on how we bowl.

Thats a great score in one day but 400 has been the bench mark in the first inns so maybe England fell a bit short. But good on them for taking Aus on, now we will see how good the score is when Aus come out.

barmyarmy said:

six weeks is maximin for his injury to heal, he could be out for much lower than that, he could surprise everyone and be in the starting lineup for the 3rd test

EDIT- i just saw an interview from glenn mcgrath on fox sports news and he said at the worst he will be back for the 4th test at trent bridge, but he said hes pretty optimistic for starting next weeks 3rd test

Last edited:
andrew_nixon said:
What we need is for another tornado to go through Birmingham, just as the Aussies are driving to the ground tomorrow morning :D

I don't want anyone dead of course, just knocked about a bit.

Give Jennfier Ellison their room key then :p :upray

Barmyarmy- I think putting pietersen at 3 is risky. Vaughan looked very solid until he had a rush of blood, Bell should be out of the team, bring in a Leftie, Thorpe if he'll come if not Is Butcher fit?

Sureshot said:
Give Jennfier Ellison their room key then :p :upray

Barmyarmy- I think putting pietersen at 3 is risky. Vaughan looked very solid until he had a rush of blood, Bell should be out of the team, bring in a Leftie, Thorpe if he'll come if not Is Butcher fit?

Lol, was the :upray for yourself? ;)

Agree with bringing in a lefty. G.P.Thorpe gets my vote :p

andrew_nixon said:
Thope's retired from international cricket, Butcher's injured. Could be time to give Ed Joyce a call.

What's Butchers injury?

That was a great first day. Good on England for pushing the run rate the whole way through. Great effort by the Australian bowlers, had to work extremely hard not having any pace/bounce/seam/swing to utilize.

Also good to see the calls of 'Aussie bowling is weak without McGrath.' Perhaps the Australian bats will go down the same path, but I thought it was England's ability to score only 407 on a perfect batting strip that was decidedly average.....

Sando said:
Also good to see the calls of 'Aussie bowling is weak without McGrath.' Perhaps the Australian bats will go down the same path, but I thought it was England's ability to score only 407 on a perfect batting strip that was decidedly average.....

Interesting decision by Ponting then to put England in on a 'perfect batting strip'.
Glenn McGrath is hugely important to the Aussie attack and while 407 may only be a par score it's the first innings this series where we've even approached par. I'm not naive enough to think that Aus will lose the series if McGrath can't play again but it does reduce Australia's biggest asset; their hold over the England batsman. I reckon the belief amongst the batsmen today came from not having to face McGrath as much as it did from the pitch being flat and slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread