• Aus test, SA odi series

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • SA test, Aus odi series

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • SA test, SA odi series

Votes: 18 20.7%

• Total voters
cricket_lover said:
They need a quality spinner, not part-timers like Hogg. They are indeed missing Warne here.
Why do people continually call Hogg a part timer? A better question would be why does he continually get dropped for no reason at all

Code:
Bowling averages 
class  mat  balls  runs  wkts  bbi  bbm  ave  econ  sr  4  5  10 
ODIs   82   3810   2880   98   5/32   5/32   29.38   4.53   38.87   0   2   0 

class  mat  inns  no  runs  hs  ave  bf  sr  100  50  4s  6s  ct  st 
ODIs   82   47   21   549   71*   21.11   698   78.65   0   2   28   1   24   0

warne wont be back im tellin ya now

yeh i know wtf is with ponting continually bowling lee at the death? hes done it so often and failed...

hogg could bat at 3 if u gave him the opportunity and hes a dynamite fielder

Last edited:
cricket_lover said:
What matters is wickets, and Jason can provide that. He is not in a bad form in domestic level, and was unfortunate to miss the recall for the SA series.

In FC yes, not ING which is the ODI format of the game. He hasn't been picking up many wickets in ING.

genghis_khan said:
warne wont be back im tellin ya now

yeh i know wtf is with ponting continually bowling lee at the death? hes done it so often and failed...

Previous match it worked. So must have thinking why not trying him again. :rolleyes: But if I would be the captain of Australia I wouldn't even let him bowl in the last five-six overs, seeing from past experience. Lewis also had one 'magic' over previous year (against New Zealand I think), so maybe that's why Ponting let him bowl.

Lee didn't work the last time lol. He got hit for 16 runs from Pollock. Damage was done by the time he got to his last over.

Ponting is a terrible captain under pressure. Hes fine when the teams going good.

After watching that match going to bed getting 4 hours sleep.
Then going to work im back home and still in absolute shock.

Its not great for the future of cricket but it was still one of the most awesome mathes to watch full of twists and turns and a nail biting finish.
SA would lose a wicket and slow down and you would think ok Aussies are looking good now but then smack,bang,wallop a high scoring over and SA are looking good.
Then another wicket would fall and it was the same again.

Although the pitch was a road the boundaries werent the shortest.
So we cant blame the pitch for this massacre of the bowlers.
The bowling was also not much worse than you would see in any other match every day of the week.

What happened was the batsmen were playing aggresively like they would in 20/20's.
As we have seen in the past when batsmen play super aggresively they get full reward and when they miss hit it somehow falls safely.
Every batsmen after Gilchrist and Katich went out there with that attitude.
Due to the high altitude balls travel further so that gives the chasing team with nothing to lose confidence to go for the biggies.

SA started the chase perfectly and were chasing it down with ease, all they were doing was making sure they hit a boundary every over, then got 1s an 2s of the rest.
Some batsmen got abit carried away with the big hitting and paid the price.

Unfortunately with the decline in bowling ranks around the world and the game and pitches becoming more batsmen friendly this will happen more an more.
Ofcourse i doubt there will be any as exciting as this since it was a first and a thrilling finish.

Some very poor decision making by Ponting towards the end why would you continue with lewis who struggled all day and when he came back was still getting spanked.
Why didnt he bowl Clark at the end, Although his figures didnt look great he was the one bowling while Gibbs was going crazy trying to smack everything out of the park.
He is supposed to be our mcgrath replacement yet he didnt even try 1 over with him towards the end of match?????.

No one could bowl consistnt yorkers but thats no different to any other game without Pollock and Mcgrath.
So once again cant really blame bowlers or pitch.
Just shows what can be achieved when batsmen back themselves and play super aggresively.

If i was a kid who loved cricket you can bet none of them will want to be bowlers if we see any more matches like this.

20/20 the decline of cricket as we know it.

Australias dominance has been over for a little while now.
We are still the best in the world but only just.
We can now be challenged by the top4 teams and the series could go either way.
I think thats great for the game.
2-3 more years and we will be around the 4th best team in the world. :(

ps wheres my hat and webcam gone.

Last edited:
Geez Ponting has done it again. First Edgbaston, second Chappel-Hadlee series and now this. Captaincy will have to be reviewed and the bowling attack really does look pathetic. Looks like Smith has the last laugh on this occassion :D To lose after scoring 438 is an absolute disgrace. As I said before the match I expected a twist in this match and something thrilling (except that I anticpated a drawn match :D) Gibbs does it again and Smith played a gem of a knock as well. This should set up a fantastic Test series and both teams are even atm, if Pollock doesn't play in the first test then Aus would be the favourites.

Without doubt this is the greatest choke of all time :D

Australia lost their first series within 3 and a quarter years. Last time it was against Pakistan. :) Didn't know that.

Australia have lost a bilateral ODI series for the first time since June 2002, when they lost a three-match series to Pakistan 1-2.

Of course, the bowlers didn't perform. But in between the bowlers and captain, there must be a huge problem.

irottev said:
Of course, the bowlers didn't perform. But in between the bowlers and captain, there must be a huge problem.

If I were Ponting, I would make sure Mick Lewis never play any other match as long as I am captain.

moza1 said:
Great innings by Ponting and Gibbs.
That would of been an awesome game to go to.

Especially if you were a saffer fan... I am not sure an aussie fan wud have been thrilled to be at the ground and watch his team concede 438 runs :eek:

Heard earlier on the news that someone betted 20,000 AUS dollars to win :O

Users who are viewing this thread