• Aus test, SA odi series

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • SA test, Aus odi series

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • SA test, SA odi series

Votes: 18 20.7%

• Total voters
aussie1st said:
McGrath and Warne may yet return in the ODI colours. I'm sure they will fix up our problems, its their destiny to finish on a happy note and then sail off into the big world ocean :p

Good to see that Aus are looking to the future... :D

Lets just win the World Cup first then think about the future :)

Found another article on who Thompson thinks should be in the team.

"Mick Lewis is not an international bowler. If we're deadset on winning the World Cup, then you've got to pick guys like Andy Bichel, Shaun Tait and Mark Cosgrove. We just can't get away with it any more," Thomson said.
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18450861-23212,00.html

I don't know what Cosgrove is there to fix cause its our bowling which is the problem. But I'll like him in there too but I feel we need an all rounder to replace the batter (Martyn).

Wildwil said:
Who is the ****ing chokers now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks cricket doctor

That is hilarious! Just because you Australians (not all of you like Duff,Lucky,aussie1st = cool) didn't win a huge scoring game you begin to think of any excuse to why you lost. That is just not cricket irrotev!

I have no Australian blood in me. And thats my reply at 6 am when I woke up and realised that they didn't show such an exciting match here. And im pissed off I missed it.

Gibbsrules said:
We"ll see in the world cup!

We will see indeed. Australia are still favorites by miles though. They need to find a decent bowling attack first of course. I am predicting that Warne will be begged to play, offered a ridiculas amount of money and he will accept. Really, Australia are going to need a spinner over there. And they don't want to play Hogg who is a decent bowling allrounder. Instead they play some chubby old fool who goes for 113 runs.

I don't know what Cosgrove is there to fix cause its our bowling which is the problem. But I'll like him in there too but I feel we need an all rounder to replace the batter (Martyn).

I think Moises Henriques will be a good replacement. He did really well in the U-19 World Cup recently. While he captains the team his batting and bowling performances are excellent. I feel he is the perfect choice. Does Ian Harvey still play and if he does, is he any good anymore?

cosgrove will be a good player, fine batsman that bowls a nippy medium pace.
but id rather see watson at 4 and maybe cosgrove should open.

henriques is a fine prospect.

aussie1st said:
Lets just win the World Cup first then think about the future :)

Found another article on who Thompson thinks should be in the team.

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,18450861-23212,00.html

Cosgrove has an ounce of skill with the ball, but not enough to warrant utilisation in the national team. I don't think Thommo would want Cosgrove because he can bowl, as he has low opinions of better bowlers. I think what he means is that the selectors need to make aggressive selections rather than reactionary ones, ie, no McGrath, lets replace him with a guy who kinda looks like him and ditch the guy who took all the wickets.

I'd rather they be careful with Henriques, as he is young still and international selection is a massive workload for a rookie who both bats and bowls. They should make sure he gets well dug into first class cricket before throwing him in the deep end.

I'd like to see Henriques do something before we start talking about a selection in the National side. Yes, he did have a very good U-19 World Cup, and his composed and mature innings in the ING Final was okay, I think he needs a couple of full seasons playing at State level. As New South Wales are now, he wouldn't even get into a fully fit and available starting XI, so why should he get into the National side?

Cosgrove has been very very good this season in the ING or List A cricket. But I think that Jaques should be ahead of him in the order of entry into the National side. Jaques did score four centuries at 85.37, which is a sensational season.

This appears to be another case of Thomson shooting his mouth off for the sake of it again, and not thinking before he speaks.

It's one of those punts you take on players, Henquries looks to be one worth taking a punt on. If it doesn't come off hopefully he recovers if it does we have found ourselves the all rounder we needed. That how India find such talent and currently we no longer have the depth in the bowling department to wait on these players. If he is picked the selectors need to give him a fair bit of time to settle in and not drop him after one bad game.

I agree that he has all the potential in the world, and will develop into a great player, but the time for taking punts on these players should be over now. Johnson performed terribly in his three overs, and Dorey was really poor in the VB series. I think we should put some value back into the National side and have players earn their positions within the team rather than picking players who have played a handful of First Class games.

The problem is who have earned their places? The top ING cup bowlers weren't Dizzy, Gillespie or Bichel which has to be a worry. You would think they would be able to get more wickets than they did. If you are going by first class then Dorey should be back in the side with Bichel, Kasp and Dizzy. Either way we are taking a risk cause we don't know how Dizzy and Kasper will go in the ODI arena.

just because Henriques is 19 doesnt mean he cant succeed at the top level and have a long career.

Irfan Pathan debuted at 19, now 21 he's leading the indian attack and is fast developing into a world class allrounder.
Shahid Afridi debuted at 16!!! and hes still around...and one of the most feared batsmen.

i think if things become more serious...they should seriously consider playing henriques.

You also forgot one of the greatest batsmen ever - Tendulkar who also debuted at 16 IIRC.

Anyway the usual answer to your comment is that Australia is different to Pakistan and India because they are use to developing talent at very young ages whereas we do it at a later period.

Anyway I would give him a crack at Bangladesh.

If Henriques can't get a game in the Blues Best XI, why should he get a game in the National side?

I think Adam Griffith from Tassie has earned an opportunity to play International Cricket. He took 14 wickets this season @ 26.00, and most importantly, had an economy rate of 4.28, which was one of the best in the competition.

Shaun Tait has shown that he has recovered from his shoulder injury enough to cause problems for batsmen, and he earned his opportunity after taking his 60+ wickets in a single season.

I'd be very happy if they would have selected Kasprowicz to make his return a little earlier, and have played the One Day series over there. His economy rate this season of 4.23 was very tidy, and he's bowling very well again now. I think he has earned his recall, and I hope he does well in the Test Series given he gets a start.

I think over time that both Mick Lewis and Stuart Clark earned their selections with consistent bowling in both forms of the game at state level. I think they'll both get better at International level cricket given patience, and giving them more opportunities. I don't know how fair it would be to blame these two directly for a poor series result in South Africa.

And I agree with what you said above, that we develop our players differently to other countries.

yes but lewis is 32 and its fair to say he has failed in his chance at the top level...i dont think we'll see him again.

Users who are viewing this thread