Australia tour of SA 2014

angryangy

ICC Chairman
I think it shows he lives a life that doesn't revolve around stats and records. Smith's been an international captain for over 10 years, for most of his career. He's won things and gotten his team to the top. But time marches on and if it's a good time to go then it's a good time to go. If you're planning your year around retiring at the end of it, then it's probably best that you retire at the start of it.

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Calm down he has just retired from international cricket :)

War

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Im late but what a turnaroundd the last 8 test has been for Australia. Who would have thought after the 4-0 in India & in England Ashes performances that AUS would become basically the best team in the world at the start of 2014.

Of my head i can't remember a team in history that showed such a drastic transformation in such a short space of time.

As i saw Ian Chappell mention on cricinfo, AUS are just a solid # 3 away from being a perfect side now.

David Warner performances has been a revelation. All series i was saying, yea he is making runs but he is giving so much changes, his Sehwagesque batting style would eventually get him in trouble versus good attacks. But if he bats like he did in Capetown more often - he is well underway to becoming the most dominant & dangerous opener in the game vs all attacks/conditions.

What a bowler Harris has been though, if he never plays test cricket for AUS again - he has already played longer than expected, especially in tests, given his well publicized knee issues.

On S Africa. For some strange reason, they just can't beat AUS @ home it seems during their peak years - however they won in AUS twice in recent years. But quite obviously with Kallis & Smith retired, AUS with their momentum was the worst team they could face right now, since any slight weakness was well exposed.

AUS clearly have an edge over them now, but i think talent wise the proteas are still on par with AUS.

De Villiers or Amla would make good test captains. They got seasoned domestic openers with goodd FC recordds like Andrew Puttick & Stephen Cook, who if given a chance could do a similar role for them that Chris Rogers has done for AUS.

Quinton De Kock is ready, plus they got hot young batsmen Stiann Van Zyl & Rilee Rossouw inching for a chance. Temba Bavuma is also in the equation.

Their fast bowling depth who weren't seen in this series with Hardus Viljeon, Marchant De Lange Craig Alexander, B Hendricks, Andrew Birch is pretty much as impressive as AUS reserves stocks in Cummins, Hazlewood, Bird, Starc, Bollinger, Cutting.

Spin is problem for them since R Peterson & Tahir aint up to scratch, but in the last two test they seem to have realized that their strength in with their quicks - so just back them.

If they want a spinner, they could invest in Simon Harmer who is the current leading wicket taker in their first-class season

So this potential future SA test team should be quite strong still:

Puttick/Cook, Elgar, Amla, Du Plessis, De Villiers, De Kock, Duminy, Parnell, Philander, Steyn, M Morkel.

According to the curent fraudulent FTP, i see S Africa are set to visit AUS in November for 5 ODIs & 3 T20s. Not sure when the new ICC changes kicks in which scraps the current FTP, but we need a re-match test series between these two side in the next 12 months, since its obvious this is new heavyweight test battle & they currently way ahead of the cricket world.

Last edited:

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Jesus DE KOCK !

Umair7

El Presidente
AUS..
Ireland
Kings XI
KK
Hobart Hurricanes
Survival Games Finalist
Champions League Winner
Avengers
Oval Invincibles
Profile Flag
Australia
Can Finchy do it ?? Warner Watson Bailey Come on Boys :thumbs

----------

Yeah but it aint cricket is it. Hate this kind of thing.

Yup you are right :)

War

Chairman of Selectors
Hodge's innings today is what makes AUS so dangerous & T20 favourites for me. You have all the shotguns up top, but the security of having a man of Hodge's experience as a finisher.

aussie1st

Retired Administrator
He could well be the final link needed to take the Aussies to the title. Far too often they have collapsed or not had enough fire power to finish things off. But in Hodge you fill both of those problems.

Lineup looks complete and the batting goes right down to 11.

Samuels

Rally Round The West Indies
WI....
Profile Flag
West Indies
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I agree with you @War for the most part of what you mentioned in the post #198 but I think there will be no point having Puttick in the final XI with de Kock and Amla in the side unless both Puttick and Cook open the innings and Elgar is dropped. As far as the spinners are concerned, you will want to add the name of Shaun de Kock in the list. Rusty Theron can still rattle good batting lineups so he should be in the list of potentials as well.

War

Chairman of Selectors
As far as the spinners are concerned, you will want to add the name of Shaun de Kock in the list. Rusty Theron can still rattle good batting lineups so he should be in the list of potentials as well.

Never heard of de Kock, but i just checked him up and noticed he plays in the CSA Provincial 3-day competition (S Africa version to the English division 2) instead of the sunfoil series 4-day comp. So i'm not sure if he is seriously on the radar, but you never know.

Also on Theron, I've always viewed him as a T20 bowler to be fair, not sure if he would cut it at tests.

Users who are viewing this thread