Australia tour of West Indies March-April 2011/12

That game could be the last of opener Chris Gayle's exile from the West Indies squad with the explosive batsman watching from the stands amid reports his long-running feud with the West Indies Cricket Board had come to an end.

The reports were not confirmed but if true, Gayle may well be back in the squad in time for the fourth and fifth matches in St Lucia later this week.

Good news if true!

:lolThe fact that you lost doesn't make the wicket substandard...

Big of you to show up here though, unlike have-troll-will-travel Sedition.

I reckon if pitches are possible that making batting that hard, they ought to do it more often.

My critique of the St.Vincent pitch has nothing to do with the fact that AUS lost.

I have seen a lot of windies home ODI at St.Vincent over the last 10 years and was always worried about how it would last when i saw the schedule that three games would be played on that surface.

So far my fears have been realized.

My critique of the St.Vincent pitch has nothing to do with the fact that AUS lost.

I have seen a lot of windies home ODI at St.Vincent over the last 10 years and was always worried about how it would last when i saw the schedule that three games would be played on that surface.

So far my fears have been realized.

Yah I agree. It just makes for dull cricket. Either you want batsman to be able to score freely, or you want to help the bowlers out. Here there isn't much for either. There's a bit of turn for spinners, but it's not fast enough to be a spinners paradise. It's just a real grinding match, and for a guy like me who hates the middle overs anyway, these pitches are a snooze fest.

Forrest dropped for Lyon and of course more shuffling with that batting lineup.

Should have happened from match 1, certainly match 2 once the conditions were known. Not quite as bad as leaving Hauritz out at the Oval '09, but similar sort of thing. There was obvious turn in the pitch, not much joy for the quicks, Lyon would have been useful instead of having Dave Hussey. Hussey is handy, but you can't really attack with him on, it's always 5 on the fence.

Lit's tough to drop a batsman for a bowler considering all the batsmen are having a tough time.
On the flip the extra batter hasn't really helped.

I hate playing 8 batsmen. Always have from the time we played Ian Harvey and James Hopes down at #8. I think it makes the top order lazy and it wastes the talent of your 7 and 8. I intend to do some kind of study into it, but I think that teams with 8 batsmen tend to be 4 or 5 wickets more quickly than teams with 7 batsmen. Just sends the message to your top 5 that they don't need to do as much work because the lineup is longer.

It's easy to look at scorecards later, see your 6,7 and 8 have scored some runs and say 'hey its lucky we played a long batting lineup', but that is the wrong conclusion. Twisted thinking really, because if you think the team needs 8 batsmen, then you are basically admitting that 4 or 5 of your other batsmen are probably going to fail. Never a good start if you think that. The only way I wouldn't mind 8 batsmen is if it's with a mind to attack A LOT. eg. send Christian and Wade in to pinch hit in the middle of the innings to accelerate the run rate.

So yeah, I think Australia will actually bat better with only 7 batsmen.

Yeah, agreed. I just wasn't sure if the selectors would go through with it since they've been grooming Forrest, but I'm still too used to the old ways of not doing much of anything I guess.

WI vs Aus - 3rd ODI

Thanks to the Windies victory in the previous match, today has been declared as a national holiday. This match has been sold out and we might witness a carnival atmosphere that symbolizes the Caribbean.

National holiday for what :eek: :eek: Watching Cricket match? :eek:

Well yeah, the stadium's capacity is about three quarters of Kingstown. Filling it basically means nothing gets done anyway.

Well, we pretty much got the batting line-up we wanted, apart from Watson/Wade's roles reversed, but not the start we were hoping for. Definitely need Mike to kick on and make a big one and if Bailey can do something at 4, we mightn't need to screw around with the order so much for the next games. Have a feeling they'll drop Wade back down after his failure and shift everything around again though.

He he! Just watched a short interview with one of the Australian management team. He started to say that Australia were the number one cricket team, took a pause and qualified "one dayers at least". How the mighty (and ultra arrogant) have fallen!

Mickey, what you doing bru?

anything above 215 should be enough for Australia against this West Indies side.

Damn, Bailey looks to tee off and picks Bravo out at square leg. Well made 50 though, just hope they keep this 4, 5, 6 and don't shift everyone up one. Hoping for at least 230, but if 215 is enough, I'll take that too.

Completely fell apart in the last 4 overs. I thought 230 was reasonable when I posted with 10 overs remaining. Highly unlikely at 9/212 with 1 over remaining :p

All the hard work from Hussey and Bailey going to waste. Impressed with the fightback from the West Indies. Roach bowling smart, slowing down his speed and picks up two wickets. Excellent runout by young Bravo.

Users who are viewing this thread