Australia

Yeah I think White's spot might be in a bit of strife if he can't find the middle of the bat soon. But that doesn't mean he would necessarily be dropped, they might just shunt him down to #7 and drop Smith. Depends how well D.Hussey can bowl I guess.

As for injuries, I think you really need to be able to play at least 2 of the 6 first round games for me. That would mean being able to play by March 16 vs Canada at the latest. But we can't carry too many guys or there won't be anyone fit for the warmups, just want 12 at LEAST ready to play those, preferably 13. That puts pressure on M.Hussey, Smith, Ponting and Hauritz. I'd say 2 of those guys need to be fit by Sunday night's warmup vs India. That should be OK I think since Ponting and Smith must be close to playing. But it's cutting it a bit fine, and Australia certainly couldn't afford another injury.

Reason for dropping White would be giving Ponting the same bowling options that Clarke had in the ODI series. All depends on form as White is a match winner and one you would want in the team when in form.

Yea it an interesting dilemma developing with White for sure. Since i reckon the selectors would like to have both Smith & Dussey in the same XI.

I think if Hauritz isn't fit i say don't replace him with another spinner. We were winning without a spinner and i think we can win without one. Bring in the back up batsman we need.

Wow Hussey said he would be right for the 3rd match guess he was being too optimistic. I'm happy with the replacements, Krejza was alright on debut and I've always had Ferguson as Hussey replacement. This will make it easier for the selectors to have both Smith and Dussey in the same side now.

Big big set back.. But I don't want Australia if they lose to say that they were injury hit squad..

With Hauritz now out through injury, perhaps Australia should play four pace bowlers and only bring Krejza in on the genuine turners? Krejza isn't exactly a great wicket-taker in the one-day form of the game, in fact, Hauritz has a signficantly better List A bowling strike-rate than Krejza. I guess Krejza was our only choice, though I didn't know Doherty's injury was so serious as to rule him out of the World Cup.

So we've gone with the 3rd string of players now. If we lose, that'll definately be our excuse :p

Poor Hussey. Only played one World Cup (11 matches and only 6 innings as well) and averaged 17 in it without a single 50. Must be quite a blow to him.

I say, get Siddle ready. I have really huge doubts on Tait's fitness :p tbh he carried successfully during 2007 World Cup :)

I say, get Siddle ready. I have really huge doubts on Tait's fitness :p tbh he carried successfully during 2007 World Cup :)

Would much prefer Nannes to come in if Tait where to break down during the world cup.

With Hauritz now out through injury, perhaps Australia should play four pace bowlers and only bring Krejza in on the genuine turners? Krejza isn't exactly a great wicket-taker in the one-day form of the game, in fact, Hauritz has a signficantly better List A bowling strike-rate than Krejza. I guess Krejza was our only choice, though I didn't know Doherty's injury was so serious as to rule him out of the World Cup.

I'd play Krejza against the minnows and against the good teams who will try to target him eg. India (if we play them...). I can see his success going just like his Test career. The Indians went after him and lost wickets, the South Africans worked him more, but still scored at a good rate against him. There's no real need to attack him due to his inconsistent length, so I'd also consider using Krejza in Powerplays to make the batsmen attack him. That's where he'll succeed IMHO.

If we had 16/17 man squads this probably wouldn't of happened. Hussey said his recovery was coming along better than expected. This is a huge blow and I'm bitterly disappointed.

If I remember correctly, Symonds didn't play till the Super 8's stage of the tournament last time.

Users who are viewing this thread