Australia

Marsh was great, but I really hated how all the commentators pretended like he should have been a lock for the WC squad in the first place. Easy to say when he's playing a good innings...

I'm guessing the injuries to Hauritz and Tait won't be long term ones that will immediately rule them out of the WC, but there will certainly be doubts over them now and Doherty and Siddle will probably get the chance to impress for the rest of the current series.

I'll be disappointed if Haury misses out, as I was starting to enjoy a potential Hauritz/Smith spin partnership. A Doherty/Hussey combo doesn't inspire me at all. There seems to be an obsession with a pairing that must spin the ball opposite ways, so I think Smith will be underused if Doherty plays and might as well be dropped in that case.

Don't know Siddle will be playing much, Hastings and Johnson would take Tait's spot. Unless of course they want to be made look like bigger idiots if Siddle takes a 5 fer.

----------

@ Aussie1st. But death overs is where reverse is really needed to counter the batsmen.

Agree that is definitely missed and both Lee and Tait used that brilliantly. Although I'm sure I've seen some teams get the second ball reverse swinging.

Well I'm sure Siddle will get some games. The selectors will also feel pain if one of Lee/Bollinger/Johnson breaks down as well. And given Australia is already 2-0 up, there is no need to play the top choice XI constantly.

If that were the case then I would try a new guy like James Pattinson. We know what Siddle can do and it doesn't make the selectors look good if he gets a 5 fer.

If that were the case then I would try a new guy like James Pattinson. We know what Siddle can do and it doesn't make the selectors look good if he gets a 5 fer.

Siddle looks much more lethal than Tait, atm. I was really devastated to see Siddle not considered in world cup. I thought, after Mckay got ruled out, Siddle should have been into the squad. I am sure, now he will be considered and hence he will get matches now.

Siddle has never been good in ODIs, hes averaging 38 in this format for a reason. Like Hilfy this isn't his format and we already have enough praying to do with our squad without adding Siddle.

Dirk Nannes should be tried over Siddle.

Siddle isn't a very good odi bowler, I would like to see James Pattinson get a bowl though,easily the best under 23 bowler in Australia and I would say he is a better investment than Siddle.People calling for Bollinger to be out of the 11 have absolutely no idea, i'm glad they arent selectors.Bollinger is easily one of the best 3 pacers in odi and test matches in Australia,even when everyone is fit let alone now we have a few injuries.Johnson rightfully will be a lock in ,since he has a good odi record with the ball,plus he is a very good fielder and can add runs down the order,Lee and Tait should battle for the one spot.But ofcourse Lee's experience quite rightly would give him the edge.

Last edited:
Lee and Bollinger are the locks for me. Johnson has the record but is so frustrating with his inconsistent performances.

Lee and Bollinger are the locks for me. Johnson has the record but is so frustrating with his inconsistent performances.
Lee is not a lock imo as he is coming back from a long layoff and still has abit to prove as a result.Johnson as an overall package is a great option in that format.His inconsistency in this format is still way consistent than Tait and inconsistency in odi's isnt as big of an issue as it is in test,Johnsons strength is he will take wickets and if he has a bad day he doesn't necessarily have to bowl his full lot of ten overs.And the key is he has the record to prove his worth.I like Tait but Johnson should be ahead of him.

Lee has shown enough in the first 2 ODIs, he has been the best bowler in this series so far. Add that with his performance in the Ryobi cup and all he has to do is stay fit to make the side.

good work by Dussey, I like him as a player, so too Clarke but they just have to prove themselves for me to accept them. Clarke has a long way to go, and Dussey has broken the shackles, now lets see him blast a 100 or two b4 the world cup is over

Lee has shown enough in the first 2 ODIs, he has been the best bowler in this series so far. Add that with his performance in the Ryobi cup and all he has to do is stay fit to make the side.
Indeed, I don't see how threat of injury makes Lee a weaker choice. On what he's done so far, he's fit enough and definitely damaging enough. If he does get hurt, then you pick another guy. You can't live in fear of that, anyone could get injured.

Doherty injury raises spin question | Fox Sports

That throws a spanner in the works if Hauritz isn't right. We really don't have any other spinner knocking on the door. If we are picking Krejza it would be based on T20 form which would then have you look at O'Keefe who is the T20 spinner and has equally a good T20 record. Outside of them it's a real lottery, Holland, Heal and the outsiders Beer and Lyon.

Mike Hussey says he won't be ready for the first 2 games which should be enough time to see if White can get himself out of this form slump or not. As Dussey is pushing for a spot and his darts come in handy when we need to dry up the runs while Smith's leg spinners have been taking wickets so to fit them both in White might have to go if he doesn't find form. The other option is moving Smith to 8 if Doherty or Hauritz don't recover in time.

Users who are viewing this thread