Australia

Ponting injury was the killer blow for Hussey, the selectors didn't want to have no spare batsmen heading into the WC.

I just saw the groups today. WOW

Sth Africa, England and India. Australia are lucky they aren't in Englands position.

Damn I'm really gonna miss Hussey in the world cup. Callum Ferguson is also very exciting though.

I think Ferguson can do the same job Hussey did, he just doesn't have the experience yet. Also, he's right handed which is a tad annoying since we have too many of those already...oh well.

Will be interesting to see what Hussey does from here on in ODI cricket. Will he retire for ODIs to concentrate on Tests? Maybe retire from both and become a T20 mercenary. Somehow I can't imagine Mr Cricket retiring until he's completely past it or he can't walk anymore :p

Anyway, if Ferguson does the job in this World Cup, I'd humbly suggest the selectors tap Hussey on the shoulder and tell him to move on.

I think there's no doubt about the fact that he should continue to play in test cricket as Australia haven't yet found a test player who could bat at no.5. Callum Ferguson is not yet ready for test cricket and Usman Khawaja is obviously better suited at the top of the order.

ODIs is a tough call though, he is still one of the top ODI batsmen in the world today and should still continue to play after the world cup and possibly retire in the triangular series next summer.

I do not see Hussey carrying on for long after the World Cup. Same with Ricky Ponting. The Summer of 2011-2012 would be, in all probability their last summer in cricket.

Even thought they have been bogged down by injuries the Aussies have it in them to retain yet another Cup, with Ponting becoming the first captain to lead in a hat-trick of World Cups.

As for Callum Fergusson, young lad, should make good use of the opportunity given to him to cement his place in the team.

tomorrow gonna be a thrilling contest between India vs Australia and Tough Fight For Both Sides Hope Ricky Will Not Disappoint us as he did in Ashes...Great Expectations From Brett Lee:yes

He did use the word 'hopefully' when talking about today's match, so that might imply he's not 100% sure if he plays or not. I think Australia should just rest anyone who's got injury niggles eg. Ponting, Smith, Tait, Haddin/Paine, and then play their best XI in the 2nd warm-up vs SA. They'll have a chance through the tournament to rest guys as well. Definitely the 5th game vs Canada and probably the 4th vs Kenya too could be valuable rest for guys like Watson, Haddin, Tait, Lee and maybe Clarke if his back needs rest.

Judging from the game we just played I wouldn't be resting our batsmen against any side with half decent spinners.

Ah... DAMN.

1. Bowling was decent or you could say good. But against Sth Africa Pace won't be a problem. But same with Australia. No Spinners in either side.

2. Batting: Once again Ponting performs in India and performs well.

3. Captaincy: Ponting back and restricts india to 213

^ You forgot a fourth point :

Always allow tailenders to contribute 50 plus runs to the added total . This has been a hallmark feature of the post WC 2007 team ! For now , these games come to mind :

CT 2009 : England 100/6 to 258 all out
IND vs AUS 7th ODI 2007 : India 90/7 to 180/8 (win by 2 wickets)
Most recently , Finn and Jimmy adding 53 for the 10th wicket
The worst of the lot being the test match at MCG against RSA : 189/7 to 459 all out .
And not to forget the 1st test against India in 2010 : 120/8 to 215/9

And they displayed some similar stuff yet again yesterday :facepalm

Add one more to that - the worst ODI one was in October vs Sri Lanka where Malinga made a 50 and got Sri Lanka home with Mathews.

It's a problem but India has conceded more 50+ run partnerships in the last 2 years for wickets 8-10, as seen here:
Partnerships for wickets 8-10 since Feb 2009

What's also interesting there is how OFTEN Australia gets down to wicket 8-10, they comfortably lead in the number of partnerships. They have played more matches than anyone in the last 2 years, but not by much.

Can't read to much into the tailend batting in the game against India. Once again Ponting was worried about his overrate hence bowling Dussey for so long.

Users who are viewing this thread