Australia's Tour of India - 7 ODI's

I'd like to see some new bowlers from our front. Sudeep Tyagi deserves a go, much better than Ishant but very similar in style. I'm also tempted to give Sreesanth another go, with his aggression, pace and swing, he could be the jolt we need in the bowling attack. Zaheer will probably be recovering from injury so we should take it easy on him and rotate with RP Singh or someone.

Batting wise, I hope Badrinath gets a call up as well, and maybe Nayar should solidify a spot at number 6 or so.

I'd go with -

Virender Sehwag
Gautam Gambhir
Rahul Dravid
Subramanium Badrinath
Yuvraj Singh
MS Dhoni
Abhishek Nayar
Harbhajan Singh
Sudeep Tyagi
Zaheer Khan
Sreesanth

I think we'd be much better off with an allrounder who bowls medium pace rather than a spinner, we have plenty of spinning options as it is.
Rotate Sachin in for a few games at the top of the order as well.

Hauritz and Hilfy have played in India before. But Australia do not play spinners against India since Warney has left.

I think Aussie selectors White love is in dumps now.

Good thing there isn't the same desperation in the ODI side to extend out batting lineup. Wonder if we will bring 2 spinners, Hauritz is definitely one.

Anyone want to change opinions now. :p

I'm sick of watching Australia tour India every year, we have played three test series there this decade and I think this will be the third ODI series we have played not in conjunction with the test series.

I'm sick of watching Australia tour India every year, we have played three test series there this decade and I think this will be the third ODI series we have played not in conjunction with the test series.

I am actually looking for this one now. Now Australia do have chance of winning here.

Posted at Cricinfo before today's game at Centurion:
Australia and India seem to play each other so often that it's hard to believe they haven't met in an ODI for 18 months, when India wrapped up the CB Series at the Gabba. It's so long ago that Adam Gilchrist was still playing

It is the playing of an ODI series one year then a test series the next year that is annoying like 2003/2004 then 2007/2008.

I reckon it'd be worth giving some young blood a go, try another spinner; Heal, Doherty...maybe give Krejza a go in the one day format, see how he goes? Bring over the likes of Cockley, Carseldine (even though he's 33, he could be useful), give Ryan Harris and Ben Laughlin some more experience, maybe try out someone who was prolific last season, such as Klinger or Rogers. Henriques? Started to show some potential against Pakistan A. Ben Rohrer could be worth a go, he's in form in the practice matches, Phillip Hughes should be given a go in ODIs for once. Even someone like Birt/Bailey. If you were to look at an allround prospect, perhaps Butterworth? Steven Smith?

You know what, scrap the entire squad that toured England, pick 3 players from each state with little or no international experience or something and give Henriques the captaincy. And pick McKay/Holland/Wade.

Last edited:
I can't even see Hughes given a return to the test team anytime soon let alone ODI's. There is no point to Carseldine playing but I agree with Laughlin and Klinger, especially Laughlin since Siddle is better suited to tests. If Klinger has another consistant year for SA he should be atleast playing in the CB series.

I'm not a fan of picking a certain amount of players from each state squad but I am a fan of picking nearly separate teams for tests and ODI's since the calendar is more congested.

I can't even see Hughes given a return to the test team anytime soon let alone ODI's. There is no point to Carseldine playing but I agree with Laughlin and Klinger, especially Laughlin since Siddle is better suited to tests. If Klinger has another consistant year for SA he should be atleast playing in the CB series.

I'm not a fan of picking a certain amount of players from each state squad but I am a fan of picking nearly separate teams for tests and ODI's since the calendar is more congested.
Haha, I was kidding about the split state squad, but if I were to pick a realistic 15 man squad based on youth/future, I'd go for something like;

Michael Clarke (C) - Bat
Callum Ferguson (VC) - Bat
Cameron White - Bat/Bowl
Ben Rohrer - Bat
Phillip Hughes - Bat
David Hussey - Bat/Bowl
Michael Klinger - Bat
Tim Paine (WK) - Bat
Moises Henriques - All
Steven Smith - All
Mitchell Johnson - Bowl/Bat
Ben Laughlin - Bowl/Bat
Aaron Heal*/Xavier Doherty* - Bowl
Clint McKay - Bowl
Brett Geeves - Bowl/Bat

Clarke, Ferguson, White, Dussey and Johnson for experience. Hughes could get some form under his belt, Klinger could open or I could even see him in a middle order role. One of Henriques or Smith could play, or Smith could play in place of Heal. Geeves has played a couple of ODIs and done decently, and can chip in with the bat (99* x2 anyone?). Laughlin as you said would be better than Siddle, not to mention that catch he took against South Africa was kind of epic, just on the edge of the boundary. Rohrer's decent in ICC, and I saw he made like 95 or something the other day. McKay's just a star.

Granted, we'd lose 7-0 and it's not even likely a squad similar to this will be picked (Mussey, Lee and Ponting will most likely play), but it'd be good for youth. Just my thoughts.

* - I have no fliping clue how these guys went last season, I think Heal went alright but didn't even know if Doherty played haha

Last edited:
It is the playing of an ODI series one year then a test series the next year that is annoying like 2003/2004 then 2007/2008.

You don't say that playing when you are playing England.

Users who are viewing this thread