Australia's Tour of India - 7 ODI's

Tim Paine goes, they're dropping like flies!

Australian Wicketkeeper Tim Paine is flying home for the remainder of the series following a broken finger sustained it Wednesday's 95 run loss to India. His replacement shall be named soon.
Injured Paine to fly home | Cricket News | India v Australia 2009/10 | Cricinfo.com

Bad luck for the young fella, has showed real maturity in the games he's played. Fingers crossed Matthew Wade or even Phillip Hughes will be called up.

^Hmmm, the man has talent but he's done nothing recently. At least he'd back in the WA team though.

Chris Hartley's made runs for QLD, most of any keeper in this VERY brief month of domestic cricket. Graham Manou went on the Ashes tour so he might have an advantage and he's been batting alright.

Ponting mentioned there's no standout candidate, so I don't think Haddin will be called up. I'd go Manou myself, but it'll be interesting to see if a new guy like Hartley or Wade get picked.

This would have been a good pitch to play a 2nd spinner IMHO and with Lee out, Holland would have been a great gamble in his place.

I'm not sure how important Australia rate this series, but there's no way I'd be forcing Lee and Mitch into games here with a long summer of cricket ahead. Mitch really should have been rested last night, and Lee never should have played the first match after arriving to the hotel maybe 12 hours before the game.

This would have been a good pitch to play a 2nd spinner IMHO and with Lee out, Holland would have been a great gamble in his place.

I'm not sure how important Australia rate this series, but there's no way I'd be forcing Lee and Mitch into games here with a long summer of cricket ahead. Mitch really should have been rested last night, and Lee never should have played the first match after arriving to the hotel maybe 12 hours before the game.

According to Watson, it's pretty important. It's being seen as preparation for the World Cup.

This is where the popularity (with the crowds) and the challenge in the game (facing India) comes. If I were Ponting, I will look to have the best guys on the field for this series. Winning against India in India has always been a big challenge and its no different this time (seeing the way we have played both games)

We are going to have problems chasing or setting big totals until we get a destructive opener at the top. I don't know what happened to Watson, I expected him to be more destructive than this. I don't think Haddin would fix this problem either, hes attacking but not destructive. And what on earth happened to White, hes meant to be the big hitting yet hes batting as slow as Clarke use to.

aussie1st added 2 Minutes and 5 Seconds later...

We need Nannes over here, if we leave both Lee and Johnson out we really lack that extra paceman and Johnson looks all over the shop atm. May as well see how Bollinger goes, Hilfy should be sent back and replaced with Nannes or McKay.

Wade has had some practice at Delhi recently, so there's some sense to picking him. If they're going to give Haddin a game or two to get ready, I'd go with Wade, just to see what happens. I don't think Hartley and Manou are serious ODI candidates. Hartley has made runs, but it is early in the season and they haven't been overwhelming performances. If he really does prove to have a knack as an opening batsman, we'll see as the season goes on, rather than throwing him to the wolves.

Wade 3 innings, 40 runs at 13, SR 71
Crosthwaite 11 innings, 163 at 27, SR 78
Smith 7 innings, 172 at 29, SR 81
Ronchi 8 innings, 107 at 15, SR 86
Manou 8 innings, 105 at 21, SR 88
Hartley 9 innings, 152 at 30, SR 50

The performances of our keepers from last season. Really no one standing out as Ponting said. Ronchi had a crap season but on his day he can give us the flying start we need. Between Hartley and Manou I would go the latter since he can score quicker.

I Sharma was economical (compared to how he was giving 7-8runs per over for last few mathces,here he gave 4.25runs per over) and got wickets, Jadeja got imp wicket of Hussey,that will give him confidance..

I think Manou vs Hartley is a no-win situation.

Manou scores quicker, but he doesn't score quickly enough to justify getting out for 20 or 30 all the time. He has scored 3 50s in 10 years. There are a lot of tailenders who could boast a better record and probably a better strikerate.

That does put Hartley's two 50s in two starts as an opener into perspective, but they are his first 50s ever. He's also not known for a bristling array of attacking shots and even in those better innings he was scoring at 70 or 60 runs per hundred balls. If we weren't to use him as an opener, we'd have to expect a slow scoring effort. That's the sort of thing that would get Johnson promoted and then we'd be in the position of saying that Manou makes a better number 8.

Jadeja can play purely as a bowler and fielder. He is a brilliant fielder, and a useful bowler. Maybe if he continues this bowling and fielding performance of his, he can be used just like how the likes of Nehra, Ishant, etc are used with their batting being zero but their bowling good enough to keep them in. And if Jadeja scores runs, its a bonus. The turn that he got to bowl Hussey was awesome to see. Getting such a big batsman like that is a great sign.

saisrini80 added 7 Minutes and 19 Seconds later...

I Sharma was economical (compared to how he was giving 7-8runs per over for last few mathces,here he gave 4.25runs per over) and got wickets, Jadeja got imp wicket of Hussey,that will give him confidance..

Ishant so far has had a very good series. The pace is slowly getting back to where it has to be. Today, both Nehra and Ishant constantly pegged 140+ which was so encouraging to see. Ironically, it co-incides with the sacking of Venkatesh Prasad. Wonder what surendar must be saying to this.:p

Jadeja can play purely as a bowler and fielder. He is a brilliant fielder, and a useful bowler. Maybe if he continues this bowling and fielding performance of his, he can be used just like how the likes of Nehra, Ishant, etc are used with their batting being zero but their bowling good enough to keep them in. And if Jadeja scores runs, its a bonus. The turn that he got to bowl Hussey was awesome to see. Getting such a big batsman like that is a great sign.

The thing is... his batting is not bad... it's just that the role he's been given doesn't suit his style of play. It's just unfortunate (for him, good for India) that the batting order is so packed that he has to come in at number 7. He's not a number 7 batsman. He can't hit out very well. He has batting talent. It just can't be used properly in such a strong batting line up.

Users who are viewing this thread