Boxing

Anybody seen that programme about Malignaggi on Sky Sports over the past few days? Found it very interesting. I like him. I think he's a great fighter and despite talking crap, he knows what he needs to improve, he knows his game and he knows that fighters such as Cotto, who he fought a few years ago, are great fighters.

Should be a great fight. I want Ricky to win, but I wouldn't mind as much about Malignaggi winning as I did when Floyd Mayweather beat him.

I am really looking forwards to Saturday night, it's going to be a great fight, I'm sure of it and there looks to be quite a few good fights on the undercard, not including the 'Prizefighters' which is always fun. It starts at 9pm and finishes when, exactly? I remember the 'Undefeated' event ran for over 5hrs?

Need to stock up on snacks!! :)

Pretty disappointing fight. Too many jabs, not enough hooks and too one-sided. Good to see Hatton back though.

Wasn't the best fight but that was all down to Malignaggi. Hatton knew that he didn't have to knock him out to win so he didnt try to force the issue. Malignaggi's gameplan was just awful and it's almost as if he refused to throw any punches. One of Ricky's best performances for a good while. He completely outclassed Malignaggi.

Quality from Ricky :D His jab was back, still should have used it to set up more imo but Malignaggi was doing all the holding there anyway so he couldn't really get going. Now he will most likely lose his next fight which would be a double triple mega super duper extraganza. More than likely at Wembley so I'll think I'll go thank you.

Wasn't the best fight but that was all down to Malignaggi. Hatton knew that he didn't have to knock him out to win so he didnt try to force the issue. Malignaggi's gameplan was just awful and it's almost as if he refused to throw any punches. One of Ricky's best performances for a good while. He completely outclassed Malignaggi.

I'm so glad Ricky Hatton shut up Malignaggi! 'I'm gonna bust him up', 'I'm gonna punch Ricky Hatton in the mouth and we'll see where it goes from there'. Yeps, it really went that way! Well done Hatton! It was really funny in the post match interview. Ricky: If there are some of you fallen asleep back home, I don't know if it's 4.30 or 5, WAKE UP!' That was class!

One thing, which belts were up for grabs in that fight? Hatton and Malignaggi each hold a version of the Light Welterweight title, don't they? Does that mean Hatton holds them both now?

If Ricky fights De la Hoya at Wembley next year, I am so going to try and get tickets.

MasterBlaster76 added 2 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Quality from Ricky :D His jab was back, still should have used it to set up more imo but Malignaggi was doing all the holding there anyway so he couldn't really get going. Now he will most likely lose his next fight which would be a double triple mega super duper extraganza. More than likely at Wembley so I'll think I'll go thank you.

Do you know if Sky will show the De la Hoya v Pacman fight? It won't be Box Office, will it? I hope not. Still, with these American events, you really get your money's worth, don't you? Around eight hours of action!

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Agreed, after Malignaggi realised the power of Hatton, he just went into his shell and tried to spoil the fight.

Edit: On a side note, Hatton's brother, Matthew looked quite good v Ben Tackie, didn't he? Some very nice, quick combos.

Last edited:
I'm so glad Ricky Hatton shut up Malignaggi! 'I'm gonna bust him up', 'I'm gonna punch Ricky Hatton in the mouth and we'll see where it goes from there'. Yeps, it really went that way! Well done Hatton! It was really funny in the post match interview. Ricky: If there are some of you fallen asleep back home, I don't know if it's 4.30 or 5, WAKE UP!' That was class!

One thing, which belts were up for grabs in that fight? Hatton and Malignaggi each hold a version of the Light Welterweight title, don't they? Does that mean Hatton holds them both now?

If Ricky fights De la Hoya at Wembley next year, I am so going to try and get tickets.

MasterBlaster76 added 2 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

Do you know if Sky will show the De la Hoya v Pacman fight? It won't be Box Office, will it? I hope not. Still, with these American events, you really get your money's worth, don't you? Around eight hours of action!

MasterBlaster76 added 0 Minutes and 51 Seconds later...

Agreed, after Malignaggi realised the power of Hatton, he just went into his shell and tried to spoil the fight.

Edit: On a side note, Hatton's brother, Matthew looked quite good v Ben Tackie, didn't he? Some very nice, quick combos.
Ricky has a meaningless title at 140 which no one cares about (the IBO) and Paulie had the IBF which does matter but was stripped of it. Just Ricky is accepted as the best fighter at 140 so has the ring title which is what a lot of people accept as the way of judging who's best in the division, although it's not actually a proper belt they just give it to the best fighter in the dvision.

DLH-Pac is box office, you can see the countdown thing on atm which is class, they are doing it week by week like they did with Floyd-DLH which was the biggest seller ever. However with the DLH-Pac fight you get a world title fight with one of the hardest punchers you'll see, then from England beforehand with it you also get a world title fight between Enzo Mac (who lost to Haye) and some fat Yank. Then there was meant to be a world title fight between Nicky Cook and someone but Cook has the sniffles apparently so that might not be on. There's also Audley Harrison (lolz) v the winner of the first prizefighter Martin Rogan and there's Amir Khans comeback.

On the same night on ITV you'll also see Carl Froch try to win a world title, and Froch is pretty good although this is his first real test, he could do well.

and Matthew Hattons crap, ignore everything Ricky makes sky say :p

Ok. I asked about the titles, because I was sure Ricky had two belts round his shoulders at the end of the fight?

By the way, any idea how much tickets for Ricky Hatton v Oscar De la Hoya would cost? £50+, I'd guess...

Yeh Ricky would have had the IBO and ring I imagine.

I have no idea how much tickets to Hatton-DLH/Pac would cost but Richard Schaeffer (head of golden boy) has said he'd have it on a Sunday. Like the superbowl. He also said it would have to be covered. Wembley doesn't have a roof though. So how can it be at wembley? He also said he wants a great undercard and a concert beforehand. So he wants to make it massive to mention Rickys club. Obviously it is more than likely all bullcrap. However that could make it more expensive. I mean £50 at a Haye fight and you would have up with the gods. Wembleys top tier would have been a struggle.

I don't care how much it is though I'm going. Although DLH has to win first.

Good night so far...

Enzo won.
Carl Froch won.
Amir won.
Fraudley lost, somewhat unluckily.

Just Oscar De La Hoya vs. Manny Pacquiao now...can't wait.

Hands up if you want Amir Khan to be knocked out again?

Well we knew De La Hoya was pretty shot but still never expected a former flyweight to beat him. Pac-Hatton might happen although it won't be half the supermegamagic fight that was expected with DLH. The winner of that (probs Pac, although DLH didn't make it look hard) will get Mayweather probably. This fight will be Rickys big chance. Personally I'd like to see Pac Give Marquez a much deserved rematch but Marquez isn't the draw Hatton is.

Well we knew De La Hoya was pretty shot but still never expected a former flyweight to beat him. Pac-Hatton might happen although it won't be half the supermegamagic fight that was expected with DLH. The winner of that (probs Pac, although DLH didn't make it look hard) will get Mayweather probably. This fight will be Rickys big chance. Personally I'd like to see Pac Give Marquez a much deserved rematch but Marquez isn't the draw Hatton is.

Shame, I would've loved to see Hatton v De La Hoya and both the fighters really wanted it, too! I was amazed that Pacman won!! I have to say, I thought 'Golden Boy' looked out of sorts against Steve Forbes (I think it was). It might have been someone else, anyway, his nickname was 'Two Pound'; is that Forbes? Pretty cool story, he started off as a two pound baby, and look at him now! Big, bad boxer...

http://www.stevieforbes.com/biography.php

Last edited:
Yep Steve Forbes, however if you think that's a story check out Tyson Fury. ;)

I've just seen the footage of Pacman v Golden Boy on Sky today. I must say, it was sad to see Oscar like that, he was just a shell, wasn't he? He should definitely pack it in now, maybe should've done after fight v Two Pound, at least that way he would've gone out with more dignity. Against Pacman, it was just embarrassing.

I think PacMan v Hatton will be an amazing fight and I really hope it happens!

Users who are viewing this thread