Boxing

Well it depends, if you want to see Ricky beat the crap out of someone then yes. If you want to see a competitive high intensity fight I would spend the money on setanta :p Will most likely be worth it just for the atmosphere but this is just to get him back into boxing before he fights Malignaggi and most likely Mayweather. Malignaggi will be on the undercard too which should be good.

I feel a bit sorry for Joe that his fight isn't generating anything like the interest that Hatton's did. No disrespect to Ricky but Calzaghe is a much more complete fighter, although not as big a personality.
Let's hope the bright lights of Vegas don't put him off. I'm not going to make a call on this one having backed Earl and Hatton last time but I'd be suprised if Hopkins won ;)

Yep, I guess we like the whole underdog thing too and I don't really think Frank Warrens the best at promoting fights, golden boy did a good job with Ricky. Joe can throw 9 punches a second on a punchbag for 3 minutes, Hopkins is 43 s he should have too much, I honestly think he can KO him.

Joe should win. He's proved he can go 12 rounds attacking like he did against Lacy even though that was soooooooooooo 1 sided. Can't see him losing this, could be Hopkins' last bout too.

Well it wasn't a great fight to watch but certainly nail-biting. After 6 I thought it was going the same way as the Hatton-Mayweather fight but Joe managed to pull it back and his aggression was probably the reason he got the decisions in the close rounds.
I was really impressed by Hopkins though; he had a very good right and fought in precisely the way Calzaghe was most vulnerable to. Seeing as it was a split decision at least one of the judges noticed that Hopkin's was the one whose punches were actually landing.
Anyhow tough win for him and the next question is Roy Jones Jr or Kelly Pavlik (or a Hopkins rematch in Cardiff?)

He did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I still thought he would win after he recovered from the knockdown, he's a proper champion. After reading his book you see how he's different to other fighters and he is one of the best we've ever produced. I can see why Calzaghe won although the judge who scored it 116-111 is an interesting one! He was certainly the more agressive of the 2 and that should be rewarded because if everyone thought like Hopkins the sport would be die. I think Joe as the fight went on just took it away from him, still didn't land too many punches clean but as it went on he got more shots to his body and looked the better fighter, I thought he had him a couple of times. I think had it been a good old fashioned 15 rounder joe could have won it convincingly :p He didn't look as tired after the fight as you've seen him but he couldn't box with the same intensity he always does because of Hopkins style. Thought he showed a lot of character ad brains fighting against one of the toughest men to fight in boxing especially when you consider that Joe doesn't really take much notice of his opponents and study them, to be able to turn it around after a poor start was fantastic.

Hopkins was hilarious with his antics, that never hit him in the balls but oh well, the judges let their feelings about it known on the cards, although I did think Joe trying to shag him whilst he went down wasn't the smartest idea. Didn't think the ref was as bad as people tried to make out, the problem in the Hatton fight was it was all a bit one sided whilst here he told both of them off even if Hopkins was manly the cause. You do worry when a ref has a nickname though.

Anyway most importantly Audrey won! Now he wants to fight Klitschko and unify the titles with Haye :D

Well i heard they were looking for a cure for insomnia.

I know he got a gold medal but I can't believe he honestly thinks as a 36 year old who's boxed really badly in recent times and has nothing better than a reasonable record at a domestic level he will get a world title shot and win! Well if Frank Warren can get Danny Williams and Matt Skelton title shots I guess he has a chance.

The Cleverly undercard fight was pretty amazing, the guy he was fighting had a huge lump on his head, bigger than a golf ball and his corner sent him back in!

Harrison was awful im sure they picked the fella who fought him off the street. Well done Joe! A true champions performence and beat Hopkins in a Hopkins type of fight. Hopkins fought like a 43 year old and used all the cloever tricks like having 5 mins for a low blow etc. One problem about Calzaghe is hes a bit aggrogrant at the start of the fights in his stance etc and thats why he got knocked down. Bloody typical the ref who stopped Hatton holding on then allows Hopkins im sure its not cause he american :p

Well it depends, if you want to see Ricky beat the crap out of someone then yes. If you want to see a competitive high intensity fight I would spend the money on setanta :p Will most likely be worth it just for the atmosphere but this is just to get him back into boxing before he fights Malignaggi and most likely Mayweather. Malignaggi will be on the undercard too which should be good.

Yep, that Malignaggli bloke has got a gob on him hasn't he?? He's worse than Mayweather was, I really hope Ricky shuts him up when they fight!

Have you guys seen the adverts for that 'Strictly Baby Fight Club' programme that's on tomorrow? How can something like that be allowed, you have kids of as young as five years old boxing without a headguard. It's just inviting early brain-damage related issues if you ask me! If my boxing club turned around and said that my nephew had to box without a headguard, I'd say: 'No, he bloody isn't!!!' Those parents should be ashamed of themselves, they're basically using their kids to fulfill the dreams they couldn't attain! Only they're risking serious damage to them in the process.

Hayes holding talks with Klitschko about a fight this year! I love Haye but he said his next fight is in November which means this would be it, taking on the undisputed champion in your second fight at heavyweight is not a smart move no matter how good and confident you are, should take a fight against someone who's big like Klitschko, although to me it looks like Klitchsko's just trying to avoid Peter and his brothers doing him a big favour too.

Yeah I can't see the logic in taking Klitschko as his first fight at heavyweight. Best take someone he's got a chance against first. The step up from cruiserweight isn't one that has been successfully by that many boxers in the past.

its his 2nd fight at heavyweight and i dont understand why people dont think he should fight him, klitschko is no a good fighter! he has got no chin and most of his wins were against people of fraudly harrison quality, i think haye would win the fight within 6 rounds if he gets it! hes faster, stronger! and got much better movement!

Users who are viewing this thread