Brendon McCullum or MS Dhoni

No I only like his calmness as captain. Nothing else. Too bad KKD has not developed.

T20: Mccullum
ODI: both
Tests: Dhoni...

but i would say dhoni has more patience and he tries to get set whenever he bats but mccullum only thinks of hitting sixes which is not good in a sense..

One Dayers: Dhoni ?

Are you mad ? McCullum's been the most destructive one day batsman in the world in the past year, he's in a massive purple patch, and absoloutely destroyed England in the winter. He also faces the new ball in ODi's, and is a much better keeper for me. I'd have McCullum over any other keeper in my ODi team at the moment, he's awesome. No better keeper in the world right now. He started his career poorly (hence the poor average), but he's not coming good, and that average will soon improve. He also takes some immense catches, McCullum ftw.

One Dayers: Dhoni ?

Are you mad ? McCullum's been the most destructive one day batsman in the world in the past year, he's in a massive purple patch, and absoloutely destroyed England in the winter. He also faces the new ball in ODi's, and is a much better keeper for me. I'd have McCullum over any other keeper in my ODi team at the moment, he's awesome. No better keeper in the world right now. He started his career poorly (hence the poor average), but he's not coming good, and that average will soon improve. He also takes some immense catches, McCullum ftw.
Are you mad?

Dhoni averages in the mid 40's in ODI's. I've watched them both play and I've been extremely impressed with Dhoni in ODI's. He uses his head and plays to the teams situation and does it effectively.

McCullum.

Dhoni simply cannot be trusted with the big shots. If it connects for him, it goes a long way, but the problem is with his technique and lack of footwork, it gets really difficult for him to hit the short of good length deliveries and bowlers have quickly figured it out and bowl a short length at him into his body.

He looks awkward facing the short delivery even on flat pitches.

Dhoni really needs to improve his batting against spinners and against the short-of-length bowling to be truly considered a big hitter. I also noticed that Dhoni really doesn't play the delicate glances which are so effective at the end overs when the fine leg and the third man are usually up inside the circle. He wants to blast every delivery down the ground and it doesn't always work.

ya totally agree what you just said dhoni needs to improve a lot in tests and odi

Only thing I can say. One player plays what the situation requires, and the other just tries to hit sixes regrdless of the situation. I still rate Dhoni's 183* against SL the best I have ever seen but what Brendon has shown is also magnificent, in the IPL, ODI's and now Tests (although he is getting owned by Monty ATM :p).

In test Bredon averages about 32 and Dhoni 33, so they are both equal in that department. In ODI's Dhoni averages 45 at a strike rate of 91 and Brendon averages 27 with a strike rate of 88. Personally I think Dhoni is better, he has the ability to captain a side to victory which is easier said than done and I'm sorry to say but McCullum is mindless slogger IMO, he doesn't play for the teams situation. For example, yesterday to Monty he played an unnecessary extravagant sweep shot, now in NZ's situation, it really was a stupid shot.

However both players are equally exciting, however I always feel inspired by Dhoni's captaincy, something which we have not seen by Brendon yet, but I'm sure he is capable of doing because of his attacking mind in ther game like Dhoni.

:)

I don't think you should read too much into McCullum's overall average, he was very hit and miss in his early ODi career. But he's not found a place in the line-up which he enjoys, at the top of the order, and his game is taking shape, and he has been in magnificent form in the past year. In the 2007/08 season, this current one, he averages 53.66, with a strike rate of 109. This compares with Dhoni, who's averaging 50.57 with a strike rate of 79.37. So in the past year McCullums been scoring more runs per innings at a quicker pace. For that reason, i'd much rather have McCullum in my team at the moment over Dhoni. Career stats favour Dhoni, but McCullum has the wood over him at the moment.

Well despite what you say, McCullum is not just smash-bang. I think he has shown tremendous improvement this year, especially in ODIs. He also looks a better batsman than Dhoni.

But Dhoni too has shown maturity in recent times.

Its not fair to compare them on the basis of captaincy, as you dont know how McCullum would fair as a captain given the opportunity. No one knew Dhoni would do so well before he got the job.

u need to get over ur obsession with karthik :P

No.

And besides. Dhoni sucks! Can't you guys see?

He's got absolutely NO technique, the ugliest batsman to watch in international cricket easily.

To me he's a very selfish captain, doesn't really take responsibility on his own shoulders.

With the Superkings, he comes in at three every time situations look easy. From there, he can just slam bang his way for 30 or so and try to prove his worth.

When things get tougher, however, he sends Badrinath/Raina/Morkel up the order to do all the work. They usually succeed, but when Dhoni has to finish it off, he's failed.

Dhoni doesn't have class. Class is what cricket is about, no matter what the format. McCullem, he has class. Karthik, he has class. Sangakarra, his ears are overflowing with class.

Dhoni sucks, he's a flash in the pan. in a few years time he'll continue his decline. There are far many keeper-batsman in India at the moment. But because he's got captaincy, they're not going to come close.

No.

And besides. Dhoni sucks! Can't you guys see?

He's got absolutely NO technique, the ugliest batsman to watch in international cricket easily.

To me he's a very selfish captain, doesn't really take responsibility on his own shoulders.

With the Superkings, he comes in at three every time situations look easy. From there, he can just slam bang his way for 30 or so and try to prove his worth.

When things get tougher, however, he sends Badrinath/Raina/Morkel up the order to do all the work. They usually succeed, but when Dhoni has to finish it off, he's failed.

Dhoni doesn't have class. Class is what cricket is about, no matter what the format. McCullem, he has class. Karthik, he has class. Sangakarra, his ears are overflowing with class.

Dhoni sucks, he's a flash in the pan. in a few years time he'll continue his decline. There are far many keeper-batsman in India at the moment. But because he's got captaincy, they're not going to come close.

I agree that Dhoni's batting lacks class. But he has improved his keeping over a period of time. But on pure wicket keeping merit, Dinesh Karthik is more naturally talented and definitely bats like a proper batsman. Unfortunately at one stage, I think the selectors preferred to give a long rope to Dhoni and it has shown in the way he has matured. On the other hand, Dinesh Karthik was always under extreme pressure to perform and the sword was always hanging over his head after just a couple of failures.

Dhoni has had his fair share of failures, but people hardly remember that. He has been extremely inconsistent as a batsmen in the longer form of the game. But I guess once you attain "superstar" status, people will be far more forgiving of your failures than some others who have the misfortune of having to constantly "perform" without any room for failure to prove their merit.

Dhoni's weaknesses as a batsmen will become more and more obvious the longer he plays Test cricket. Nowhere is he close to class wicketkeeper batsmen like Gilchrist or Sangakkara.

Last edited:
I don't think you should read too much into McCullum's overall average, he was very hit and miss in his early ODi career. But he's not found a place in the line-up which he enjoys, at the top of the order, and his game is taking shape, and he has been in magnificent form in the past year. In the 2007/08 season, this current one, he averages 53.66, with a strike rate of 109. This compares with Dhoni, who's averaging 50.57 with a strike rate of 79.37. So in the past year McCullums been scoring more runs per innings at a quicker pace. For that reason, i'd much rather have McCullum in my team at the moment over Dhoni. Career stats favour Dhoni, but McCullum has the wood over him at the moment.
I don't think you should take Dhoni's strike-rate into account. Over the last year, I've seen him play some responsible cricket in One-Day's where his had to reconsolidate and then accelerate at the end.

Dhoni last season also played 2 ODI series against Australia (1 in Australia - Largest grounds in the world) whilst McCullum played a series against Bangladesh (One where he hit 80 off 30 balls or something) and 1 against England playing on some of the smallest grounds in World Cricket today.

McCullum is also experiencing a purple patch and I've yet to see him hit a century whilst Dhoni has one of the highest ODI scores of anyone currently playing International cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread